Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    aft85 wrote: »
    not sure i understand the formula here.

To add to what auddii said:

Take the last month or two (period of the plateau, if possible). Add up all the calories you ate. If you have skipped days, you can't do this, though, so I am assuming you logged everything. If you have unlogged cheat days, estimate or use a month where you didn't have them. After you add up all the calories (putting them in a spreadsheet makes this easier), divide by the number of days. If this IS a period where there was no gain or loss, that's your TDEE.

Then go back to the most recent period where you were losing and do the same, but also add in 3500 calories extra for every lb (2.2 kg) you lost during that period before dividing by the number of days. That's your TDEE then. Better to use a period of at least a month or two, as weekly fluctuates too much.

Figuring out these numbers can be helpful.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

I think I will look at that trendweight thing.

How can you work out an accurate exercise figure though if the calculators are wrong?

Honestly, trial and error. And you may not want to hear this part, but it's most effective when you're dead on with your calories in. If your calories in varies from day to day, then you may very well struggle with the calories out part. It's be like solving an equation with too many variables.

I use a trendwright program (HappyScale) and it's been really helpful in getting me to not dread the scale because I understand my fluctuations better. So, for me it's more like Less-Unhappy-Scale, but I'm getting there. :blush:

I wear a fitness tracker. It helps me, though it does underestimate (or the translation from the tracker app to MFP) the calories for plain old steps. For calories burned during cardio when I'm wearing the HRM, it's exact. For yoga, I used spark people and for the 90 minute class I enter between 70-80 minutes depending on how slow we start and finish (educated guess). It has worked well for me. I'm in maintenance, though, and have a little more leeway. I did not when I was at 1200 calories a day.

From the way you talk about yourself and your body, it seems you may be holding onto a lot of self-loathing. Can you talk to someone about that? You're the only you you've got! Please take care of yourself (and not just physically)!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, there are so key questions you've been asked that you haven't answered.

How long has it been since you've lost? How much weight did you lose before that? Over what period of time? Age and height? This is all relevant.

Also is how you know you aren't making logging mistakes. Among other things, there are wrong entries in the database, and surely not everything you eat is packaged. (You also have to double check packaged stuff, although I personally don't weigh single serve packaged stuff. I do weigh other things that come in a package, like smoked salmon or greek yogurt from a multiserving container or nuts or cheese, etc., and I'd certainly weigh nut butter if I ate it.

But that aside, I'm noticing something else that's worth responding to, even if you are certain your calories are 100% accurate.
    I had therapy for years over an eating disorder, I know how to log food, I know how to measure food, I had a doctor berate me constantly over my inaccuracies. I know how incredibly disappointing it is when it turns out that 80grams of something is actually just nothing on a plate but there isn't room for anything more.

Because it could be relevant (ignore this if you want -- your business, not ours, if you don't want to share), what kind of ED did you have where you were encouraged to weigh and "berated" (I also wonder if that was perception) for inaccuracies? How were the inaccuracies discovered? I do see how this would make you sensitive about others second-guessing your counting/logging, but the fact is that most people who don't lose over a significant period of time aren't logging well. (This includes me, although I know this so haven't asked why I'm not losing.)

But anyway, this next bit is what I mostly wanted to address:
    I worry that this is all just heading to piling weight back on. Every day is just another dead stop of a day, with a goal nowhere nearer, and just a heavy ugly body that looks disgusting. It's just disappointment at thinking I can never just eat something anymore, it's all got negative consequences.

What has helped me is NOT focusing on weight so much or at least taking a break. Working on the negative thoughts about your body often helps make losing easier, not harder, and focusing on fitting into clothes or -- better still -- things you can control like eating really well (from a nutrition POV -- this does NOT mean no treats or even no cheese, which I ate even when I was doing 1250, just in small amounts or more rarely) and being as fit as possible (focusing on exercise or achievement goals, like training for a race or C25K or strength goals or being able to complete a hike or video you can't now, etc.). If there are positive improvements you want to make to things that you can see keeping during maintenance, that's also helpful to focus on -- meal planning, cooking, eating vegetables, whatever it is. Reframe your idea of success to things you can control and stop beating yourself up over the rate you are losing or the number on the scale.

Frankly, after changing focus for a while I tend to find that I do lose anyway, but that's not really the point -- the point is that if you live a healthy life and eat a sensible number of calories you can be extremely healthy and fit, no matter what the scale says. And you will probably start to feel better about yourself independent of the scale.

To the extent there's an issue like an occasional off plan day logged or not or underlogging, I think moving the focus from the scale (or sometimes increasing from an overly low calorie goal) can help with that, but again, not really the point, just sometimes a positive side effect, even if people can't see why.

Stressing less could help too. Worth a try.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I don't understand what this message board is for to be honest if everyone posts the same advice with the same graph and then gets annoyed if you say that you've already heard that advice. It's depressing to get criticism over not being more 'yes thank you that's amazing advice i've never seen that graph before' when you already feel like you do everything wrong.
    I like this graph better:
    u13oyv31zswp.jpg

Stealing this!!
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know you doubt the food scale, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. My grocery sells 6 oz servings of salmon for X dollars. They are already sliced up in the seafood case. So I took it for granted that they WERE 6 oz. I started weighing them and no, they mean AROUND 6 oz. Sometimes it's 5.5 and sometimes it's closer to 7. So now, even though they SAY it's 6 oz, I always weigh.

With salmon, probably not that big of a difference calorie wise, but AHA, they also do steaks that way. 8 oz rib-eyes for X dollars. Guess what? Sometimes 7.5 and sometimes almost 9 oz. So you really can't be too careful.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    same with a protein bar I had it said 88g for the whole bar. I weighed it without the packaging and it was 100g. even had I cut what the package calories said for half the bar I would have still been over by 6g per half. it does add up. I learned the hard way when I was using measuring cups. I lost weight in the beginning but then I started gaining some of it back. bought a scale and weighed and lost that weight I gained and then some.packaged food is allowed to be off by 20% or more. what I thought was a half cup of oatmeal(40g) was more like 1 cup or even 1.25 cups when using the measuring cup.even after 4 years I still cannot eyeball the portion sizes,I get close though.if you dont want to weigh anything then I would say cut your portions a bit more and go from there. but for me the scale was the best investment I made
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't do 1200 calories.. there is really no where to go from there. I read on here long ago..many women who lose on 1200 are stuck at super low calories at maintenance and it is hard to live life that way.

You need to find your way.. decide to either increase your calories and exercise so you can eat more. .perhaps that would get things moving. Or eat more calories two days a week and then keep it 1200 the rest and see if that works. Good luck.. i can see why you feel discouraged.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This is why I don't do 1200 calories.. there is really no where to go from there. I read on here long ago..many women who lose on 1200 are stuck at super low calories at maintenance and it is hard to live life that way.

You need to find your way.. decide to either increase your calories and exercise so you can eat more. .perhaps that would get things moving. Or eat more calories two days a week and then keep it 1200 the rest and see if that works. Good luck.. i can see why you feel discouraged.

No, if she's not losing weight she does not eat more, she needs to eat less. There are clearly miscalculations somewhere if she's maintaining when she wants to lose.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

ninerbuff wrote: »
    So your weight has stayed the same for 6 weeks or more with doing everything exactly the same? If not, it's not a plateau. If you're stalled, then you're body is adapting to the amount of calories you're taking in. Homeostasis. So walk faster first.

No, she has not.
    so I got down to 86.7 kilos, but since then nothing has happened for a month, it's crept back up seems to be stuck around 87.7 kilos.

i thought maybe it was because august was a bit erratic, but there's still nothing doing. sigh. it was so much easier to keep to 1200 calories when it was producing results, but when it's not, you just feel like a fat person who isn't having all that much to eat. i'd hoped i'd be further along with losing weight, but instead i get people going 'are you still doing that diet then?' :(

She states that August was erratic and also implies is that she is probably not keeping to 1200 because she feels discouraged.

OP, not trying to diss you in any way. Just pointing out the cause of the plateau, which is not really a plateau because it does not meet the definition of no change in weight for 6 weeks while doing everything else EXACTLY the same. I often don't see a change in the scale for 2-3 weeks. It's not a plateau, it's a normal fluctuation. Furthermore, pay no attention to the unhelpful comments from your friends.

• chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Start weight training
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First point, 1200 calories leaves a person no where to go and I would think that obviously a person will bottom out hense plateau or reach a point where to body is adapting to low calories.

Second point, to reach the point of a true plateau, a person absolutely has to be 100% on point with calories in and calories out, in short know that their data is 100% accurate. In this case a food scale is not being used and with this variable alone, one can assume that the 1200 calories intake is much more than reported.

However, to break a true plateau or stall (again everything has to be on point for one to determine true stall) is to increase calories by reverse dieting and perhaps alter their NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) or EAT (exercise activity thermogenesis), in short move more..

There is clearly options or a strategy that can be followed that does not include reducing caloric intake. A reset is needed to break the homeostasis point where the body has reached its potential for losing weight at such low calories.

If a woman on this thread has not seen Lyle McDonald's podcast Women and Fat Loss, I encourage you to watch it. You can find it by searching Lyle McDonald Nails It in the MFP forums, or just request here and I will attach it.

All of you have provided OP with great advice as I can see a lot of you (including my self in the past) have reached this before and in many cases more than once.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    First point, 1200 calories leaves a person no where to go and I would think that obviously a person will bottom out hense plateau or reach a point where to body is adapting to low calories.

No, that is not what's happening here. She's miscalculation somewhere and needs to figure that out.
    There is clearly options or a strategy that can be followed that does not include reducing caloric intake. A reset is needed to break the homeostasis point where the body has reached its potential for losing weight at such low calories.

No, OP needs to figure out where her errors are. There is no need to reset anything.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    You know, the 5 grams you mention... 5 grams of cooking oil extra is 45 calories. If you have 10 items of food on a day and they all were off by just 5 grams then that's 200-450 calories you didn't account for.

This. So much this.

When you're close to goal as a woman you have very little margin of error in order to lose. Using my food scale has saved me over 150 calories per day on packaged foods alone. I would NEVER guess on meat or cheese again after seeing the difference. Hundreds of calories per day there as well.

If you call not stalling because I am accurately counting my calories an eating disorder, I can live that.

I pretty much gave up on cheese right at the start because it's 100 calories a bite essentially. Even though cheese is like the only thing I ever want to eat. sigh. and not much of what i eat uses cooking oil.

Have you tried changing your macros? I was eating 50% carb, high protein, and very little fat before coming to MFP. Then I started playing around with macros. My body seemed to respond to low carb/high fat in a positive way and I lost some weight after a very, very long plateau. Then after I lost some weight I went on intentional maintenance to keep the new weight loss off. My body seems to really like having the cheese, healthy oils, oily fish, etc. Don't give up. I hope you find what you need to get satiety and well being. I couldn't get to keto level and do like starchy vegetables. However I have cut out wheat and sugar in general which those two specifically seemed to turn on cravings, aches and pains, and hunger for me. I'm not saying that this will work for you, but you can experiment with it to see. The first week was difficult but the body adjusts fairly quickly. I am pain free and have more energy now. My outlook is positive for continuing on the fitness path long term.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

No, that is not what's happening here. She's miscalculation somewhere and needs to figure that out.

No, OP needs to figure out where her errors are. There is no need to reset anything.

I am in complete agreement that this NOT OP. I made that statement because 1200 calories is really the lowest a person can go and that if one is eating like this on such low calories and for a long period of time this can happen.. It was merely for context and so was the rest.

My next sentence says she cannot be 100% on point with food intake and its accuracy hense she is not using the variable or tool if you will to help her achieve the accuracy,, the food scale.

She just needs to reevaluate period. I hope she got enough information from the entire thread to help her move with the next step.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Second point, to reach the point of a true plateau, a person absolutely has to be 100% on point with calories in and calories out, in short know that their data is 100% accurate. In this case a food scale is not being used and with this variable alone, one can assume that the 1200 calories intake is much more than reported.

However, to break a true plateau or stall (again everything has to be on point for one to determine true stall) is to increase calories by reverse dieting and perhaps alter their NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) or EAT (exercise activity thermogenesis), in short move more..

If a woman on this thread has not seen Lyle McDonald's podcast Women and Fat Loss, I encourage you to watch it. You can find it by searching Lyle McDonald Nails It in the MFP forums, or just request here and I will attach it.

All of you have provided OP with great advice as I can see a lot of you (including my self in the past) have reached this before and in many cases more than once.

Great video! It's long - I watched it while stretching over a few sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • RobPA1
    RobPA1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's not all about calories in vs calories out. It's about insulin. Do yourself a favor and go on youtube and look up insulin resistance.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    RobPA1 wrote: »
    It's not all about calories in vs calories out. It's about insulin. Do yourself a favor and go on youtube and look up insulin resistance.

No, this is not correct, do some real research and leave the gurus to babble their junk science.