SiriusXM?

Options

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have it on my car and my wife's, it gets us away from Clear Channel I(heart)Media, etc...

I especially like it when I'm in deep rural areas where all they have is "both kinds of music, Country AND Western!"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you sirius right now? Just use pandora or spotify.

What if there's no service? You can travel huge swaths of the southwest US with 0g and maybe one bar on your phone.

You should switch to Verizon...it's the nations most reliable network.

Can you hear me now?

Lol...I am on Verizon for that very reason...other providers have way more dead zones...Sprint won't even work from my office which is just on the outskirts of Albuquerque...but this is still the desert southwest we're talking about...plenty of dead space out there regardless of carrier.

I would never travel anywhere that doesn't have cell phone service...because deliverance.

But this...

new-mexico-1.jpg

is basically my back yard...

with a view like that...you hardly need music to ruin the tranquility and beauty that surrounds you. Be one with nature.

True when we're out in it...driving for hours to go a couple hundred miles though...sometimes you need a little something.

locations_albuquerque.png

No biggie in the city though...

abq_sky_night_800w.jpg

albuquerque-skyline.jpg

Sir, after further review it would appear you are a great candidate for our SiriusXM service. I think you, along with the 80 other people in the southwest, will be completely satisfied with your service.

tumblr_m43fenS4rJ1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Oh...and it's more like 84 people...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 7 years now and really like it. I tend to be one of those drivers that changes the channel a lot so I like the variety.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Options
    I have a free trial and use it primarily to listen to Howard Stern. It used to work at work but i can't seem to get it to work as of late. BRB downloading firefox, maybe that'll fix it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192kbps for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128kbps audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+. (emphasis ours)

Plugging in the numbers, we see how much data Pandora uses. Streaming at 64kbps will consume about 28MB or 0.03GB of data, which means you can expect to hit a 1 gigabyte in just over 36 hours.

May be different, so watch your data.
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I bought it years ago and keep it for the coverage and the sports. I have it in my patrol truck (Im a Game Warden) and my area of responsibility has terrible radio choices or quality so it was and still is a no brainer
  • cee134
    Options
    Spotify can let you store songs and would be around $10 a month. I would never pay for it, but my friend has it. That may or may not be cheaper then using/paying for more data, or paying for satellite radio. You'll have to do the math, but it sounds like satellite is about the same if you get the promo deal.

Personally, if I had to choose between satellite radio or an app that let me store music (both being around $10), I would choose the app, satellite radio is good but not as versatile as Spotify. Disclaimer, I still wouldn't pay for Spotify as I think all pay to play streaming apps are garbage, or at least way over priced. But I've learned to listen to the radio, just like I've learned to drink stale coffee.

I do know that if you share an account on Spotify, if one person changes the song, it changes on all the devices, but I think that is live only. If you're offline and listening to songs, I wouldn't think that matters.

The cheapest thing would be to rip your own music collection and use your phone as an MP3 player.
  • cee134
    Options
    total_e wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192kbps for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128kbps audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+. (emphasis ours)

Plugging in the numbers, we see how much data Pandora uses. Streaming at 64kbps will consume about 28MB or 0.03GB of data, which means you can expect to hit a 1 gigabyte in just over 36 hours.

May be different, so watch your data.

Wow...that'd not much. I DO have Pandora One, but you're saying it's still no more than 64k?

Don't know, that's based off of older info. That could be the case when not on wifi. You would have to watch your data, or check Pandora's info.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    We have it in my wife's Jeep...no idea what the plan is. It's worth it for us as it is very easy to get out of traditional radio range driving in New Mexico. The Jeep is also the road tripper so it comes in handy there as well. We also do a lot of camping in the mountains where traditional radio won't come through...so handy there as well.

We also have a receiver that we can use in the house with the subscription, but we rarely do...
    Are you sirius right now? Just use pandora or spotify.

What if there's no service? You can travel huge swaths of the southwest US with 0g and maybe one bar on your phone.

You should switch to Verizon...it's the nations most reliable network.

Can you hear me now?

Lol...I am on Verizon for that very reason...other providers have way more dead zones...Sprint won't even work from my office which is just on the outskirts of Albuquerque...but this is still the desert southwest we're talking about...plenty of dead space out there regardless of carrier.

I would never travel anywhere that doesn't have cell phone service...because deliverance.

But this...

new-mexico-1.jpg

is basically my back yard...

One of my favorite views!

I agree with everything @cwolfman13 said. Traveling all around NM and doing road trips throughout the western US, my XM has been a lifesaver. I will say, since getting my new car in 2012, my reception in the city has been kind of spotty with power lines and cell towers as well as bridges interfering with the signal. This was never a problem in my previous car, only bridges, so I wonder if it's either a crummy receiver or badly positioned.

As stated by others, using a cell radio app doesn't work in so many areas of the western US where there is no service. I had to switch from Sprint to Verizon to get much better coverage, but there are still large deadzones throughout the state. Plus I don't have to worry about killing my cell battery or having my phone plugged in taking up space in or around the cupholders and getting in the way on 13 hour drives when listening to XM.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I got the one year free trial in 2014 when I bought my car. I tried to listen to it but Pandora or the radio was always a better option. Literally the only time it came in handy was when I visited my cousin in rural NM (apparently she's one of those 84 people that live there) and discovered there was not service at all. I kind of freaked out a little, what if I would have gotten lost?! It ended up being fine, just follow the windy dirt road. (huh, windy (city) and windy (road) are spelled the same). Anyway. That was over two years ago and they're still hounding me to buy it again. No.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    if you hold out you can get it for 6.00 a month for 6 months.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    I think Pandora streaming is free on T-Mobile .
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Spotify is only $15 for 5 people. You can download playlists to save your data. You can listen to any song you want, when you want.

My parents still have Sirius. They're in their 60's.
  • rebel_26
    Options
    lol @ in their 60's
  • rebel_26
    Options
    might be 5 for 5 not sure. I dont personally have it but folks I know do . They let it expire and wait for the call and "negotiate" the monthly cost. They like it for some of the talk radio and of course some of the music stations. I can take it or leave it...was nice when I had a 600 mile drive when I borrowed a car with it though Ill admit that.
  • cee134
    edited September 2016
    Options
    At this point I want to know what you (OP) decide.