Sugar

Options
I am fairly new to MFP and am trying to mostly just lose inches. I wouldn't mind losing about 8 more lbs, but realize this may not happen in the home stretch of my weight loss.

I have gone from 160 to 141. I'm very happy with my results recently and am mostly doing well with the exercise part of my diet/workout.

However, that being said. My body TOTALLY craves sugar. That is my one downfall.
I eat a small-ish breakfast and have a small snack usually before lunch, but it tends to be a mini candy bar. I need to stop this as I can feel my body afterwards feeling slow and uninterested in doing anything for the next hour.

Any ideas of how to kick the sugar? What to replace it with?

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    FOR ME the only thing that consistenly works is to wean off all sweets except dark chocolate and/or fruit ...... anything else causes cravings.

Good luck to you :drinker:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Might be that your body craves something you need.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. The first few days will be hell and then you will start to feel something really strange to you...it's the lack of yearning for sugar XD. I, too, get addicted to sugar periodically when I don't watch it and have to quit sometimes.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    The more you eat, the more you crave. I used to crave soda every day. I would so look forward to my soda, but finally I gave it up. I drink only water now, and what a difference it has made. Now things that are sweet, are too sweet! I don't necessarily like soda any more. Just make a mini goal of going without for a day. After you get success make it 3 days. After success make it a week, then two weeks. Pretty soon you will totally over it, and sugar will no longer control you. If you are craving something sweet, have a piece of fruit, or yogurt. At least there are nutrients in there you need. Maybe even a protein bar as they are more like candy bars. But the main thing is learning to not let your cravings control you! Good luck!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Sugar.

Why eat a small breakfast, then a candy bar? If you don't want the candy bar, sounds easy enough, eat a bigger breakfast and skip the snack. Personally I have a Snickers bar every night at work. I work a fairly physical job, and the sugar and fat in the candy bar really gives me the energy to keep active (it's what candy bars were originally invented for.)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Sugar.

Why eat a small breakfast, then a candy bar? If you don't want the candy bar, sounds easy enough, eat a bigger breakfast and skip the snack. Personally I have a Snickers bar every night at work. I work a fairly physical job, and the sugar and fat in the candy bar really gives me the energy to keep active (it's what candy bars were originally invented for.)

Mmmmm... Sugar sugar...
  • tigersword
    Options
    Awwww honey honey...
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    You can do it! If you want to lose inches cut out the sugar and any processed foods you are eating - they are the main cause of our belly fat.

When I cut the sugar, I did it cold turkey. I had headaches for a few days but not too bad. I ate fruit anytime a sugar craving hit me - dates when I just absolutely had to have "candy". As time passed it was easier and easier to live without it.

Also once you quit sugar and processed foods, your taste buds wake up and everything tastes so much better to you.

Good luck!
  • tigersword
    Options
    You can do it! If you want to lose inches cut out the sugar and any processed foods you are eating - they are the main cause of our belly fat.

When I cut the sugar, I did it cold turkey. I had headaches for a few days but not too bad. I ate fruit anytime a sugar craving hit me - dates when I just absolutely had to have "candy". As time passed it was easier and easier to live without it.

Also once you quit sugar and processed foods, your taste buds wake up and everything tastes so much better to you.

Good luck!
    Completely false. Just saying. Excess calories and stress (elevated cortisol) are the main causes of belly fat, not sugar or "processed foods."
  • bekkahlokey
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yesterday I did not have any candy, today I did. I'm taking it slow and seeing if I can just minimize the times I do have it :)
  • cnr0905
    cnr0905 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    HA!! thats worse then givin up booze or snuff or ciggs. and ive done all. good luck, cold turkey is prob the best