Eating one meal a day is healthy way to lose fat?

Options

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Timing of meals is just as important as macros and calories for losing fat.

Eating 1 meal a day might work for some people but it definitely is not optimal.

I have recently started eating a small meal every 2 hours or so (keeping my food choices, macros and calories the same) and have started losing fat much more quickly than before.

I have to disagree. Timing of meals has almost negligible importance compared to calories.

That is true in sedentary individuals.

Consider: Eating modulates insulin/leptin/ghrelin secretion and, subsequently, resistance. So does exercise (along with other anabolic and/or catabolic chemical pathways. Most notably glycolysis, protein coupling/uncoupling, satellite cell activation and the M-Tor pathway). So, eating in such a way that the two can have a synergistic effect can increase fat loss and increase muscle mass gain greater than if they those modulating effects conflict with one another.

OP mentioned exercise in her post so I gave an appropriate answer for someone who is exercising.

With respect to the hunger hormones, if you are able to stick to your calorie goals, in effect, they don't matter. The hunger hormones affect adherence, which is no small thing, but given that the OPs CI is less than CO, she'll lose weight.

That is patently false. These hormones, particularly insulin, are anabolic hormones. Insulin is even more anabolic than most anabolic/androgenic steroids! And thus plays a huge role in nutrient partitioning. Also, selective upregulation of membrane insulin receptors can largely determine if nutrients are used for repairing muscle tissue or if they are stored as fat.

Are you suggesting that she will lose more LBM than fat by eating one meal a day?

In theory, yes.

In the real world, that is highly dependent on the level of muscular adaptation one already has. When I began losing fat, I was a 360lb powerlifter with an elite total, so losing lbm was a big concern. If someone doesn't have a high level of hypertrophy this is less of a concern unless they intend on building a significant amount of muscle.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    So much taken out of context in this discussion. There is an IF protocol that is basically one large meal per day. I believe it's the warrior diet. As long as you are getting adequate calories in that meal, it is perfectly fine, if it suits you. I follow the 16:8 IF protocol and eat 2x per day, because it's simple and effective. I eat this whether I need to lose, gain or maintain. Different eating patterns work for different people and IF has gained a lot of popularity because it works for a lot of people. Although people follow it and are just fine, the old thinking of eating 5-6 or more small meals a day has long since been tossed into the bro-science files.

While I certainly agree there are IF methods that are very successful for people who enjoy eating within a certain window, they require planning in order to get adequate calories and nutrition in that amount of time. OP doesn't sound as though she's referring to a methodical, well thought out approach to eating, rather, something she heard about from someone who heard about it on Pinterest and a way to get to eat steak and cheesecake and still lose weight.

IF can be healthy, satiating and sustainable if done correctly.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    dumping a large meal in your system is a bad idea. your telling your body, well heres your allowed food for the day.... body will say oh ok dont know when ill get more so im going to store this.
    I would encourage your to eat smaller meals 5 times a day, this way your keeping your body fueled all day and its constantly processing.
    But thats just my pov.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Three questions:
    1. What is your one meal?
    2. When are you eating it?
    3. How big is it?
    Generally speaking, you're better off eating smaller meals throughout the day vs. one large one. Sooner or later you're going to put your body into starvation mode where it's going to hang onto every calorie from the last meal, not knowing when it'll be replenished next. That's easy to do when you only eat once a day.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    JdMcCoy82 wrote: »
    dumping a large meal in your system is a bad idea. your telling your body, well heres your allowed food for the day.... body will say oh ok dont know when ill get more so im going to store this.
    I would encourage your to eat smaller meals 5 times a day, this way your keeping your body fueled all day and its constantly processing.
    But thats just my pov.

This is rooted in the starvation mode myth. It is not true.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    Three questions:
    1. What is your one meal?
    2. When are you eating it?
    3. How big is it?
    Generally speaking, you're better off eating smaller meals throughout the day vs. one large one. Sooner or later you're going to put your body into starvation mode where it's going to hang onto every calorie from the last meal, not knowing when it'll be replenished next. That's easy to do when you only eat once a day.

NOPE.

Starvation mode is not a thing.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I agree with the others here, this doesn't sound sustainable, which is more important than you might think.

As to the argument that meal timing is more important than calories, I would use that same phrase "patently false". Let's take it to an obvious extreme. If I eat at a 7000 calorie a week deficit, eating meals only once a day, I can expect to lose fairly close to the expected 2lbs a week. If I eat at a 3500 calorie deficit, no matter how frequently I eat my meals, I am not going to lose 2lbs a week.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So you are going to go through an entire day of activity and wait until the end to put fuel in the tank? You might lose weight, but what a miserable way to do it.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985/
    Increased meal frequency does not promote greater weight loss in subjects who were prescribed an 8-week equi-energetic energy-restricted diet.

This is a 2010 study that compares 3 meals a day with 3 meals and 3 snacks, with the conclusion that it made no significant difference. It doesn't address one meal a day, but I have to run and don't have time to review other studies for applicability.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not un healthy as long as you're getting adequate nutrition. It can be unpleasant for some because of hunger, but if you can tolerate it, then I think it's fine. It's just another way to create a calorie deficit
  • FranSilverPT
    FranSilverPT Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Eating 1 meal a day might work for some people but it definitely is not optimal.

I have recently started eating a small meal every 2 hours or so (keeping my food choices, macros and calories the same) and have started losing fat much more quickly than before.

I have to disagree. Timing of meals has almost negligible importance compared to calories.

Consider: Eating modulates insulin/leptin/ghrelin secretion and, subsequently, resistance. So does exercise (along with other anabolic and/or catabolic chemical pathways. Most notably glycolysis, protein coupling/uncoupling, satellite cell activation and the M-Tor pathway). So, eating in such a way that the two can have a synergistic effect can increase fat loss and increase muscle mass gain greater than if they those modulating effects conflict with one another.

OP mentioned exercise in her post so I gave an appropriate answer for someone who is exercising.

I've read your other comments on this matter but quoted this one as I'm unsure if any of what you have described has scientific literature to back it up...if it does, I'd be interested to read.

I do kind of agree with the sentiment of what you are saying though...

if someone has an appreciable amount of muscle mass, eating more frequently will have potential benefits, just not necessarily for the reasons you cite. I would have thought that any benefit seen is borne from:

a) repeatedly reaching the leucine threshold, which has been shown to peak and then recede within a 3 hour window
    b) allow for a greater workout effort as you are well fed either side of training bouts

I'd suggest that anything revolving around insulin/grehlin/leptin wouldn't be backed up with scientific literature beyond looking at really extreme states.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I only eat 2 meals a day most days...that's the only time I'm hungry...IF is quite sustainable if it fits your lifestyle, and the human body is incredibly adaptable...as long as you are getting sufficient nutrition there is no real downside and many people have improvement with inflammation and autoimmune issues...
  • Lofteren
    Options
    To the OP, I agree with the others here, this doesn't sound sustainable, which is more important than you might think.

As to the argument that meal timing is more important than calories, I would use that same phrase "patently false". Let's take it to an obvious extreme. If I eat at a 7000 calorie a week deficit, eating meals only once a day, I can expect to lose fairly close to the expected 2lbs a week. If I eat at a 3500 calorie deficit, no matter how frequently I eat my meals, I am not going to lose 2lbs a week.

No one argued that meal timing was more important than caloric intake
  • goldthistime
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You're right, you didn't argue that it was more important, you argued that it was just as important. "Timing of meals is just as important as macros and calories for losing fat." I apologize for the misrepresentation. I still disagree though.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    But thats just my pov.

This is rooted in the starvation mode myth. It is not true.

Starvation mode isn't real but it is basically an attempt to explain metabolic thermal regulation which is real. Again, this phenomenon is closely correlated with the intensity, type, frequency and duration of exercise as well as the proximity of that exercise with the consumption of food (particularly carbohydrates).

All science aside, it is easy to appreciate that the people with the largest amounts of muscle mass and the lowest amounts of fat are bodybuilders. Most bodybuilders (and pretty much all of the pro bodybuilders) eat several small meals a day. It may be soaked with "broscience" but it undeniably works. Even scientific researchers will recognize that methods derived from anecdotal evidence are often times ahead of the scientific curve. Basically, as much as we think we know, there are mounds and mounds of things we do not know. So follow what works regardless of what you see on paper because in the end, results are the only things that really matter.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    But thats just my pov.

Your body can't just decide to "store it" if you're in a caloric deficit though. Laws of physics and all that. It will use what you give it, and take the rest of what it needs from reserves.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal a day (lunch) and it works great for me
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    So you are going to go through an entire day of activity and wait until the end to put fuel in the tank? You might lose weight, but what a miserable way to do it.

That's really an individual thing. I do this accidentally most days and get along just fine.. I know others who can't go a few hours without food before they start getting fussy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

As "important" probably not. More optimal, I'd somewhat agree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

With respect to the hunger hormones, if you are able to stick to your calorie goals, in effect, they don't matter. The hunger hormones affect adherence, which is no small thing, but given that the OPs CI is less than CO, she'll lose weight.

That is patently false. These hormones, particularly insulin, are anabolic hormones. Insulin is even more anabolic than most anabolic/androgenic steroids! And thus plays a huge role in nutrient partitioning. Also, selective upregulation of membrane insulin receptors can largely determine if nutrients are used for repairing muscle tissue or if they are stored as fat.
    Well let's be honest here. Yes insulin is more anabolic, but it's not because you're gaining more muscle from it. Insulin will increase how much fat you gain, which is anabolic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png