Foods to Prevent Brain Fog?

Options
Looking for some advice here.

I'm in week 3 of a new healthy diet. I've been doing well so far, but this week the brain fog has really started to kick in and I feel like I'm getting pretty close to useless at work. I'm not overly restricting calories (between 1300-1500 per day) but I am working out daily including about 60 minutes of cardio + strength training.

Does anyone have any tips for how/what to eat that will help alleviate this? I'm basically surviving on caffeine to get me through the day, but I don't think this is the best plan.

Thanks~

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Are you accounting for exercise activity somewhere in your calorie targets?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like wolfman says, eat more on those exercise days...1200-1500 is not really a lot of food - especially if you are going out to work every day.

Did you give up or cut way back on carbs at the same time? That will lead to brain fog, as will cutting out alcohol.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My tips: You probably need to increase your calories a bit more with the amount of exercise you're doing, 200-300 per day. It won't ruin anything or hold you back. Make sure your macros are close to MFP recommendation. Protein holds you over & carbs give energy. Also play with the timing of your meals & snacks. Perhaps eating earlier in the day, and making sure you get pre and post workout snacks. Carb & protein of each for a snack and meal. As for specific food, my pick me up go tos are banana or apple for carbs and a cheese stick or PB for protein.
    Keep up the good work!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat enough, for sure. You're probably not. Beans are a great addition to a diet: they fill you up, have protein, carbs, and fiber, and are yummy.
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So, I've read differing opinions on whether I should be eating back exercise calories. I decided not to, as with exercise I am burning about 2400 calories a day, and eating about 1000 less than that.
    Did you give up or cut way back on carbs at the same time? That will lead to brain fog, as will cutting out alcohol.

I essentially gave up on what people would consider 'bad' carbs like sweets and white bread and pasta, but replaced them with lots of fruit and vegetables. My total intake of carbs is not that low, but maybe the lack of sugar is getting to me?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    If you are going lower carb it might just be your electrolytes being low. Eat some pickles or have some pickle juice or some chicken broth with extra salt.

With lower levels of carbs you need more salt.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

So, I've read differing opinions on whether I should be eating back exercise calories. I decided not to, as with exercise I am burning about 2400 calories a day, and eating about 1000 less than that.

I essentially gave up on what people would consider 'bad' carbs like sweets and white bread and pasta, but replaced them with lots of fruit and vegetables. My total intake of carbs is not that low, but maybe the lack of sugar is getting to me?

You are most definitely under eating. Why? The one who eats the most and still loses weight wins.

Bump up to at least 1700-1800. You'll feel much better and your exercise will be more beneficial.

I had the same issues when I was under eating. Listen to your body (and brain fog.) It shouldn't be that way, and if it is - you're doing it wrong.
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    With lower levels of carbs you need more salt.

This is something I did not know. I have had issues with low blood pressure in the past, so I should definitely take that into consideration. Thanks!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    In addition to having a reasonable goal/deficit, are you eating throughout the day or just subsisting on coffee until dinner? You could try to spread your calories (& macros, yay protein!) out more during the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Their really aren't differing opinions on eating back exercise calories...it's more so that people don't understand what method they use. If your 2400 maintenance calories include exercise activity then you are using the TDEE method...essentially exercise and everything else is included in your targets. With MFP, you don't include exercise in your activity...MFP takes from what your maintenance would be if you did zero exercise...so to account for it you log exercise after the fact and get calories to eat back. Again, not really opinion...just that people don't understand the methodology.

At any rate, you still have a pretty aggressive calorie deficit and being fatigued and brain fog is basically the nature of the beast you have chosen. I don't know how much you have to lose, so I can't really comment on the appropriateness of your calorie deficit...but 1000 calories per day is generally for those that are obese +...it's a huge deficit.

Beyond that, fruit and veg are great sources of micro nutrients, but not so much where energy is concerned. If those are all of the carbs you're eating, I'm going to wager that you're pretty low carb...again, brain fog, etc is the nature of that beast. Personally I'd recommend incorporating some good complex carbohydrates that provide long, sustained energy throughout the day...things like oats, legumes, lentils, potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc...nutritious whole food carbohydrates.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What is your height and weight, and age? I think you are under-eating by a few hundred calories, maybe 300-400, based on your exercise schedule. You can also play with your macro intake percentages, as well as tracking and increasing fiber, which helps steady blood sugar as well as making you feel more satisfied.