2»

Replies

• ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    linlinjay wrote: »
    Hi!!
    I had 510 calories for breakfast, 2 pieces of sourdough bread i think with natural peanut butter that you squeeze from machines in whole foods and i put half table spoon of honey on each. Did I ruin my diet???? I'm so sad I always ruin it with eating wrong. I also had a banana so its 90 calories more!!!!

Will you explain what you mean by "ruin" your diet?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    kimikola22 wrote: »
    I eat around 700 calories for breakfast everyday and lose weight. It is my biggest meal of the day and it is filled with nutrient dense foods. Yours sounds fine but I don't know what daily goal is so if it is 500 calories than yes you ruined it but if it is something like 1200-1500 than you should be fine. Focus on nutrient dense food, not how many calories you are consuming.
    Calories are important but you are only hurting yourself if you are focusing heavily on them because that kind of focus causes stress and stress causes weight gain as well as makes it difficuly (biologically) for your body to lose weight.
    Take a nice relaxing walk and make the appropriate adjustments to your food and be happy =)
    Good luck!

1. Calories are the only thing that is important when it comes to weight loss.
    2. Stress does not cause weight gain, excess calories cause weight gain.

A news article quoted a study done, stating that stress does indeed play a part in weight gain. Sorry, I have no proof or article to quote, as I watched it on the evening news last night.

If your evening news is anything like the evening news in my area, they will frequently reference new studies without adequately delving into the sample size (some studies that sound dramatic are often done on very small groups that make it difficult to draw accurate conclusions) or investigating how they interact with other studies on the subject. They're often working from press releases and there is often an inherent bias into broadcasting studies that are either surprising or contradict established science on the subject (while this isn't always a problem, it can lead to an imbalance in coverage, where a small study that contradicts larger ones is reported as if it is more than it is). While some networks do hire qualified science reporters, many of the people we see on television reporting on science or health news have very low scientific literacy. It's not that they're trying to do a bad job, it's just that they often lack the resources to bring the full picture to their viewers.

I would be cautious about using the evening news as a source for science or health information. If you do, consider making it your starting point and doing more research on the studies yourself.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I am always super hungry for breakfast and eat it every day no matter what! However, I find that if I eat things like toast, PB, oatmeal, etc. no matter how many calories I consume I am just hungry again about an hour later. You didn't ruin anything by eating that many calories for breakfast. Personally for me... I can do scrambled egg-whites with veggies and turkey bacon, eat until my hearts content and only max out at about 220 calories or so. Vs. toast, peanut butter, oatmeal, cereal, etc.. Try eating lower calorie/nutrient dense foods for breakfast :smile:
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    IF you're going to have a bad meal, better breakfast than any other - you have all day to burn the calories. Something else to keep in mind - being hungry is your body's way of telling your calorie deficit is too much and you might be putting yourself into starvation mode. There's a fine line between the two.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not ruined with one meal.
    You have more calories left even if you are on 1200 calories. Nutritionally you got some protein and a fruit. What is bad?
    I choose to eat less calories at breakfast and more at lunch and dinner but there is no rule about how you split up your calories for the day. It would be okay to ewt them all in 1 big meal if you function okay that way.
    You have at least 690 more calories for your day and maybe a lot more depending on your calorie goal and how active you will be today. Just plan a lunch and dinner that fit your remaining calories.