Homeostasis Plateaus

Options
RoxieDawn
RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I was not sure where to post this.. so here goes.

I have seen posts in the past couple of weeks that mention Homeostasis on threads where a member mentions that they are in a weight loss plateau. I see members that are possibly bottoming out at this 1200 calories they have setup to lose weight and have been at this intake for some time.. While I know that this can happen to anyone per se, I wanted to understand it better myself.

Definition of homeostasis is the process by which a system regulates itself so that internal conditions remain stable, and the body uses this process to keep the body's functions operating relatively consistently. Your body establishes what the "norm" is and tries to maintain it.

Is it safe to say that when a person decreases the overall caloric intake for an extended period of time, you may be seeing weight loss, but the body is constantly seeking out the "new norm." And once it discerns how to operate in some sort of stable fashion weight loss slows down significantly and eventually stops completely?

To alter or change homeostasis, one must only change energy "out"?

How does one recognize homeostasis (i.e how long static in weight loss goals or gaining weight (i.e. muscle building)?

Is it ALL based on energy "out"?

Is it related to energy "in" as does one need to change types of energy in or altering the macro distribution?

How long or how often should one change energy out?

Will a lighter/leaner person hit this quicker and more often than a heavier person with a lot more to lose?

When assisting users that are complaining of weight loss plateau, should any of this be a part of their discussion as to how to achieve their goals? A lot of folks just advise ""just keep doing what you're doing".

thanks for any replies! :)

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    In my experience, yes.

Homeostasis matters- it's the whole "reverse dieting" foundation. I don't know the ins and outs but I have absolutely seen, again in my own experience, this coming into play as my body normalizes with a reduced calorie plan. Recently, I bumped calories and fat is flying off again where I had plateaued, in weight, for 2-3 months-- and there hasn't been any increase in energy expenditure (workouts still the same intensity and duration).

Smarter minds than I have written/researched about it but you're asking the right questions about efficiency in energy use and expenditure.

I love this man-- he was an amazing sports science teacher and practitioner and has a lot to touch base on in regard to this topic:

http://steveedwardsfitness.com/weight-loss-basics/
  • RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    In my experience, yes.

Homeostasis matters- it's the whole "reverse dieting" foundation. I don't know the ins and outs but I have absolutely seen, again in my own experience, this coming into play as my body normalizes with a reduced calorie plan. Recently, I bumped calories and fat is flying off again where I had plateaued, in weight, for 2-3 months-- and there hasn't been any increase in energy expenditure (workouts still the same intensity and duration).

Smarter minds than I have written/researched about it but you're asking the right questions about efficiency in energy use and expenditure.

I love this man-- he was an amazing sports science teacher and practitioner and has a lot to touch base on in regard to this topic:

Great article.. thanks for linking that.

I was just talking about this moments ago about the "diet break" or "reverse dieting" this clearly explains that. :)

I guess it is safe to say, that having a person increase their cals would be great advice to them, but projecting this as an alternative to most is not so easy to do when people are frustrated, perhaps in some "hurry" to meet goal etc.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »
    In my experience, yes.

Great article.. thanks for linking that.

I was just talking about this moments ago about the "diet break" which I tried to ask in my post and this clearly explains that. :)

You bet. Definitely check out his amazing catalog of posts. Fun, easily accessible stuff on complex nutritional/training topics.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I watched an interview with Lyle McDonald on fat loss yesterday, and he explains a lot of this in detail. Highly recommend watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hROcGjBfwYI
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I watched an interview with Lyle McDonald on fat loss yesterday, and he explains a lot of this in detail. Highly recommend watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hROcGjBfwYI

I enjoy learning from Lyle McDonald.. I watched the one Fat Loss for Women.. Looking for his book to come out.

thanks for posting this.. I am watching now. :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    diet breaks or refeeds have some science behind it at least on leptin levels but I think more is needed.

This study was done with athletes...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943438/

This is one of the reasons I zig zag my calories having one low calorie day and one day at maintenance although my daily average is 1250, although this study was on eating slightly over maintenance and increasing carbs either 3 days in a row. I also do it because I want a variety in my week with a higher cal day for pizza, potatoes and beer (not necessarily in that order:)).

If it prevents a plateau or not for me we will see. I'm in 2 1/2 months and no plateau yet, but I think I read somewhere around 6 months a plateau is somewhat common. Regardless this way of cycling calories is working for me and I'll keep it up for other reasons as well.

Should I hit a plateau I will def reverse diet or eat maintenance for several days if not a week.

ETA - there are some pretty knowledgable folks on here that I'm sure will help with your specific questions though.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    diet breaks or refeeds have some science behind it at least on leptin levels but I think more is needed.

This study was done with athletes...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3943438/

This is one of the reasons I zig zag my calories having one low calorie day and one day at maintenance although my daily average is 1250, although this study was on eating slightly over maintenance and increasing carbs either 3 days in a row. I also do it because I want a variety in my week with a higher cal day for pizza, potatoes and beer (not necessarily in that order:)).

If it prevents a plateau or not for me we will see. I'm in 2 1/2 months and no plateau yet, but I think I read somewhere around 6 months a plateau is somewhat common. Regardless this way of cycling calories is working for me and I'll keep it up for other reasons as well.

Should I hit a plateau I will def reverse diet or eat maintenance for several days if not a week.

ETA - there are some pretty knowledgable folks on here that I'm sure will help with your specific questions though.

Reading up on this one too. Thanks for posting.. :) I do hope more will chime in on this!

The info you all have provide has help clarify a great deal.

LOL I am now more aware than ever regarding cortisol and of course leptin and grehlin and good ole thyroid.

The reverse diet is a good strategy and will also be good advice from all sort of perspectives based on what goes on with the body when dieting and yes dieting is stress. This is a good method to do that.

• realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh! So my vacation at art camp was an anti-plateau move (ate more, but only moderately more, for a week). Well, cool!