I've heard maintaining is harder

Options
than actually losing. Why is this? It seems once the calories amount is dialed in for maintenance that it would be equal to losing. Does one tend to loosen the calorie restriction a bit?

I have about 7 months to go before I begin maintenance but I think about it often and I'm trying to focus on how to learn from this so that I can maintain for life.

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I think about it often and I'm trying to focus on how to learn from this so that I can maintain for life.

Super, right on. Yeah, kommodevaran said good stuff.

It's very common to mess up maintenance (ie: all the diet screwups/yoyo stuff you can read about here all day long). Harder though? Nah, just different.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    For me personally, the beauty of this in not excluding any foods, just adjusting the amount. Saying no to something consistently creates feeling of deprivation, and soon enough I'm ready to say, screw it, i want that. And having been not allowing it for myself for a period od time, it makes it too difficult to control. So maybe it works for some, but I'd rather do portion control than exclusion. Other than that, agreed with kommodevaran.

Oh, I think we agree there too :p Some people choose to cut out certain foods during weightloss, because it can be easier to just say no. It's probably easier short term for a lot of people. But it can be easier long term, to - already in the weight loss phase - to learn to eat in moderation everything that you plan to continue eating when you reach goal weight. This is what I mean with "good habits" and "eating what you like".
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Kenda2427 wrote: »
    I have never mastered maintaining. I gain and I struggle to lose and then it creeps back on and I start all over. Every time I say this is the last time but it never has been. But I keep up the fight.

I think you have to find a way that is not a fight and a struggle, if you want to succeed. You are fighting your own body.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's been 25 months and I personally have had no problem with maintenance, I re-learnt what to eat during the weight loss phase and that seems to have bode well for me. Many people 'diet' in a particular way, get down to goal weight then automatically go back to how they used to eat and wonder why the hell the weight is going back on..... It's not harder, it's different, just ensure you prepare yourself with the tools now and you'll be fine. :)

Best of luck!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    I'm finding maintenance somewhat harder than the loss... The up down swing of the scale drives me batty, but not weighing is worse.

I'm trying to learn to judge my weight by my clothes, but fat has been a lifelong battle for me. I want this to be the final time I lose mega pounds.

For me it boils down to mostly a matter of moving my body more. If I'm really active, I can eat pretty much what I want. Over the year plus that I've been mindful of what I put in my mouth, I've learned better eating habits. I have days where I eat more of the high calorie items I used to love. They aren't as wonderful as I remember and I find myself wanting low fat Greek yogurt and hard boiled eggs when I don't eat them for a few days. I believe that's a sign I've got my food monster under control. >:)

Agree!
  • static808
    static808 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    maintenance is a different challenge for me because of a few reasons. for one, i was used to seeing the numbers on the scale steadily decline. as i approached my goal weight, the decline was definitely slower in rate, until i eventually hit my goal weight (157lbs) and the numbers stopped going down at all. this was a psychological hurdle for me to overcome, having been so accustomed to tangibly seeing my progress every morning. i'm not gonna lie, for the first few weeks of not seeing my weight go down, i felt like a bit of a failure, despite the fact i knew that i was on maintenance and no longer on a deficit.

another reason is something that others have brought up, and it's that it can be tricky trying to balance re-integrating higher amounts of food. i didn't deprive myself of foods during my cut, but i was definitely much more rigid about how much or how little i was going to eat. now that i'm at maintenance, the knowledge that I can eat a bit more can sometimes give me a false sense of freedom. i'm not gonna lie, i'm still as religious about logging in stuff as i used to be, but have been "eyeballing" portions more now in comparison to when i was on a cut.

finally, i've tried to integrate muscle building into my program. without being able to constantly assess my body composition, i'm having a hard time delineating between muscle gains and weight gains. currently the scale says i'm about 3 pounds heavier than at my leanest, so I feel my maintenance has been a decent success. since the chest and arms of my shirts feel tighter, here's to hoping that those added 3lbs are mostly muscle mass!!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining and recompositioning, so it's been a journey so far. I still have to log, still have to weigh food any myself once a week. I think the biggest challenge is the mindfrak of eating more calories than you're used to--I was worried I'd wake-up one morning back to my old weight because I added 200/cal more a day. I did get used to it, though.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your experiences I think it's helpful to understand what struggle if any I may face next year.