How Much Inflammation Weight Do You Carry?

Options
I have been in recomp for a few months and have slowly been gaining weight, most of it muscle. It sort of plays with my mind, gaining 5-7 pounds from my previous weight that I maintained for 1.5 years. However, I am still wearing the same size 4 pants so I don't sweat it too much.

I realized something recently though ... about 2 pounds of that weight gain is inflammation. I recently was sick so I did no weight training for almost two weeks. I just made sure to eat at maintenance and get my steps in. My appetite was the same, it wasn't off. However, I dropped almost two pounds! My muscles got a rest and were not constantly stimulated with my weight routine. However, after a week of being back with my weight training, I regained half of my inflammation weight back.

I am just curious how much inflammation weight other people carry. I am assuming that this is quite normal??

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It's more than likely water retention not inflammation. Unfortunately you didn't gain 5-7 lbs of muscle in a few months. The most a woman can gain a month of muscle in a surplus is 1 lb.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Well, I am to assume that water retention is caused by the inflammation. Because I already have other inflammatory auto-immune issues, I am always inflamed in some way or another. As to a few months, it has been actually close to a year. And even in maintenance, I was working towards more muscle so I am assuming that is what the weight gain is because I am still wearing the same size pants ...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Muscles due retain fluid to help repair so if you stop lifting you lose the water.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    To answer your question of what is normal for other people, when my muscles hurt from a new exercise I can expect a 1.6 lb spike on the scale.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    From hard training (long cycle ride or hard weights session) or over-training I can easily hold 3lbs of water.

Well done on your recomp progress. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    I put on some water weight after long distance bicycle rides or other hard efforts.

It usually lasts about 3 days.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ... my trainer thought I was simply not keeping to my diet but given I log and weigh everything, you have to look elsewhere for the culprit. Having a bad cold and bronchitis forced me to slow down and when I lost 2 pounds within a week while still eating normally, the weight training is the only thing that made sense in terms of inflammation weight. It has only been since this beginning of this year when I truly knuckled down and got a LOT more serious about the weights and coincidentally, that is when I saw the weight slowly creep up but still wear the same clothing.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm finding the same issue as you - AND the inflammation needn't be all that much to trigger a weight gain. Since coming down with tennis elbow, and taking medication for it, I've picked up 3-5 pounds that will not go away.