Blood Sugar Drops after Interval Training?

Options
KellyBurgess2
KellyBurgess2 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I use PINK Method to maintain a healthy lifestyle of exercise and a whole foods nutrition plan. After every 90-day cycle through the workouts, there is a week of really intense exercise that includes interval training, strength training, and heavy cardio. Workouts are up to 80 minutes/day for seven consecutive days. After one such workout, I had my post-workout protein shake and then went to Sam's Club to do some shopping. I walked around and enjoyed a few free samples while I waited for my turn at a free health screening. I even had a sample of orange juice and some ice cream with cookie. I would have expected a spike in blood sugar after all that, but when they tested my blood sugar, it was like 57! Both diabetes and hypoglycemia run in my family. So I felt a bit concerned knowing that a blood sugar in the fifties is considered pretty low! So I did a little research and found out that intense exercise, particularly interval training, has a tendency to cause dips in blood sugar. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a tendency to get low blood sugar if I skip meals, and I can get the shakes from that, so I'm always careful to eat regularly and snack between meals. I just wondered if low blood sugar after intense exercise is "normal" or if I should mention it to my doctor when I have my next checkup. Thoughts?