Coffee Addicts Unite

Options
IDK. Maybe it's just my Miami roots talking but:
Is anyone else addicted to coffee and bread products in the morning? Any healthy alternative suggestions?

Replies

• jkr1000
    jkr1000 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not from Miami but definitely would always go for a coffee and toast in the morning. I tend not to have milk so don't see the problem with a coffee. As for breakfast I did wean myself off the toast by cutting down and having 1 slice with maybe a poached egg. I try and vary my breakfast as I get bored easily then I slip back to my toast. I love smoothies and after a great fruit harvest from my neighbour over the summer have really enjoyed them and I find adding a few oats helps keep me fuller for longer, however without the free fruit can't really afford to have too many. So trying to come up with new ideas ready for the winter, I love omelettes and porridge and they are so versatile as you can add pretty much anything to them. Banana omelette is a fav at the moment, I mash a banana add 2 egg and me and my son share it. Hope that helps, good luck with it
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Fellow coffee addict although I like to think of myself as a connoisseur instead. I can't have food with coffee though...it helps my digestion ;)

Nothing wrong with having coffee and bread. my mom has a toasted english muffin with her coffee daily. She is obese but she's not working at all to change that. However lots of people have a pastry with their coffee in the morning. Just track it, fit it into your day. Obviously if it's complex carbs like whole wheat etc it may help take longer to break down so it will be "healthier" than white bread.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Nothing's unhealthy about coffee unless you have an adverse reaction to the caffeine or if you load it up with so many calories that you can't meet your calorie goal.

I'm definitely a caffeine addict, but I'm staying that way.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Guilty. I was up to 4 cups a one point and was sleeping the whole night! I have now cut back to 2 cups a day.
  • hcumplido
    hcumplido Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What sort of "bread" do you eat with it, and what does it cost you calorie wise? Because a slice of toast is relatively low calorie, but if by "bread" you mean a pastry...that's a whole different story!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Guilty of coffee.. but not bread.. My day is not started in any normal fashion with out my two cups. I also have a cup or two later in the afternoon sometimes.

I do love "bready" stuff though.. but in the morning this would just leave me more hungry not to long after consuming.. Breakfasts for me consist of protein, fats and little carbs. Help me stay fuller longer till lunch time.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted! I'm half Brazilian so I've been requiring coffee in the morning since I was about 4!

The coffee isn't too bad - you just have to watch the sugar and cream. As for breads, I eat a B-Up protein bar every morning with my coffee. It's a compromise, but they seem more like a bready pastry as far as texture and taste go than any other protein bar I've found. They aren't too sweet, not chocolate coated, and just seem more like breakfast. My alternative is a Clif bar, like the blueberry crisp or Sierra trail mix ones, but they are a lot sweeter.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Pan tostado en la manana, y una tazita de cafe, de cafe!

I usually have a big whompin' latte and a kashi bar for breakfast, but occasionally yes will splurge with cuban cheese toast, almost no nutrition and so many calories but YUM.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine in moderation. Although I drink it black. I don't eat any bread in the morning, usually I eat a bunch of vegetables.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It used to be coffee and cigarettes in the morning - I quit smoking quite some time ago, but the coffee jones is still strong. I can drink gallons and not worry about sleeping. I try to limit myself though as I do like cream and sweetner in my coffee, and the cream can steal those few precious calories that I might need later!
  • ldnewlady
    ldnewlady Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm a coffee addict. The problem is I just can not drink it black. I have tried and tried and have been unable to drink it without adding flavored cream. I wish I was one of the lucky one's that can. :'( I have attempted several times in the past to get rid of coffee and the longest I ever lasted was a month and I went back full swing.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Coffee Snob here..must have coffee and not crap coffee either..LOL

I am one of the lucky peeps..I can drink it w/cream & sugar/ just cream and now..I just drink it black..

ptge3e7ri2go.jpg
  • BridgetHarrington
    Options
    I love coffee and just drink it black. In my house growing up, no one ever used sugar or cream. If I drink coffee with milk or cream, I can't stomach it.

I used to like a bagel in the morning, but since I started this, I also started cutting all of the bread products out of my diet. Now I just have scrambled egg or a veggie.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not a coffee addict but I stopped adding tons of sugar to mine (never used cream or milk) and, doing so has essentially made my coffee calorie free, which I can drink entirely w/o concern for my diet.

Usually only drink 1 large cup a day in the morning that I get from S-bucks or another coffee shop when I'm out and about. So, the caffine isn't an issue for me either.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The day can't start until I have my coffee :) Was using creamers then finally made the jump to black with no sugar/sweetener or creamer. Not a big bread fan, but as long as it fits your goals there is nothing wrong with it.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Coffee yes. Bread no. That being said..... 9ebqh4l5h6yg.jpg
  • RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We make lots of healthy decisions throughout the day in an effort to get and/or remain healthy. I don't add sugar to my coffee because I prefer it unsweetened, and I truly, truly enjoy everything coffee brings to my morning. I will always keep coffee in my life. I'll pay the calorie cost for the half and half or milk, gladly!

As for the toast, you do what you feel is best. Maybe have toast some mornings and not all of you want to change that. But the coffee? Let the coffee stay!
  • caNwa
    caNwa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    idnewlady: I don't care for black coffee much of the time either.. I just have a creamer and count the calories.. it's worth it to me. :)