Cardio only

Options
I am asking this out of curiousity but what happens if you do only cardio ( walking /elliptical etc) and no resistance training / lifting. Is lifting that important when losing/maintaining weight?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    resistance training is important to minimize the loss of muscle mass which is inevitable when you diet...without resistance training you will lose more muscle mass along with your fat than you would otherwise.

In general, muscle is a use it or lose it thing...it's a pretty expensive commodity for the body to maintain...if you're not using it and you're not fueling it (dieting), the body will ditch it in order to conserve energy and be more efficient. This effectively lowers your metabolism as well.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    resistance training is important to minimize the loss of muscle mass which is inevitable when you diet...without resistance training you will lose more muscle mass along with your fat than you would otherwise.

In general, muscle is a use it or lose it thing...it's a pretty expensive commodity for the body to maintain...if you're not using it and you're not fueling it (dieting), the body will ditch it in order to conserve energy and be more efficient. This effectively lowers your metabolism as well.

Thanks for the reply :) ! Wouldn't you be using muscles tho when doing cardio??
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You'd be using your leg muscles and secondary stabalizing.... but if you want to get technical... you're using a different type of muscle (Type I). Type II are the powerful muscles used for sprinting, etc. Distance runner physiques vs. Sprinter physiques.

For losing weight exclusively, lifting isn't more advantageous than running really. It's just your goals/what you're training for. For "fit chick" physique... lifting is what delivers in that regard.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply :) ! Wouldn't you be using muscles tho when doing cardio??

1. You're using a different type of muscle (type I).
    2. If you're doing just cardio, you're pretty limited as to what muscles you are actually using...

Beyond that, only doing cardio is pretty imbalanced from an overall fitness perspective...as a matter of general fitness, both cardiovascular work (for your cardiovascular health) and resistance training is important. More specific fitness goals would dictate where the emphasis would be, but both are important. Where weight loss/maintenance is concerned, your diet is going to play a more substantial roll here than anything else. I usually cycle around 80 - 100 miles per week and lift a couple days per week...I've gained weight doing that...because I was eating too much. Weight management is simply about energy (calorie) balance...not what exercise you are or aren't doing.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The only thing driving your weight loss is a caloric deficit. That said when people picture bodies that are "in shape" they are typically picturing bodies that have lifted heavy weight. Weight lifting is what is necessary to get that "shape" look, otherwise you end up just looking smaller.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Haven't you asked this before?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What kind of cardio are you doing? Years ago before I started lifting I did only cardio.. HIIT, kickboxing and plyometric type stuff. Results were pretty good because I was engaging a lot of muscles. However I look a lot "tighter" now that I lift heavy.. both looks were nice in different ways though.

ETA: In the past when I did that cardio I was pretty much at goal weight give or take 5lbs. Lifting heavy was more post-pregnancy so more weight to lose.
  • healthy491
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What kind of cardio are you doing? Years ago before I started lifting I did only cardio.. HIIT, kickboxing and plyometric type stuff. Results were pretty good because I was engaging a lot of muscles. However I look a lot "tighter" now that I lift heavy.. both looks were nice in different ways though.

ETA: In the past when I did that cardio I was pretty much at goal weight give or take 5lbs. Lifting heavy was more post-pregnancy so more weight to lose.

I just do elliptical training , its the only exercise I enjoy
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

You were doing some basic strength stuff earlier this month.. Did you not like this at all?

"80 sit ups and 50 bicycle crunches once a week
    50 single leg raises and 30 hamstring curls with weights once a week
    30 bicep curls and 30 overhead lifts once a week"

But to answer your question, you don't have to strength train, is it highly recommended? yes, of course. Strength training as well as cardio together can compliment a persons weight loss and definitely help maintain. Also as you age, through the aging process we tend to lose some muscle. Think "long term effects".

But where a person uses exercise for the sole purpose of losing weight with no fitness goals is where it comes to question. A person should exercise for the sole benefit of health. But of course through strength training you can work on increasing your metabolic rate as well through building muscle as well as it can make you "look pretty" too. LOL

If you read @dano74's and @cwolfman13 posts these are very accurate statements.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    > Is lifting that important when losing/maintaining weight?

Lean muscle is energy-hungry, so yes. Having lean muscle mass makes you burn more calories while active (making your cardio more effective) and also at rest. If you're losing weight smartly you gotta lift.

Besides, a long time ago when I was less informed I hyper-focused on cardio and even though I got smaller/lost fat, my body looked like *kitten*.
  • healthy491
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

You were doing some basic strength stuff earlier this month.. Did you not like this at all?

But to answer your question, you don't have to strength train, is it highly recommended? yes, of course. Strength training as well as cardio together can compliment a persons weight loss and definitely help maintain. Also as you age, through the aging process we tend to lose some muscle. Think "long term effects".

But where a person uses exercise for the sole purpose of losing weight with no fitness goals is where it comes to question. A person should exercise for the sole benefit of health. But of course through strength training you can work on increasing your metabolic rate as well through building muscle as well as it can make you "look pretty" too. LOL

Actually I didnt mind it and was getting used to it but on MFP they told me it was useless so I just stopped doing it
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options

Actually I didnt mind it and was getting used to it but on MFP they told me it was useless so I just stopped doing it

Someone here told you it was useless? That's crazy.. Everything you do in terms of exercise is useful..

I think maybe folks were saying possibly that you may want to have a specific strength training goal in mind?

Well I hope that you see now that lifting is good.. more muscles mean more metabolic rate, and thus you burn more calories.. it can also enhance your cardio goals as well. And keeping your muscles maintained through weight loss is a key element to make sure you do not lose muscle as you want as much of this be as much fat as possible..

Perhaps you will reconsider the lifting part or moreover find it enjoyable enough to want to do it.. It is a personal choice, I wish I had started a lot earlier than the age of 46 and I now 48.
  • healthy491
    Options

Someone here told you it was useless? That's crazy.. Everything you do in terms of exercise is useful..

I think maybe folks were saying possibly that you may want to have a specific strength training goal in mind?

Well I hope that you see now that lifting is good.. more muscles mean more metabolic rate, and thus you burn more calories.. it can also enhance your cardio goals as well. And keeping your muscles maintained through weight loss is a key element to make sure you do not lose muscle as you want as much of this be as much fat as possible..

Perhaps you will reconsider the lifting part or moreover find it enjoyable enough to want to do it.. It is a personal choice, I wish I had started a lot earlier than the age of 46 and I now 48.

Thanks a lot for your help :) ! Just one question : are bodyweight exercises good ? And btw , I'd give anything to look like you at 48 ! :o
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks a lot for your help :) ! Just one question : are bodyweight exercises good ? And btw , I'd give anything to look like you at 48 ! :o

Oh yeah you bet body weight exercising is good..

btw.. I turned 48 last week..eeeeekkk! LOL thanks for the compliment. :)

edited to add: perhaps look at these websites.

You are your own gym
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerd fitness beginner body weight routine
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

Their point was that there were better lifts and routines. If you are going to spend time strength training, why not use your time more efficiently?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10454834/strength-training
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If you really want to change your body comp significantly and want to do it most efficiently then yea some type of resistance training will be the way to get there. It's definitely not the only way though. I mean if you told me you would like to increase the size of your delts and glutes then ya no cardio is not the way to do that!

What about yoga? Is that something you would enjoy?