Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Bariatric Rescues

Options
Madwife2009
Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
Just saw this on the BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37384318

It's so sad, especially the last quote:

"Senior doctors I speak to say there are many people who don't leave their homes so they don't even put themselves in a position where they may need to be rescued.

"They are scared of being seen in public."

Tragic.

Replies

• pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    But how does a person get to that condition in the first place?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What's the debate topic?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    pdm3547 wrote: »

Reading the article, many of them had medical reasons.

"The vast majority of people I encountered were obese because of medical reasons - lymphedema in particular. Some were partially mobile, some were wheelchair-bound and some were completely bedridden."

Lymphedema and lipedema can get pretty severe.

I'm sure some of them were also fat on top of that, but that's easy to explain. How does a person get fat? By eating too much for their activity level and not having weight controls high enough on their list of priorities. Just like many of us got here.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm sure some of them were also fat on top of that, but that's easy to explain. How does a person get fat? By eating too much for their activity level and not having weight controls high enough on their list of priorities. Just like many of us got here.

Well, OK. I'm sure that's scientifically true

I have asthma which is a lifetime chronic condition. Every 12 months, I have to go an see the practice nurse for a review of my medication before they resubscribe. In the past, I've had a finger wagging conversation about my weight, BP, etc.

Surely if people have other chronic conditions, their GP has an oversight of their overall medical condition. That's what I mean about "how do people get in this position?"
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

"The vast majority of people I encountered were obese because of medical reasons - lymphedema in particular. Some were partially mobile, some were wheelchair-bound and some were completely bedridden."

Tangentially, I'm curious about these conditions because while I know they can be severe (I've googled anorexic lipedema), as far as I know, the severe case came after the person had lost weight everywhere else but could not lose it from the affected limbs.

Do you know more about the condition to enlighten me?

I'd like to know this in light of how they became disabled and hard to rescue... sort of a chicken/egg thing here. I know lipedema progresses in stages, but in most photos I've seen of stage 1 sufferers, they were of normal weight. Does the act of putting on weight make the disease progress?

If you don't know, I'd hope that someone else does. The disease fascinates me for some reason.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Tangentially, I'm curious about these conditions because while I know they can be severe (I've googled anorexic lipedema), as far as I know, the severe case came after the person had lost weight everywhere else but could not lose it from the affected limbs.

Do you know more about the condition to enlighten me?

I'd like to know this in light of how they became disabled and hard to rescue... sort of a chicken/egg thing here. I know lipedema progresses in stages, but in most photos I've seen of stage 1 sufferers, they were of normal weight. Does the act of putting on weight make the disease progress?

If you don't know, I'd hope that someone else does. The disease fascinates me for some reason.

I don't know much about lipedema, except that the whole thing is not yet well understood. Some theories that it has to do with hormones. Undiagnosed it's actually often mistaken for obesity in stages beyond 1. Some people are both obese and have it, which makes things worse. Sadly, it does not respond to caloric intake because it's caused by fat cells filling up with fluid and you can't diet that water away. The only thing that kinda works is liposuction to remove as many of these abnormal fat cells as possible.

I haven't read about it in depth, but I know a relative who has the condition. She is both fat and has lipedema, but fluid deposits make her weigh much more than she otherwise would have. Randomly guessing, judging by her upper body, she would have been about 200-230 pounds but she weighs 295 and her case is not one of the worst. What's even worse if you have both lipedema and lymphedema - that double whammy of edema can be devastating in later stages. Google stage 4 of either edema. Not many people get to weigh 600-700 pounds by being fat alone.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Very thoughtful explanation. Thank you for sharing your very personal story.