Natural wheat bran

Options
I bought a packet of it from my local supermarket about a month ago. I tried and it works well for me, so I thought I would recommend this product here. The product is not expensive and there are many different brands of 100% natural wheat bran without added sugar. I add a few tablespoons (did it gradually) of this to my breakfast and soups. I am fuller for longer when I take this first thing in the morning and keeps me regularly.

According to Live Strong:

Basic Nutrition
The nutrition data included in this article is for a 1-ounce portion of wheat bran, which is a half-cup. This serving size contains 60 calories, 1 gram of fat, 18 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of protein. The same portion provides 12 grams of dietary fiber, which represents 48 percent of the entire recommended daily value. Since this nutritional analysis is of pure wheat bran, it’s helpful to compare it to half a cup of bran cereal, which includes other ingredients and slightly less wheat bran. The equivalent serving of bran cereal contains about 8 grams of dietary fiber, or 33 percent of the daily value.

Vitamins
Wheat bran is a good source of the B vitamins, including niacin at 19 percent of the DV; vitamin B6 at 18 percent of the DV; riboflavin and thiamin, both with 10 percent of the DV. You’ll also receive 6 percent of the recommended daily value of folic acid -- B9 -- and pantothenic acid -- B5. Finally, wheat bran provides a small amount of the fat-soluble vitamins E and K.

Minerals
Wheat bran is a rich source of eight important minerals. It is exceptionally high in manganese, providing 161 percent of its recommended daily value. It also provides extremely high amounts of magnesium -- 43 percent of the DV -- selenium -- 31 percent of the DV -- and phosphorus -- 28 percent of the DV. Dropping a little but still considered to be a good source, wheat bran provides 16 percent of the daily value of iron, 14 percent of zinc and copper and 9 percent of potassium. The final mineral found in wheat bran is calcium, at 2 percent of the DV.

Fatty Acids
Even though wheat bran contains a small amount of saturated fat -- 0.2 grams or 1 percent of the DV -- it also provides healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. A half-cup of wheat bran provides 46.8 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids and 571 milligrams of omega-6 fatty acids.

Replies

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I had wheat bran hot cereal this morning :)
    I added apples, cinnamon, vanilla and a splash of pumpkin-caramel coffee flavourings. My kiddo added a dollop of cool whip to hers.
    It was SO delicious!!
    53qwlwgrmlvr.jpeg
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I added wheat bran to the crumble part of an apple and pear crumble I made on the weekend! yes, its great!