Improving my running

2»

Replies

• trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    For the last 12 weeks I have been following Runner's World's "Run Less, Run Faster" program. I liked it - only three runs per week and they were each very different from each other. It isn't easy, but it shouldn't be if you want to get better.

This is a good program, and you have so many great options from the folks here. You got this!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2016
    I honestly have no real desire to get up to 10k or half marathon distances, but I'd like to be able to consistently run a 5k distance. As of now, I go a couple times a week and go for 30 or so minutes (which usually translates to around 2 miles.) I go 45 minutes from time to time, but find I am either letting my head get in the way or I feel like I'm running out of gas - either way, the run isn't pleasant and I feel like most of it is a struggle.

I've noticed I am getting a little faster, so that's cool, but this week was frustrating when I set out to do 3.5 miles and called it done at 2.7, I let my head get in the way, then I convinced myself that I couldn't do it and felt defeated

What I'm reading is a number of different issues here, partly your existing capacity, partly structure and partly phsychological.

Firstly it looks like you may be going too fast for your existing fitness level. That would lead to you running out of gas, and generally struggling, leading to not enjoying the run. I know that personally I don't much enjoy short runs as it takes me a mile or two to loosen up and relax.

It also sounds as if you might be letting a history of not completing, or not enjoying, build up in your head.

I'd suggest that easing your pace will lead to a little more enjoyment.

As far as getting faster is concerned, you have two aspects here, the frequency of your sessions, and the distance. At the simplest level, if you're only running twice a week you're unlikely to be getting any adaptation. Your fitness isn't really improving as you're not stressing your system. You've done C25K and that was three times per week. I'd suggest running at least three times per week, ideally four, to improve.

I'd also say that while people are keen to recommend complex periodisation and intervals, but at your stage you'll get far more from running more. I wuold recommend the 10K plan, as a method of doing that. What I found was that training for 10K took me from a 30 minute 5k to a 24 minute very quickly, with nothing complicated in there. Training to HM improved it again but my priorities right now are marathons and beyond, so I don't worry too much about short distances at the moment.

I don't know if it matters, but I live in a very hilly area and at an elevation of 6000'. I'm wondering if the elevation might be a factor as well.

Hills make a difference, they're more taxing on your CV system, but they help your technique and leg strength. Enjoy the benefits.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Riding a bike helps. But it sounds like running up to 10k regularly will help a lot, too. Having more in the tank when you finish will allow you run a 5k faster. By the way, I agree, a 5k is a nice distance, 10k is longer than I want to run too.
  • @MeanderingMammal I know my head as more to do with this than anything. This whole thing has been a head game and it still gets in my way more than it should. When I first started C25K outside, I would get so self conscious (big girl running and all) I'd have mild anxiety attacks - which I am not prone to at all. So I moved inside to a treadmill and worked up to week 5, then went outside. I would have to go at the crack of dawn in a local park that is pretty deserted in order to not get too overwhelmed. It took me another month or two to be able to run in my own neighborhood. If my head gets too focused on the actual run or what is going on around me, then it goes south quickly :(

Some days I hit the right mental mix and am ok, but it doesn't take much to get me off track.

*sigh* baby steps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    That's all understandable.

Sometimes I feel similar. In the last mile of a long, or after a hard session I'll look a mess and it does cross my mind, what people think. Then I remember they don't know what's got to that moment. They don't know whether I'm on day one of C25K and hanging out after eight one minute intervals, or I've just done 20 miles in preparation for a marathon.

Essentially, runners don't care much which it is, and non runners don't matter.

Fwiw on day one of C25K three years ago I was hangingout. And three weeks ago I felt the same after 62km.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Just throwing in my 2 cents...I live in Canada. Winters are brutal, I hate being cold, so I only run in the summer. I do a race at the end of every season. Last year when I hung up my running shoes after the race for the winter, I decided to try something new. I started lifting weights. I still did cardio 3x week, but I introduced lifting. Brand new to it! This past running season, when I put my shoes on, I was already running faster and longer than when I hung my shoes up last season. I believe it's because I increased the strength in my legs. I beat my time in the race this year by 9 minutes. The race I do is a duathlon. 2.5km run, then a 20km bike ride, followed by another 5km run. I think 9 minutes is huge, and on top of that, I didn't run as much as I did last year in preparation for the race...

All that to say, maybe adding some weight lifting into your schedule might help build stronger leg muscles which will in turn increase your speed and duration...
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    @MeanderingMammal I know my head as more to do with this than anything. This whole thing has been a head game and it still gets in my way more than it should. When I first started C25K outside, I would get so self conscious (big girl running and all) I'd have mild anxiety attacks - which I am not prone to at all. So I moved inside to a treadmill and worked up to week 5, then went outside. I would have to go at the crack of dawn in a local park that is pretty deserted in order to not get too overwhelmed. It took me another month or two to be able to run in my own neighborhood. If my head gets too focused on the actual run or what is going on around me, then it goes south quickly :(

Some days I hit the right mental mix and am ok, but it doesn't take much to get me off track.

*sigh* baby steps.

A major part of running is the mental game. If you haven't done so already, try to think of a positive mantra you can repeat to yourself when the going gets tough. You can google "running mantras" if you need some ideas. Think of the Little Engine that Could saying, "I think I can, I think I can..." as he was going up the hill. I know I use them...especially in races when I'm really pushing myself and start questioning my sanity and why do I keep signing up for these things?!? Lol!

Another thing I do is create playlists where certain songs that are motivational to me come on when I know I'm going to be tired and want to quit. For example, when I hear "Eye of the Tiger," I simply cannot stop running...I've gotta be like Rocky and keep going strong!!

When you are able to overcome those mental battles you play with yourself, it actually becomes a motivator to keep on going. It's like a mini win that you kept going when you almost talked yourself into stopping early.

Also, if you increase your overall running distance, the 5K will become easier for you. I would set 1 day out of the week to gradually increase your run... whether it's the amount of time you run or the distance you run. I personally like to run by distance, but some people prefer time. Do whatever works for you. If you start at 3 miles, set a goal to increase to 3.25 miles the following week, then 3.5, then 3.75, etc... As you get to higher mileage, you can increase in bigger chunks, but start out small. Your other running days can be shorter distances or just to 30 minutes...whatever you have time for.

Have fun with it!! :smiley:

• thanks @spingirl605 and @BeeerRunner great advice from you all. :)