Snacks... always boring snacks...

Hello!

I am pre-diabetic, which means in my case that I have to have snacks in the morning and in the afternoon in order not to have low blood sugar. However, it is hard for me to be inspired when it comes to snacks. I don't like the usual suggestions on the web (apple & PB, celeri and PB, etc.). I would like something exciting, not so boring that I feel sad to have to eat healthy. What are your tips?

Good to know: I am not fan of raw veggies, but cooked it's ok.

thanks!

Replies

• Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Hard boiled eggs + a 100 cal guac pack + hot sauce, greek yogurt, cheese stick, Humus + PB sandwhich (don't knock it till you try it), cottage cheese, beef jerky, nuts... maybe just choose some foods you like but have a small portion of it?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    I eat 5-6 times a day, mostly small meals. My go-to options are plain yogurt with berries, protein bars (1g sugar), rice cake topped with 1T. PB and sunflower/pumpkin seeds, an apple, oats with a scoop of protein powder (I use Iso Pure Zero Carb Vanilla) and 1 T. dry Jell-O pudding mix, steamed edamame with a little salt and pepper, hummus and crackers (or red pepper, carrots, etc.), ham and cheese roll-up, the options are endless! Good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    cottage cheese and avocado - so yum!
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    My favorite snacks are:

- Whole-grain crackers with hummus
    - Hard boiled eggs
    - String cheese
    - Almonds
    - Roasted carrot chips (I buy them pre-made, but I hear they're easy to make yourself. Would be good with Greek yogurt ...)

They're not super-exciting, I know, but they're super-easy, which is a big selling point for me, especially when I'm at work. I have easy access to very unhealthy options at work, but having these in my desk or packed in the fridge for the week *usually* prevents me from giving in to temptation.
  • cmjlavallee
    cmjlavallee Posts: 28 Member
    I love baked chips but they aren't for everyone. My go to these days are the Veggie Straws (not really veggies, but like chips). You can eat 38 for around 130 calories. I'm a salty girl so find these very satisfying!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with protein powder/berries YUM!!
    String cheese
    Quest bars
    Cucumber/carrots/broccoli and homemade ranch dip (greek yogurt/mayo)
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    cottage cheese and avocado - so yum!

forgot about this one! and tomatoes!
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    -cottage cheese, sprinkle of pepper, pineapple
    -plain greek yogurt with PB2 mixed in for a dip paired with bananas or apples
    -small smoothies (start with a base of your milk preference, plain greek yogurt, and at least 1/2 a frozen banana) very customizable from there to add either more fruit, veggies, nut butter, oats, or protein powders
    -chicken, cheese, black bean wrapped in small tortilla
    -protein bars--there's a metric ton of good tasting and quality bars out there now (Quest, Oh Yeah!, Fit Joy are safe bets)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    - 1/2 an avocado
    - boiled egg
    - cheese
    - slices of tomato with a little salt
    - slices of cucumber with a little salt
    - raw veg and humus
    - blueberries with a few dollops of Greek yogurt
    - jerky

IDK...I guess everyone's definition of boring is different...I enjoy these things.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm type two diabetic my favorite's are popcorn, sugar free jello or pudding.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'm not big on snacks either, and agree that most are boring. Cottage cheese and avocado (or either) is delicious (great suggestion, IMO!), nuts are good, tomato with a little salt and olive oil or maybe some cheese and basil might be exceptions. But I'd probably mostly just make the size meals I'd have without the snacks and then save part for snacks later if you have a way to do that.
  • newereveryday
    newereveryday Posts: 222 Member
    Roasted garbanzo beans. Rinse and then dry roast for 20-30 minutes at 425°, take out and toss in just enough olive oil to lightly coat, add whatever seasoning/spices that you like (taco seasoning, salt/pepper/garlic powder, cumin, dry ranch seasoning, etc), and then back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes.

Sunflower seeds in the shells are great, too, if you're not terribly worried about sodium. They take time to eat and don't wind up being a lot of calories so they're perfect if you know that you're "hungry" at least in part out of boredom.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    friend gave me some rx bars
  • marie_eve_78
    marie_eve_78 Posts: 72 Member
    thanks all for the ideas! keep them coming :) and neweveryday, I will definitely try the garbanzo beans! :)
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Definitely some nutritious recommendations in here-- good stuff. That said... why not enjoy some kettle chips (crisps?), Yogurt, Chips and Salsa... snack as you like and in line with pre-diabetic "a-ok foods", keep it in your MFP calorie profile and all is well.
  • jober1234
    jober1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Avacado/guac is a great way to get some healthy fats in your diet. I know lenny and larry's cookies are REALLY good, but I'm not so sure about their sugar content (might have to look into that) but they taste awesome! I also REALLLLY love Ostrim jerky sticks. The habenero flavor is my favorite!
  • hillaryjess
    hillaryjess Posts: 39 Member
    jober1234 wrote: »
    I know lenny and larry's cookies are REALLY good, but I'm not so sure about their sugar content (might have to look into that) but they taste awesome!

Those cookies really taste amazing, though I tend to cut the ginormous ones in halves to keep from getting out of control and it becomes a meal replacement.

Macros for 1 serving (which is 1/2 cookie;56.5g) of the Lenny and Larry's snickerdoodle : C=27, F=4, P=8 [Fiber=4, sugar=15]
    Comparatively a serving of a basic Pillsbury snickerdoodle mix (serving size 2 cookies; 28g): C=24, F=1, P=1 [Fiber=0, Sugar 14g]

So basically what I get from this is a Lenny and Larry's snickerdoodle will be nearly twice as dense and be considerably more filling with the extra protein and fiber for nearly the same amount of carbs & sugar as "the real thing." The trade here is a bit more fat in your power cookie serving. I still recommend based on the one snickerdoodle I've had so far!