Roman Chairs, Knee Sleeves and Random Fitness Inquiries...

Options
Crushed heavy leg day yesterday, had a decent ab and back work-out today (wish I could have fit more sets in and gotten some cardio completed...damn Northern Jersey traffic left me with 45-minutes to get my work out in...maybe I'll walk the dogs later) but I am left inquiring about a few things.

After 3+ years of fitness (and a year of heavy lifting), I am consistently increasing weight, trying new exercises and inquiring about new supplements. One thing I've found is that the Roman Chair that everyone goes crazy over for ab work outs just doesn't cut it for me. I never feel the burn in my abs, just my hips, and they click with every lift of my legs. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it? It's always happened, but it's to the point now where I find it useless to push through because it hurts and does nothing for my abdomen region.

Next inquiry is about knee sleeves - yes or no? As I've increased my squat weight, reps and incorporated new variations over the past year I've found that my knees are taking the brunt of the pressure. They crack, and after super hard lifts, even hurt a little. Will the sleeves alleviate this pain and assist with support while lifting? Do they actually prevent injury, or it's more of a fashion statement?

Thanks!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    While knee sleeves/wraps are an option, I'm inclined to think your form and/or your programming needs adjusting. So, can you post videos (rear and side) of your squats? Also, what is your programming?

With regards to the Roman chair, I'm thinking you mean Captain's chair? The one with arm pads, handles, and a back rest? I've tried leg raises on that, but also didn't feel much in my abs, but some in my hip flexors. So I don't use that anymore. I do weighted decline crunches for my extra ab work - still feel it some in my hip flexors, but I can really feel it in my abs. Of course, planks and ab-wheels would be good, too.
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Whilst knee sleeves do advertise multiple benefits - I think a lot of it is psychological. They are becoming more popular but when I'm watching the crossfit games athletes they don't really wear them (unless sponsored) so it makes me question the benefits.

As for Roman chair - depends on the exercise but they are generally designed for glutes and lower back.

To save you a lot of research PurePharma is the future for supplements :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't put any sort of sleeve/brace on my body without consulting a medical professional?

You have to ask what is the root cause of the problem you're trying to fix and will thr sleeve/brace do more harm than good. Questions for a medical professional.

Best of luck.
  • ChubRub93
    ChubRub93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    While knee sleeves/wraps are an option, I'm inclined to think your form and/or your programming needs adjusting. So, can you post videos (rear and side) of your squats? Also, what is your programming?

With regards to the Roman chair, I'm thinking you mean Captain's chair? The one with arm pads, handles, and a back rest? I've tried leg raises on that, but also didn't feel much in my abs, but some in my hip flexors. So I don't use that anymore. I do weighted decline crunches for my extra ab work - still feel it some in my hip flexors, but I can really feel it in my abs. Of course, planks and ab-wheels would be good, too.

I'm super new at this (like, first day at gym was yesterday new) but aren't Roman chairs those terrible zero fun squat things, not a piece of equipment? We had to do about a thousand of them last night, but I could have heard the name wrong?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ChubRub93 wrote: »

I'm super new at this (like, first day at gym was yesterday new) but aren't Roman chairs those terrible zero fun squat things, not a piece of equipment? We had to do about a thousand of them last night, but I could have heard the name wrong?

No. A Roman chair is this typically used for glute-ham raises, although I have seen most people use them for situps. :shrug: There are 45° ones, too, used for back raises.

Roman Chair:
    roman-chair-exercises-for-glutes.jpg

Captain's Chair:
    images.jpg

Not sure what you actually heard, unless the trainer was saying to imagine you're sitting in (and then rising from) a chair.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd ever jump to buy knee sleeves. It's likely a form issue if you never had knee issues otherwise. I'm not super strong right now but I've never felt pain in my knees with 300+ on the bar. I don't think sleeves would hurt, but I think they wouldn't be addressing the real issue with your squats.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think what Troberts is saying is the Roman chair is actually the Glute Ham Raise machine. (GHD or GHR) I do both ab work and lots of glute ham exercises on that particular machine, its a major tool used in power lifting training. A Roman chair is a slightly different machine, and i actually never use it. Also for abs, you dont necessarily have to feel anything for it to be working.

Knee Sleeves, i always wear them for squats and deads only, i take them off when i do accessory work. They do help, the pressure feels good and they keep my knees warm. I have bad knees and they do help a little because of the compression keeping all the joints and bones where they are supposed to be. I doubt they help prevent injury, they dont really provide support or assistance, they provide compression and warmth.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

I've heard it called both! I'm glad I'm not the only one, I'll just stray away from using that in my ab circuit. Planks, ab wheel, exercise ball knee-ups, and weighted double crunch is probably enough anyway. Although I do like the decline crunches every so often. Maybe I will use them more!

As for squats, I have a trainer and follow the program she has given me. It probably has to do with the fact that I use the Smith machine (yes, I know the cons, but I have a reconstructed foot that makes my balance be very off...working on incorporating the barbell more and more) since you referenced form being off. I know that can alter the form. Just more motivation to get on a strict barbell circuit instead.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    ChubRub93 wrote: »

No. A Roman chair is this typically used for glute-ham raises, although I have seen most people use them for situps. :shrug: There are 45° ones, too, used for back raises.

Roman Chair:
    roman-chair-exercises-for-glutes.jpg

Captain's Chair:
    images.jpg

Not sure what you actually heard, unless the trainer was saying to imagine you're sitting in (and then rising from) a chair.

Oh man, I've heard it called both but I was definitely referencing what you're calling the Captain's Chair. Thanks!
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    I don't know that I'd ever jump to buy knee sleeves. It's likely a form issue if you never had knee issues otherwise. I'm not super strong right now but I've never felt pain in my knees with 300+ on the bar. I don't think sleeves would hurt, but I think they wouldn't be addressing the real issue with your squats.

I have a reconstructed foot and the knee pain is on the opposite leg, so I'm wondering if it's due to overcompensating with the "good foot". I'll have to ask at my next orthopedic appointment! Could be making my form be wonky, or just straight up subconsciously overcompensating. I've noticed on the leg press that I use the "good foot" leg more than the other and I make a conscious effort to put more pressure on the other leg. Didn't realize it as much with squats, but could be screwing up my form and I don't realize it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

I have a reconstructed foot and the knee pain is on the opposite leg, so I'm wondering if it's due to overcompensating with the "good foot". I'll have to ask at my next orthopedic appointment! Could be making my form be wonky, or just straight up subconsciously overcompensating. I've noticed on the leg press that I use the "good foot" leg more than the other and I make a conscious effort to put more pressure on the other leg. Didn't realize it as much with squats, but could be screwing up my form and I don't realize it.

ahhhh I'd ask your doctor, I don't know about that. Check form, but you may be on to something with your overcompensation thought.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    GHDs have a foot plate to press your toes against when doing GHRs The photo above is of a GHD. Roman Chairs look similar but do not have the foot plate.

So, you can only do a back raise to parallel on a Roman chair, not a full 90 degree GHR as you can on a GHD. You can do sit ups on both but hyperextension of the spine below parallel is not recommended.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Try hanging leg raises instead of the chair. If you still have hip clicking, try them with your legs crossed Indian style (opens up your hips).
    I started squatting 3x a week about 3 years (@40 years old). My knees have bothered me since youth. I got SBD knee sleeves and love them. Knees have never felt better, granted, I lost 30 pounds too. I figure they are cheap insurance even if it's just mental.