Tips for success

Options
Hello everyone! Not really been using my app at the moment, I am going away in a few days and already in holiday mode! Will be getting back on track a week on Sunday after I have got home and managed to do a good food shop. I have decided to follow 5:2 and after a hit of research (and thanks to people who helped yesterday) I will be eating 2300 calories on non fast days which is my BMR - sounds like loads (but then I checked the calories in my favorite chocolate - no wonder I have so much to lose! Anyway, I just wondered what your tips are for success are. So far I have thought of the following -

- Plan meals
- Prepare vegetables on a Sunday and bag up so I don't have to count calories etc and weigh everything on the day
- Weigh once a month (I get far too hung up on scales and I feel so much happier when I don't weigh)
- Start Turbofire which I have wanted to do for ages!

What are your best tips for success? Thanks x

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    -Not cut out foods that I like, including chocolate, ice cream and chips. I'm happier this way and am losing weight.
    -Weigh all my food before I eat.
    -Log everything on mfp.
    -Pre-logging my meals the night before.
    -Be consistent.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Weigh all foods! Log Everything.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Baby steps. Don't try to change your entire life overnight. Make small changes, practice them until they become a habit and then make new changes.

Be sure to log everything you eat. Every single thing.

For greater accuracy with calorie counts, weigh solid foods using a kitchen scale and measure liquids that can't be weighed. Foods like peanut butter and salad dressing show a serving size in grams and should be weighed, not measured.

Don't "play" with the numbers, underestimate calories eaten or overestimate calories burned in exercise. You'd only be cheating yourself.

Take "Before" pictures so you have something to judge your progress against.

The measuring tape is a better tool than the bathroom scale. Measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking.

Keep in mind that weight loss is not linear and you will lose pounds faster at the beginning than at the end. There may be periods of time where you don't lose at all or even gain a little. As long as the overall trend is downward, you're doing the right things.

Get yourself into the mindset that you're making a permanent lifestyle change. If you "finish" and go back to your current lifestyle you'll eventually find yourself back at your current weight.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Fist bump for jumping in the game!

- Consistency, consistency, consistency.
    _ Long View: This isn't a short-term game. Embrace the Roller Coaster with an eye on destination down the road.
    - Eat what you want but think nutrition overall.
    - Aspirational Indoctrination: Surround yourself with people who are like-minded and read up on material that supports your goals.
    - Do the workout you love.