Take a Peek, Leave advice

Hi all, I stopped meal replacement shakes because I was sick of the taste and price and losing the same 5 pounds over and over so I started eating regular food. I did stay at my 1250 calorie a day limit for my 5'2" 153lb frame, I started a little over 2 weeks ago and weighed myself Saturday and weighed 148lbs. But this morning I weighed 149.9! I did eat over on Saturday but no way enough to gain over 2 pounds!! I do weigh all my food with a digital scale (besides Saturday, didn't even log everything), and log it all. I guess I'd like anyone to look at my diary and give advice? I'm a bit down on the progress I made and having the scale go up

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    I should say I weigh myself naked lol and in the morning before food. I also don't really eat back exercise calories because I'm just not hungry. And for menses I just ended the 6th
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    @LittleChipin Two weeks is not a long time. And weight lost tends to fluctuate a bit for different reasons. Keep up the exercise, continue logging accurately, and watch the progress over time.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    water retention from salty foods, poo and water retention from working out all play in fluctuations. If you want to weigh daily which i do get happy scale app it will show your trend.
  • bquartermainNZ
    bquartermainNZ Posts: 6 Member
    I hate looking at scales because I've either put on weight or stay the same despite eating clean, 1,200 calories per day and exercising 5x per week. If you are going to weigh yourself its best to do it first thing in the morning and without shoes on! Also, you may have gained muscle put dropped fat as muscle does weigh more than fat.. that is my issue.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    I hate looking at scales because I've either put on weight or stay the same despite eating clean, 1,200 calories per day and exercising 5x per week. If you are going to weigh yourself its best to do it first thing in the morning and without shoes on! Also, you may have gained muscle put dropped fat as muscle does weigh more than fat.. that is my issue.

Nobody gains two pounds of muscle in two days, especially not on 1250 calories.

OP, weight loss is not linear. Most likely you went up due to the overeating, especially if it meant you ate more sodium than usual.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Hi all, I stopped meal replacement shakes because I was sick of the taste and price and losing the same 5 pounds over and over so I started eating regular food. I did stay at my 1250 calorie a day limit for my 5'2" 153lb frame, I started a little over 2 weeks ago and weighed myself Saturday and weighed 148lbs. But this morning I weighed 149.9! I did eat over on Saturday but no way enough to gain over 2 pounds!! I do weigh all my food with a digital scale (besides Saturday, didn't even log everything), and log it all. I guess I'd like anyone to look at my diary and give advice? I'm a bit down on the progress I made and having the scale go up

It is completely normal to see the scale spike up when you eat a bit more than normal. It is due to the extra volume in your system, water weight gain from additional salt/carbs. It is not a fat gain - just a normal fluctuation. Wait several more days and you should see the scale return to normal.
  • LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Thank you all for your replies! I think I'll start weighing myself once a week every Sunday morning, I don't want to stress over the scale, it hurts my motivation! I'll keep doing what I'm doing
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Don't worry, like everyone has said, it is a normal fluctuation.

At 5'2, 150 lbs and a calorie intake of 1250 you really should be eating back your exercise calories.
    Even if it is only an estimated 250 cal burn eat back 50-75% of those calories.
    You may feel fine now, but eventually it will affect you in some way, couch potatoing so you have the energy to work out, performing sub par when you do work out, skipping workouts because you are too tired, never mind being grumpy and lacking concentration.

Also what happens if you don't workout for a couple of weeks or decide to change your routine?
    Are you going to drop your calories below the recommended level to compensate?
    Are you going to stall your weight loss?

I too am petite so had a low calorie, 1200, weight loss goal and needed every exercise calorie so I could progress while coping with the extra activity level exercise gave me.

Eat all your base calories plus exercise calories- that is the way MFP is designed to work.

Cheers, h.
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    johunt615 wrote: »
    water retention from salty foods, poo and water retention from working out all play in fluctuations. If you want to weigh daily which i do get happy scale app it will show your trend.

For me Happy Scale has taken the anxiety (and often disappointment) out of a weekly weigh in. Its a great tool to separate normal daily weight fluctuations from actual weight loss progress