Gaining on belly

I've been underweight most my life, unintentional.
When my weight increase by 1/2kg it's always on my belly. I once heard that eventually it spreads to the rest of the body. Is this true? I do t want to gain if I'm going to look 9 months pregnant with skinny arms and legs. Does anyone have experience of this?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    1)You can't choose where fat gain occurs.
    2)If you lift weights and eat in a caloric surplus you will probably gain muscle on other body part.
    3) Initial weight gain is normally water and glycogen and not fat
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    You are currently 'skinny fat' which is skinny and not muscular, hence having a 'belly'. If you choose to gain weight, it will be spread evenly on your body, with a focus depending on genetics.

If you lift while eating at a surplus (i.e. gaining weight), most nutrition will go to building muscle, and some will go to fat (just part of the process, don't shy away from it). i.e. TDEE + 500 calories is a bulk where you gain 1lb per week. Any more than that will create too much fat. Some people prefer slow bulk which is TDEE+250 calories, where you gain muscle and fat at a slower rate.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    You are currently 'skinny fat' which is skinny and not muscular, hence having a 'belly'. If you choose to gain weight, it will be spread evenly on your body, with a focus depending on genetics.

If you lift while eating at a surplus (i.e. gaining weight), most nutrition will go to building muscle, and some will go to fat (just part of the process, don't shy away from it). i.e. TDEE + 500 calories is a bulk where you gain 1lb per week. Any more than that will create too much fat. Some people prefer slow bulk which is TDEE+250 calories, where you gain muscle and fat at a slower rate.

OP is a woman, so a more reasonable rate of gain is .25 to .5 pound per week (TDEE + 125 to 250 calories). For us, 1 pound per week is going to be mostly fat, no matter how much lifting we do.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    1)You can't choose where fat gain occurs.
    2)If you lift weights and eat in a caloric surplus you will probably gain muscle on other body part.
    3) Initial weight gain is normally water and glycogen and not fat

this
  • solskin78
    solskin78 Posts: 8 Member
    @AliceDark is that true for women, all weight gain will be fat? Regardless of weight lifting? How sad!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    AliceDark wrote: »
    solskin78 wrote: »
    @AliceDark is that true for women, all weight gain will be fat? Regardless of weight lifting? How sad!

No, that's not what I said. Before I clarify, here are two things to remember:

1. Everyone has the potential to gain only a certain amount of muscle per week; nobody is putting on pounds of muscle per week unless other substances are involved
    2. Under the best circumstances, we're going to gain 50/50 muscle to fat, no matter what we do (unless, again, we're taking illegal substances)

(These are broad generalizations only, and everyone varies).

Women are able to gain a smaller amount of muscle per week than men. So, for example, let's say a man has the potential to gain 0.5 pounds of muscle per week under the best circumstances. That man can choose to gain a total of 1 pound a week or 4 pounds a month, but he's still only going to gain that 0.5 pound of muscle and the rest will be fat.

For women, it's a good generalization to say that we can gain 0.25 pounds of muscle per week. So, under the best circumstances, you set your goal to gain 0.5 pounds per week and it's 50/50 muscle to fat. More than that, and you're going to gain more fat per week than you need to.

True. And to add, mileage my vary based on genetics, training/nutrition, how new to lift they are and how well they respond to training stimuli.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    Good stuff Alice . Well said and detailed. Psulemon follow on good info to consider as well.