Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help- My Legs Ache

Hello all!

I work at a bank so I sit all day. My weight has ballooned up to 235lbs. I'm a female at 5'9". I have stress and anxiety issues so I'm not sure if it contributes to the issue at hand: My legs ache all day. It's usually when I'm sitting at my desk. It's usually just my thighs. I'm starting up again today with my exercise and calorie counting. I'm sure this issue is due to the poor circulation that comes with obesity but I was curious as if to anyone has had some of the same issues. It's something that will motivate me in my journey.

Thank you!

<3 Kelsey

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    My legs used to ache in my desk chair and I've never been over 200lbs. You can deal with the circulation a little by getting an ergonomic chair (which by law, depending on your state, your company might be required to provide for you). The ergonomic chairs lean you forward (the seat itself) a lot more so you feel a little like you're sliding toward your desk, but that takes pressure off your buttocks and thighs a little so blood can flow more easily. Also consider getting up at least once an hour and stretching, maybe taking a short walk. Ultimately, losing weight is the cure, but these things can treat the symptoms a little in the meantime.
  • kelseymillwood
    kelseymillwood Posts: 16 Member
    My legs used to ache in my desk chair and I've never been over 200lbs. You can deal with the circulation a little by getting an ergonomic chair (which by law, depending on your state, your company might be required to provide for you). The ergonomic chairs lean you forward (the seat itself) a lot more so you feel a little like you're sliding toward your desk, but that takes pressure off your buttocks and thighs a little so blood can flow more easily. Also consider getting up at least once an hour and stretching, maybe taking a short walk. Ultimately, losing weight is the cure, but these things can treat the symptoms a little in the meantime.

Thank you! Unfortunately I'm on a teller line that's raised and I'm doubtful they would get me an ergonomic chair. :neutral:
    I will definitely get up and stretch/walk more. That should probably help!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    My legs used to ache in my desk chair and I've never been over 200lbs. You can deal with the circulation a little by getting an ergonomic chair (which by law, depending on your state, your company might be required to provide for you). The ergonomic chairs lean you forward (the seat itself) a lot more so you feel a little like you're sliding toward your desk, but that takes pressure off your buttocks and thighs a little so blood can flow more easily.

Even better get an adjustable workstation to go with the chair so you can stand part of the day.
  • kelseymillwood
    I probably will start to stand more after I get some better shoes. I have super flat flats, haha.
  • kelseymillwood
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My legs used to ache in my desk chair and I've never been over 200lbs. You can deal with the circulation a little by getting an ergonomic chair (which by law, depending on your state, your company might be required to provide for you). The ergonomic chairs lean you forward (the seat itself) a lot more so you feel a little like you're sliding toward your desk, but that takes pressure off your buttocks and thighs a little so blood can flow more easily.

Even better get an adjustable workstation to go with the chair so you can stand part of the day.

I wish I could.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    I probably will start to stand more after I get some better shoes. I have super flat flats, haha.

If you can get away with wearing walking/running shoes, most running stores will do a free posture and gait test for you to see exactly what you need to be standing exactly right for you. $150 bucks seems like a lot for shoes, but I cannot understate how magical the difference was for me (I overpronate/knock-kneed). I feel like a new person.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited September 2016

If you can get away with wearing walking/running shoes, most running stores will do a free posture and gait test for you to see exactly what you need to be standing exactly right for you. $150 bucks seems like a lot for shoes, but I cannot understate how magical the difference was for me (I overpronate/knock-kneed). I feel like a new person.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. Flats are just not good for work environments, and it sucks that women are often encouraged to wear uncomfortable or improper shoes to look professional. I went and got all black tennis shoes, so they at least still looked professional-ish. But getting fitted for shoes is a wonderful thing, even beyond just work activities.

Another option would be to do desk exercises. Standing leg lifts, core squeezes, or even leg/ankle rotations every hour or so could help with circulation.

Eta: also look into stretching. I get sore legs because my calves are incredibly tight, which then causes a ripple effect. Downward dog yoga pose is a lifesaver.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Another vote for great shoes and standing and moving more. Drink more water and take more bathroom breaks.
  • kelseymillwood
    Thank you all so much for your input! I'm waiting on a college refund right now and hopefully with that I can get some special shoes that will help. :)