Anyone learn to lift free weights with just the internet?

Options
I keep reading things on this site that make me want to start using the free weights instead of the machines. I have gone to my gym on two different days/shifts and asked the people who work there if anyone wouldn't mind showing me some basics and both times none of the workers would/most said they didn't know how to.

It's the student gym on campus, and the workers are students and alot of them just applied to work on campus and were placed in the gym; they clean all the stuff but don't have interest in it. The girls just push me towards the machines because they "have pictures of what to do," or the cardio stuff.

The trainer is 96$ for 4 hours and I don't have that kind of money, is there any way I can just learn from reading and videos? I already have knee pain sometimes and don't want to mess myself up with bad form. I have lots of friends who work out but none of them would go near the free weights.

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yeah. And video yourself a LOT to make sure your form is good.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I learned everything I know from reading online, watching youtube vids, and my awesome lifter friends I have on MFP.

Just video yourself to check your form.

You can get critique here if you'd like:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911984-form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I learned mostly from New Rules of Lifting for Women and friends on here along with suggested YouTube videos.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I learned, before the internet existed, from some excellent books. I like Rachel McLish's books, but there are plenty of excellent books out there. Why don't you go to your library and look at the books and the DVDs available, so you can match your learning style to the available media and favorite trainers?
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I learned from books, online material, You Tube videos, and asking other members of MFP to critique my form. I'm not afraid to ask my friends for advice and to clarify anything that may come up during my training. It's also great help to be part of a lifting group and read as much as you can about the subject.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I learned everything I do from the forums, websites and videos. There is a TON of information out there!