Breastfeeding mum not losing weight

Options
Hi guys,

I breastfeed a 1 year old. I have been trying to lose weight for the last two months but failing. In fact last 3 weeks I seem to be steadily gaining a little weight.

I have put my calories to maintenance on mfp and don't count breastfeeding calories or the exercise. I try to do the 30 day shred 3 times a week but it's usually 2 x a week.

I look after 2 children mostly on my own so am always busy.

Previously when I have lost weight, I had around 1800 calories and exercised 3x a week to something like 30 DS and didn't eat the exercise calories. I lost about a 1lb a week this way.

But right now, I can't seem to find what works for me. On maintenance my calories are 1950 but I am ALWAYS over by 200-250. Last week I made sure I was in the 1950 but I was always starving and felt my milk supply was effected by the third day so I went back to eating more.

Any ideas on what I can try? I'm a bit lost....

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    How much is your 1-year-old eating? You may not be burning as many calories breastfeeding as you would for a younger baby, if he's taking in most of his calories from solids, now.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    How much is your 1-year-old eating? You may not be burning as many calories breastfeeding as you would for a younger baby, if he's taking in most of his calories from solids, now.

I breastfeed her 3x a day but I have no idea how many calories that is. She does seem to drink less now though.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The entire birth cycle puts tremendous demands on your body so a lot of what your experiencing is normal. When it comes to body composition change the first 2 things I look at are your Nutrition Program (meaning what your eating specifically, the quantity, the ratios of macro nutrients) and your Strength and Conditioning Program. A lot of other factors come into play as well, we can go into those after.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are still eating as you were when she was getting more calories from you. I think the hunger is probably just coming because you are used to the extra food. To give an idea, I am also nursing 13 mo old twins, run for 30 min. 3 times a week, and I usually eat between 1600-1800 calories a day and my supply seems to be ok (and my 2 nurse often, twice during the night each and 4 -5 times during the day ). I would cut back on the calories, eating more high volume low cal options like veggies to help with the hunger. I am more hungry when my carbs creep up a little too high, and find protein and especially fat help me feel more full.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    At this point, the breastfeeding is probably not the issue. Are you weighing you food?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm also nursing my 13 month old. I stopped factoring in calories burned from breastfeeding once she was well established on solids (around 9-10 months). Set you MFP to lose 1 lb per week. Eat that much, and maybe half of your exercise calories. At this point breastfeeding isn't using a significant enough amount of calories to help you. If you are hungry on appx 2000 calories per day, it may be time to look at what you are eating - are you getting enough protein, fat, and fiber? When you do reduce calories, are you keeping your fluid intake up? Not getting enough water can impact milk supply.
  • DeannaPaige1
    DeannaPaige1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my 6 month old. I eat 1800 calories a day ( most days under my goal ) she just started solids 2x a day bUT nursing a bunch still, especially night time. I exercise 5 days a week. I've changed my diet as well. Lots of chicken and veggies, I treat myself once a week to one meal that I normally don't eat ( usually pizza lol ) since your baby is eating more solids, your not buring as many calories as you were while making the milk. Once my girl starts eating more, I'll probably be dropping down to 1600- 1650 calories.