Paleo diet

Options
Has anyone tried this with much success? seems like with all low carb diets, it would be hard to sustain. especially, since I love bread.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to eat at a sustained calorie deficit. You have the best chance of success if you eat in a way you can easily stick to.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to eat at a sustained calorie deficit. You have the best chance of success if you eat in a way you can easily stick to.

This^

Eating one way to lose weight & then trying to figure out how to keep that weight off didn't work for me. No more elimination diets for me. Not giving up bread forever.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Paleo diet is what I'll be doing when I'm in maintenance (following Keto right now). Basically I'll be adding fruit and a little starchy carbs like sweet potatoes back into my diet slowly. I have a few cook books for it, it's definitely sustainable. If you want bread options there are companies that make low carb bread and low carb tortillas, or you can get creative and make your own. I don't know if I'm allowed to link products in the main forum so just google low carb bread or paleo bread. Oopsie rolls are a good place to start for homemade bread options, it's just egg, cream cheese and baking powder IIRC.
  • optiman38
    optiman38 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I may be able to help, now i'm like you love bread in fact i had it with every thing even pizza in bread, bread in bread, so now still have bread but with out gluten, but you can also have tortillas with chicken and salad yummy and Paleo is good diet but just have a bit of what you fancy sometimes to keep you on track. hope this helps abit. for your craving for bread.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    9 years primal (i have some dairy) eating 80/20%. I still track calories though.

It helps my ibs and ive really lost my taste for things like bread, pizza, pasta, rice. I prefer veg- unless i have pms - then i like more carbs.

I love it. Its not for everyone but it wasn't a massive change for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's not necessarily low carb. Fruit, veg, tubers.

Because I don't care about most bread or rice, I decided to try it (I was curious whether it would make a difference in how I felt and also wanted an incentive not to waste calories on foods I find not worth the calories). I didn't mind the diet and found it easy enough (I wasn't eating lots of legumes at the time, so the hardest bit was cutting out dairy and not having choices if I wanted to buy lunch). There are some good paleo blogs with recipes, which was fun to check out (and I still do sometimes).

However, I found that I did not feel particularly different, that I could lose just as easily just watching calories, and -- most important -- I could not justify to myself why I was cutting out all grains, legumes, and dairy, or even all added sugar. In particular, I think my diet is much healthier when I do eat legumes (in place of more reliance on animal sources of protein, and also an excellent source of fiber), and I have been adding them to my diet in greater quantities as I focus more on nutrition. I also see no harm in dairy (another great source of protein that agrees with me, specifically plain yogurt and cottage cheese, plus I do love good cheeses and ice cream), and think whole grains also can be quite healthful. Plus, the same reasons why I thought paleo would be easy for me (don't care much about grains) means I don't have to worry about overeating grains.

Thus, I decided to take what I like about paleo (most of which I was doing anyway) and ditch the diet itself and it's pointless (IMO) restrictions, like no legumes. The things I like include concern about where I source meat, eating the whole animal (or at least more than people often do), not wasting calories on grains that I am not enthusiastic about (if I prefer my food not in a sandwich, why have a sandwich), stuff like that, as well as of course eating lots of vegetables, which I did already. Rather than worry about whether cavemen might have eaten honey, so that's okay, as is almond flour, but sugar and flour bad, I simply focus on nutrition and having a good overall diet.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet isn't specifically a low carb or weight loss diet, however, some people do lose weight because they are eating food that keeps them satisfied for longer and/or eating a less than they use to.

Primal blueprint (which is a variation of paleo) author recommends calorie counting as well as certain macros for those who want to lose weight. From memory carb recommendation for weight loss was 50gm to 100gms.

If you go low or lower carb do remember to increase the good fat intake.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    optiman38 wrote: »
    I may be able to help, now i'm like you love bread in fact i had it with every thing even pizza in bread, bread in bread, so now still have bread but with out gluten, but you can also have tortillas with chicken and salad yummy and Paleo is good diet but just have a bit of what you fancy sometimes to keep you on track. hope this helps abit. for your craving for bread.

I'll admit I don't follow Paleo/Primal so you'll have to tell me how bread is Paleo compliant just because it doesn't have gluten. I don't understand that based on the idea that it's supposed to be an ancient, pre-agricultural diet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Bobbr2 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this with much success? seems like with all low carb diets, it would be hard to sustain. especially, since I love bread.

If it seems hard to sustain in theory, it's likely going to be hard to sustain in reality. It's also expensive to follow accurately and holds no magic. You still have to be in a calorie deficit to lose fat.
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I eat a mostly paleo diet, and there is research out there that supports certain body types eating higher fat and protein and less carbs. I know for me, the fewer carbs I eat, the better I feel and I shed fat easier that way. each body type is different, I also don't buy the argument that its more expensive, all you need to do is look at buying more whole foods and less of the pre-packaged stuff.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I eat a mostly paleo diet, and there is research out there that supports certain body types eating higher fat and protein and less carbs. I know for me, the fewer carbs I eat, the better I feel and I shed fat easier that way. each body type is different, I also don't buy the argument that its more expensive, all you need to do is look at buying more whole foods and less of the pre-packaged stuff.

No, there is no such thing, that's pseudo-science.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can eat Paleo and still attain whatever your weight goals are. It may be hard at first, but with meal planning and prepping it gets easier over time. Start with really simple meals (don't go straight for the Paleo Bread, they're time consuming and complicated). Invest in a slow cooker or pressure cooker if you don't have one already.

It also doesn't have to be expensive since you'll cut out other eating habits (packaged food, fast food, pop, eating at movies theaters, expensive coffee drinks, eating out in general). You don't have to buy everything organic either. There are plenty of articles that guide you on how to save money on the Paleo or Primal diets, and you will become a whiz at finding good deals.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    You can eat Paleo and still attain whatever your weight goals are. It may be hard at first, but with meal planning and prepping it gets easier over time. Start with really simple meals (don't go straight for the Paleo Bread, they're time consuming and complicated). Invest in a slow cooker or pressure cooker if you don't have one already.

It also doesn't have to be expensive since you'll cut out other eating habits (packaged food, fast food, pop, eating at movies theaters, expensive coffee drinks, eating out in general). You don't have to buy everything organic either. There are plenty of articles that guide you on how to save money on the Paleo or Primal diets, and you will become a whiz at finding good deals.

I haven't heard about it necessarily being expensive, although I guess it can be if it's all organic, grass fed, and free range items, but I have heard one of the biggest issues is that it takes a lot of time and effort to prepare the meals if you want to follow it to the letter.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

It's a poorly named elimination diet and it isn't a low carb diet. But bread is eliminated. So are lots of other things. Yes, it's hard to do, as are all elimination diets. But some people find it easier to eliminate bread, pizza, ice cream, snickers bars, pork fried rice, etc. rather than trying to eat these yummy things in moderation. Also, the mere word "paleo" gets a lot of people riled up. They start talking about cavemen, wooly mammoths, their archaeological digs in college and expounding on their pre-historic Ph.d. studies. They say calling the diet "paleo" is silly. They're right, but there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Elimination diets work well for some as do eat-all-the-foodz-but-just-count-the-caloreez diets do for others.

Google Loren Cordain and watch his Youtube videos for the straight poop on paleo. He's the old school, original paleo guy.

I believe he was the first to call it Paleo but I believe guys like Mark Sisson were around prior with the Primal diet. It's also my understanding that Dr Cordain never intended it to be a low carb only diet but the Mark Sisson and the Primals where the low carb advocates. Is this your understanding as well?

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

I haven't heard about it necessarily being expensive, although I guess it can be if it's all organic, grass fed, and free range items, but I have heard one of the biggest issues is that it takes a lot of time and effort to prepare the meals if you want to follow it to the letter.

When some people post recipes on their blog, and it's like "4 pasture raised eggs, 2lbs grass fed beef, 1 cup organic blah blah blah), I just roll my eyes and make it my way. I also am a bargain hunter, and found grassfed beef for 2.97 a pound the other day. Preparing meals is overwhelming to start with, but it gets easier. Unless if I am roasting something or it's in the slow cooker, I can make several meals for most of the week in about an hour and a half.
    newmeadow wrote: »

It's a poorly named elimination diet and it isn't a low carb diet. But bread is eliminated. So are lots of other things. Yes, it's hard to do, as are all elimination diets. But some people find it easier to eliminate bread, pizza, ice cream, snickers bars, pork fried rice, etc. rather than trying to eat these yummy things in moderation. Also, the mere word "paleo" gets a lot of people riled up. They start talking about cavemen, wooly mammoths, their archaeological digs in college and expounding on their pre-historic Ph.d. studies. They say calling the diet "paleo" is silly. They're right, but there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Elimination diets work well for some as do eat-all-the-foodz-but-just-count-the-caloreez diets do for others.

Google Loren Cordain and watch his Youtube videos for the straight poop on paleo. He's the old school, original paleo guy.

I believe he was the first to call it Paleo but I believe guys like Mark Sisson were around prior with the Primal diet. It's also my understanding that Dr Cordain never intended it to be a low carb only diet but the Mark Sisson and the Primals where the low carb advocates. Is this your understanding as well?

I don't know where the wooly mammoths or archaeological babble is coming from, but I never read anything like that. Some people do better following guidelines from a specific diet than doing things in moderation (there's nothing wrong with the latter either). And Loren Cordain has not budged much since his original idea, so I would take his information with a grain of salt. I believe Mark Sisson advocates for low carb to eat more foods higher in fats and protein (a.k.a. foods that don't spike your insulin levels). You don't have to be low carb though unless if you lose weight AND it makes you feel better.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Ate paleo for a while after my first round of weight loss a number of years ago. It's not expensive. It's basically meat and vegetables, fat, some fruit and nuts. After Dr Cordain, Rob Wolf has really picked up the paleo baton. Worth listening to his podcasts, surf his site or read his book. I like Mark Sisson but when he started selling his own meal replacement he lost some credibility.