Heart Rate and Age

Options
Been doing a HIIT workout for my card and like the way it gets me going. But at 65 the recommended heart rate is low and I have trouble keeping down there. For me I feel better at around 128 for the lower and 138 for the higher rate. Anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    On what are you basing your recommended heart rate? Are you using a formula for calculating your maximum heart rate? What is your target zone for your cardio, and why?

The formulas and recommendations are approximate, and ANY activity is good, it's just that, depending on your goals, you want to try and stay in certain HR zones to better meet those goals.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio on PRECORE 100. I am just using the heart rate monitor on it. Now I know that is just a rough idea and not as good as using your pulse. But that's kinda hard when your going at a fast pace. I know everything is approximate. I just finished my cardio and at one point got my heart rate up to 144 for 30 sec then it dropped down to 128. Which is OK with me I just find it hard to keep it within the recommended limits for someone my age. I was just asking if anyone else found it hard say in the limits as they get older
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    I am just using the heart rate monitor on it. Now I know that is just a rough idea and not as good as using your pulse. But that's kinda hard when your going at a fast pace. I know everything is approximate.

He's not saying the HR monitor is approximate, he's saying the recommendations of what HR you should exercise at is approximate. It's like the saying, "drink 8 glasses of water a day" - it doesn't work for everybody. If you feel better around 130-140, that's what works for you.

By the way, ignore any "fat burning zone" HR recommendations on the machine. For more on that, google "fat burning zone myth". :+1:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Do you have a reason to keep your HR down medically? If not, why are you concerned about it?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Heart rate zone recommendations are approximate because everyone is different. Those formulas don't fit everyone.

Case in point, my sister and I are two years apart (48 and 50), about the same height but she weighs a bit less than me mostly because we're built differently (she's very small framed and I'm large framed and more muscular). We have run many, many races together from distances of 5K up to half marathons. Going side by side at the same exact pace her heart rate is about 30-40 BPM slower than mine. By 3 miles in mine will be in the low 170s and hers is sitting in the 130s or 140s. Seriously. She's a freak of nature. She's worn a heart rate monitor 24/7 a few times because doctors were concerned hers was so low and it turns off while she's sleeping because it goes below the minimum the monitor is set to detect.

Judge your effort based on how you feel while you're exercising. If you really want to know your exact heart rate range I'd suggest getting professionally tested at a gym or a doctor's office.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.....if you're doing HIIT you should be hitting your threshold for very brief periods of time, if you're keeping your heart rate down you're not doing HIIT. HIIT should have you gasping for air.

Having said that.......avoiding HIIT might not be a bad thing, at least at first. I'm not to many years behind you and depending on your current state of fitness / how frequently you've been exercising etc you may be better off building cardiovascular fitness with a mixture of slower steady state cardio and moderate interval training.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I'm 65. I don't do HIIT per se but I can get my HR up to 140-150 during short spurts on my rower but prefer rowing at no more than 125-135 max and, if I'm really taking it easy, I can just cruise at 95-105.
  • grob49
    Options
    I'm confused.....if you're doing HIIT you should be hitting your threshold for very brief periods of time, if you're keeping your heart rate down you're not doing HIIT. HIIT should have you gasping for air.

Having said that.......avoiding HIIT might not be a bad thing, at least at first. I'm not to many years behind you and depending on your current state of fitness / how frequently you've been exercising etc you may be better off building cardiovascular fitness with a mixture of slower steady state cardio and moderate interval training.

No I am hitting my max in fact I am going over it for short periods of time. Getting my rate down to around 120 is the hard part and that's OK with me. I was just curious how other folks felt about it. I read that getting you rate up there can be stressful. I had a stress test a few years ago and the nurse asked me if I workout. When I said yes she said that explained why it took me longer to get my rate up there. The whole idea of these thread was to see how others felt about getting older and having the base line for your heart getting lower. Might say I was sitting the pot to see what happens
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and do Insanity and Asylum right now for HIIT. Those cycle your heart rate. I average about 135 and peak around 165. I can maintain 155 for some amount of time.

I've done T25 and that is 25 minutes pretty much all out. He has small "slow periods" in it. My ave HR is high and my peaks are definitely high.

I ride bikes and on that I do steady state, then sprint, then steady state. Keeps my average around 125 and my peak around 145.

I've had my heart tested, stress tested, etc.. The surgeon told me he'd prefer I stay around 145 and try not to go past that for extended periods.

If you're not comfortable then slow down. The simple formula for heart rate is a reasonable starting point. As mentioned. It is not the only answer or the same for everyone.

I use a HRM all the time. The Fat Burn part is amusing. It is handy though as a good zone to stay in so you don't push too hard.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

No I am hitting my max in fact I am going over it for short periods of time. Getting my rate down to around 120 is the hard part and that's OK with me. I was just curious how other folks felt about it. I read that getting you rate up there can be stressful. I had a stress test a few years ago and the nurse asked me if I workout. When I said yes she said that explained why it took me longer to get my rate up there. The whole idea of these thread was to see how others felt about getting older and having the base line for your heart getting lower. Might say I was sitting the pot to see what happens

So what I'm reading is that you're not recovering particularly quickly?

That may suggest a poor aerobic base, which would mean that true HIIT is contra-indicated.

The point of HIIT is that you're cycling between your peak and a recovery range, and that will become more challenging through the session, as a result of a number of factors. The point is not to keep your HR higher in the recovery phase, as that prevents you putting maximal effort into the working phase.

While I agree with others in thread that 220-age is so approximate as to be reasonably meaningless, if you're treating 144bpm as high then you're not doing HIIT, your doing aerobic range intervals. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

To illustrate the point about 220-age, my theoretical maximum would be 174bpm. My threshold, based on testing, would be 184bpm and my maximum is about 205. When I'm doing sprint intervals I'd expect to be peaking at around 200-205 and recovering to 130-140 in the rest period.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Do you know your actual max? I'm 47 and can hit 185 bpm. That is 12-15 bpm more than any "standard" max equation.

As you get in better shape your heart rate will recover much quicker.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    No I am hitting my max in fact I am going over it for short periods of time.

If you're going over it, it isn't your maximum heart rate.

I'm not saying that to be pedantic; you've just discovered one of the problems with using an HRM for training purposes. You're targeting a range based on a percent of your max, but, you don't really know what your max is. That isn't just a problem for you, everybody faces it. There are different ways to try and find your max HR from using a formula to doing a stress test in your doctor's presence, none are perfect. I wouldn't worry about this, I think it's more that your max HR is off and less that you're going to die of exercise.

My max HR seems to be going down with age, too. I have a report that shows the highest HR I attained in each workout, and the trend is gradually declining as the years go by. I don't know what mine is exactly, but I used to get into the low 190s riding my bike up some of the hills around here, it's definitely less now.

I use my lactate threshold to set up my heart rate zones, because that's a lot less fuzzy.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My max HR seems to be going down with age, too. I have a report that shows the highest HR I attained in each workout, and the trend is gradually declining as the years go by. I don't know what mine is exactly, but I used to get into the low 190s riding my bike up some of the hills around here, it's definitely less now.

That's totally expected. Just like the simple 220-age formula predicts, as you get older your max HR decreases. Nothing you can really do, exercise wise, affects your max HR. It's all down to age and how your body works.
  • grob49
    Options

So what I'm reading is that you're not recovering particularly quickly?

That may suggest a poor aerobic base, which would mean that true HIIT is contra-indicated.

The point of HIIT is that you're cycling between your peak and a recovery range, and that will become more challenging through the session, as a result of a number of factors. The point is not to keep your HR higher in the recovery phase, as that prevents you putting maximal effort into the working phase.

While I agree with others in thread that 220-age is so approximate as to be reasonably meaningless, if you're treating 144bpm as high then you're not doing HIIT, your doing aerobic range intervals. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

To illustrate the point about 220-age, my theoretical maximum would be 174bpm. My threshold, based on testing, would be 184bpm and my maximum is about 205. When I'm doing sprint intervals I'd expect to be peaking at around 200-205 and recovering to 130-140 in the rest period.

You have hit on something here. My HR is recovering. Mabe not at the best rate. What I understand is that the lower HR should be between 60% to 65% which is 96 to 112 for me. The higher is 70% to 90% 128 to 144. Now it can take me almost 1.5 min to come down from 143 to 113.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Been doing a HIIT workout for my card and like the way it gets me going. But at 65 the recommended heart rate is low and I have trouble keeping down there. For me I feel better at around 128 for the lower and 138 for the higher rate. Anyone else feel like this?

What is your goal?

Is it to increase your cardio fitness level?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The longer you do a workout, the more heart rate will be affected by cardiovascular drift. Simply stated, it means that the stroke volume decreases, plasma volume decreases, and body temp increases so that heart rate starts to "drift" up, even with no change in workload. Eventually, heart rate will lower less and less during your recovery intervals. Doesn't mean you are not recovering--at that point, heart rate becomes less reliable as an indicator.