Psyllium Husk.....?

Options
I've been using psyllium husk as an added fiber supplement for about three weeks. Has anyone else used this and if so, have they had super stomach cramps??

I really would like extra fiber in my diet, but this is seriously killing me. ACK!

Replies

• tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Used it just the once, I used to work for a company that packaged it for resale in health food stores - never again! Felt like I was passing a bowling ball through my digestive tract :s

You might want to try taking smaller amounts and with a heck of a lot more water than you might think. Psyllium husk is so hydrophilic it's unreal and a little goes a very long way.

That being said I find that plenty of fibrous fruit and veg is a much more enjoyable way to increase fibre intake - though potentially at other people's expense ;)
  • JSaus13
    JSaus13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    tomw86 wrote: »
    Used it just the once, I used to work for a company that packaged it for resale in health food stores - never again! Felt like I was passing a bowling ball through my digestive tract :s

You might want to try taking smaller amounts and with a heck of a lot more water than you might think. Psyllium husk is so hydrophilic it's unreal and a little goes a very long way.

That being said I find that plenty of fibrous fruit and veg is a much more enjoyable way to increase fibre intake - though potentially at other people's expense ;)

I really thought I was doing a good thing by taking it. Then for a few nights (it always hits me when I'm trying to sleep), I'm laying there DYING! UGH! Oh well, it's not like I haven't wasted money before.

I already eat many veggies. Fruits are my problem. I don't really care for sweet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Beans have lots of fiber: edamame, pinto, kidney and so on. Also green peas. It is o.k. not to eat fruit.
    Get enough fats and oils. They help your digestive system move things a long.
  • JSaus13
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Beans have lots of fiber: edamame, pinto, kidney and so on. Also green peas. It is o.k. not to eat fruit.
    Get enough fats and oils. They help your digestive system move things a long.

Thank you for the info. I just tried edamame for the first time a few weeks ago. I really like it! And for the other beans, I like those too. I guess I will have incorporate more beans (and peas) into my future.

LOL! Watch out! ;)
  • saramichelle89
    saramichelle89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Used psyllium husks in pancake recipes and things like that to have some added fiber. Like you I had stomach cramps. I switched to "Sugar Free Fiber Gummies" from Walmart, have been having much better success. It doesnt hurt my stomach at all. Highly recommend!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I get 25 g of fiber from my breakfast. More if I add chia seeds. I eat black beans, corn, tomatoes, and a cup of lentils/split peas. I spice it how I like it. Legumes, fruit and whole grains are going to give you alot of fiber, plus lots of other important antioxidants and nutrients. If you can figure out a way to eat more, that would be better then adding anything extra.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Do you track fiber in our diary? With psyllium husk (or any fiber), it has to be added gradually or cramps will be an issue, Also, make sure you eat enough fats. I make sure to have at least 50g per day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of protein supplements and use psyllium to prevent the runs. Works fine for me.

Just don't use too much at one time (a tsp is all you need) and drink lots of water/fluids when you do. I can do this 2-3 times a day w/o problems.
  • JessicaB523
    JessicaB523 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use it pretty much daily, helps my IBS. But you have to ease into it for sure.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have 20g psyllium husk everyday without any problems. How much are you taking?
  • JSaus13
    Options
    I was taking two capsules (I'm not exactly sure how many grams that was). It was the recommended dose on the bottle. Either way, I stopped taking it and I will find other ways to get more fiber. You guys have given great help, thank you so much!!
  • maceopavia233
    maceopavia233 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try chicory inulin. One brand is Metamucil Fibersure. It is tasteless, odourless, clear mixing fibre that you can add to any food or drink. It is soluble fiber. Wheat dextrin (Benefiber) is a similar product.
  • JSaus13
    Options
    Try chicory inulin. One brand is Metamucil Fibersure. It is tasteless, odourless, clear mixing fibre that you can add to any food or drink. It is soluble fiber. Wheat dextrin (Benefiber) is a similar product.

Thank you!!
  • JSaus13
    Options
    Do you track fiber in our diary? With psyllium husk (or any fiber), it has to be added gradually or cramps will be an issue, Also, make sure you eat enough fats. I make sure to have at least 50g per day.

I do track my diary and it just really seems that my fiber is low.