How to loose arm fat????

2»

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce. Continue eating in a deficit and the weight will come off from all over.

I disagree with this. I've been working out now for about 3 months doing strength training concentrating on certain areas like arms and waist and have definitely slimmed down in those areas and see some shape and definition in them.

Just to add it's not all due to just weight loss either as some weeks I didn't lose any but clothes fit better.

You will see muscle definition with strength training as muscles get larger and the fat covering them is reduced due to an overall decrease in body fat percentage. Working your arms by picking up heavy things and putting them back down doesn't make fat leave that area; fat doesn't somehow get magically turned into muscle. It just doesn't work that way.

She isn't picking up heavy things though lol

LOL they're heavy to me thank you very much!! I can see from your profile you've probably been lifting for years so obviously not heavy to you and as I said I've just begun.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    You can't spot reduce. Continue eating in a deficit and the weight will come off from all over.

I disagree with this. I've been working out now for about 3 months doing strength training concentrating on certain areas like arms and waist and have definitely slimmed down in those areas and see some shape and definition in them.

Just to add it's not all due to just weight loss either as some weeks I didn't lose any but clothes fit better.

You will see muscle definition with strength training as muscles get larger and the fat covering them is reduced due to an overall decrease in body fat percentage. Working your arms by picking up heavy things and putting them back down doesn't make fat leave that area; fat doesn't somehow get magically turned into muscle. It just doesn't work that way.

The poster I was quoting says she is and disagrees that you can't spot reduce. That's who I was addressing.

1 and 2 kg
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited September 2016

LOL they're heavy to me thank you very much!! I can see from your profile you've probably been lifting for years so obviously not heavy to you and as I said I've just begun.

Your purse is heavier than that though same with your groceries. You are totally underestimating your strength! I bet you could move much heavier weights than that
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

The poster I was quoting says she is and disagrees that you can't spot reduce. That's who I was addressing.

1 and 2 kg

Ah! Yeah, not heavy at all, even if they feel heavy to you. Higher weights, less reps if you really want results.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    My arms were always HUGE. Sometimes I can't believe how much slimmer they are now.

I've eaten at deficit and lifted weights. I've lifted heavy for me. People who lift really heavy would laugh at what's heavy for me, but that's okay. I have a lot of baggy skin on my arms and would love to have it removed, but that's another story.

The key to losing the fat, though, is eating at deficit. The lifting defined the underlying musculature.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

You lost fat from dietinf that's why you can see them :)
    ^This. A calorie deficit causes fat loss....
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member

1 and 2 kg

Ah! Yeah, not heavy at all, even if they feel heavy to you. Higher weights, less reps if you really want results.

Your purse is heavier than that though same with your groceries. You are totally underestimating your strength! I bet you could move much heavier weights than that

I'm not doing weight lifting, I'm doing arm routines from YouTube and I don't want to end up looking like a weight lifter, I'm just toning up.

As far as I'm concerned what I'm doing works, regardless.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited September 2016

1 and 2 kg

I'm not doing weight lifting, I'm doing arm routines from YouTube and I don't want to end up looking like a weight lifter, I'm just toning up.

you wont look like a weight lifter. women dont get bulky,well unless they have help with illegal substances and testosterone supplements and so on.arm routines wont get you far,also toning is not really a thing, you have to build the muscle underneath and lose the fat over top that is what people call "toned". not to mention it takes years of heavy lifting to look like a lot of those women who bodybuild or do competitions and its a lot harder than you thing to get to that point.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016

1 and 2 kg

Impossible. I lift heavy weights 2 or 3 times per week and I look nothing like what I'm assuming you think a weight lifter looks like. I have a little definition in my arms and that's it. Women simply don't have the hormones to build a lot of muscle.

"Toning up" isn't a thing. What most people consider "toning" is actually losing enough fat to show the muscle underneath. You do that with your calorie deficit. Slinging around 2 kg weights is a waste of your time and energy as far as that goes. It's a calorie burn, yes, but that's it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    When arm fat is on the loose, you need a loose arm fat catcher!

Did someone already poke fun at the spelling? Am I about to be flagged?

Happy Friday!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited September 2016

Actually, it is due to weight loss. You could just be doing a re-composition instead of a straight loss. That means you're eating at a slight deficit overall, or not enough of a deficit to inhibit muscle growth while still losing overall fat. There is no way to spot reduce fat loss, the science doesn't lie. Your body determines where the fat will come from. You just might be one of the lucky ladies whose body decides to cut off from areas that are normally problem locations for women. The end result is that you don't see a large drop in overall weight but your body reshapes and looks different overall.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member

And you would be wrong. You lost total body fat. I did abb exercise 3x a week during my last cut yet my stomach was the last place the fat came off of. You didn't lose weight some weeks because weightloss isn't linear. As long as you were in a deficit you were still burning body fat. Also, you would not notice clothes fitting better in week 2 compared to week one. That's just not enough time for any real results. This is coming from Knowledgable people who've been doing this for years. No one cares what "your" opinion is. When it comes to scientifically proven facts, it doesn't matter what your opinion is.