I feel like a drug addict

Options

Replies

• lily083087
    lily083087 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you have issues with moderation sure but lots of people include the occasional high calorie food in their diet and have no issues losing weight.

I do have issues with moderation
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    lily083087 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    I saw a documentary once that said people can be addicted to food and therefore it is much harder to diet as you have to eat. The line they said was 'imagine an alcoholic had to drink one drink a day' - it would be very difficult for them to stick at one.
    Anyways, I know it is tough but try and surround yourself with food with lower calories so you can eat as much as you want. Focus on staying below your calorie allowance for the moment and don't worry too much about what you are eating and then you can build it up as you go. I don't know if you work out, but obviously exercise will open up your daily allowance meaning you don't have to be as strict with yourself..best of luck mate

Yes! This is exactly what I mean, that documentary sounds like it would hit close to home with me. What triggered this post was coming home from work last night to my roommate eating a delicious looking pizza meanwhile there is a piece of grilled chicken with veggies sitting in the fridge for me. The chicken immediately became very unappealing to me. It's not about evil food vs good food but I obviously have to start making better choices with food if I want to see a change. Temptation is everywhere! As hard as it was, I chose the chicken. (although I did snatch a pepperoni off the pizza and a small edge lol)
    It boils down to what do I want more? A nice figure or a yummy snack. "A minute on the lips, forever on the hips"
    I really don't think my "food addiction" is extreme, it's more of an analogy to express the struggle with adjusting to a new lifestyle and making the right choices. I need to be stronger than my cravings! It's more mental for some people I guess.
    Anyway, thanks for your feedback!! Today is a new day!

It sounds like more of a willpower and self discipline issue than an addiction, thank goodness!! If it were addiction, you would have tossed the chicken and eaten half the pizza..healthy choices be damned. You are stronger than your cravings, you've already shown that. Now you just need to stay consistent to see results. Me thinks you've got it figured out, don't make it harder on yourself than you need to! xo

Nope. With addiction behavior all the chicken and all the pizza would have been eaten. Surreptitiously of course, after the roommate had gone to bed and wouldn't have immediately discovered it. And the eating everything in sight would have gone on into the wee morning hours. And maybe then there'd be a little run to the convenience store at 4 a.m. in an attempt to replace what was eaten because it belonged to someone else. If there was enough money left on the debit card to do that.

Sounds much like "binging"...been there!

I don't use that word anymore at MFP. Most people who are concerned that they "binged" ate 2,000 calories at a sitting and they also aren't overweight. (That's not directed at you Tracy, I just mean generally) That's what a lot of MFPers call a binge and they think they need a social worker and a prescription to treat their self diagnosed BED.
    Though you can binge and not be overweight. As I said I was anorexic binge/ purge subtype (yes anorexics can binge) and went through inpatient, day hospital and out patient withany underweight and normal weight bulimics and anorexics who binge.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I do agree that binge is overused. I have seen it used by someone describing a 400 calorie snack.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I do agree that binge is overused. I have seen it used by someone describing a 400 calorie snack.

Yup, so have I..usually followed by a statement about how they've "ruined everything".
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I felt like this when I started housewifing and in turn started counting calories. Its hard at first but you get used to it and start settling into routines - for me anyway
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I saw a documentary once that said people can be addicted to food and therefore it is much harder to diet as you have to eat. The line they said was 'imagine an alcoholic had to drink one drink a day' - it would be very difficult for them to stick at one.
    Anyways, I know it is tough but try and surround yourself with food with lower calories so you can eat as much as you want. Focus on staying below your calorie allowance for the moment and don't worry too much about what you are eating and then you can build it up as you go. I don't know if you work out, but obviously exercise will open up your daily allowance meaning you don't have to be as strict with yourself..best of luck mate

Yes! This is exactly what I mean, that documentary sounds like it would hit close to home with me. What triggered this post was coming home from work last night to my roommate eating a delicious looking pizza meanwhile there is a piece of grilled chicken with veggies sitting in the fridge for me. The chicken immediately became very unappealing to me. It's not about evil food vs good food but I obviously have to start making better choices with food if I want to see a change. Temptation is everywhere! As hard as it was, I chose the chicken. (although I did snatch a pepperoni off the pizza and a small edge lol)
    It boils down to what do I want more? A nice figure or a yummy snack. "A minute on the lips, forever on the hips"
    I really don't think my "food addiction" is extreme, it's more of an analogy to express the struggle with adjusting to a new lifestyle and making the right choices. I need to be stronger than my cravings! It's more mental for some people I guess.

It sounds like more of a willpower and self discipline issue than an addiction, thank goodness!! If it were addiction, you would have tossed the chicken and eaten half the pizza..healthy choices be damned. You are stronger than your cravings, you've already shown that. Now you just need to stay consistent to see results. Me thinks you've got it figured out, don't make it harder on yourself than you need to! xo

Nope. With addiction behavior all the chicken and all the pizza would have been eaten. Surreptitiously of course, after the roommate had gone to bed and wouldn't have immediately discovered it. And the eating everything in sight would have gone on into the wee morning hours. And maybe then there'd be a little run to the convenience store at 4 a.m. in an attempt to replace what was eaten because it belonged to someone else. If there was enough money left on the debit card to do that.

I don't use that word anymore at MFP. Most people who are concerned that they "binged" ate 2,000 calories at a sitting and they also aren't overweight. (That's not directed at you Tracy, I just mean generally) That's what a lot of MFPers call a binge and they think they need a social worker and a prescription to treat their self diagnosed BED.
    Though you can binge and not be overweight. As I said I was anorexic binge/ purge subtype (yes anorexics can binge) and went through inpatient, day hospital and out patient withany underweight and normal weight bulimics and anorexics who binge.

I hear you. And I wish the self professed bingers were as honest as you when posting about what they call binging. Then they post photos of themselves posing proudly all slim and trim. Either they 1) aren't posting updated pics of their fatness, or 2) are just eating too much food sometimes and dramatizing it as "bingeing" or 3) they're bulimic and not saying so.

I think #2 is the most common scenario with #3 being the second most common.

I do agree with that. I doubt a bulimic would admit the binging without admitting the getting rid of it.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I can defiantly relate. I feel like I am addicted to sugar. In the past I have hid food from my husband - like the entire box of fundraiser cookie dough I ate in 3 days. There have been times I have cried cause I couldn't find chocolate and I ate 2000 calories trying to satisfy the craving.

A book in which I feel changed my outlook on food and exercise is 'It Starts With Food.' I feel balanced and at peace currently because of what the book taught me. I highly recommend it.

No matter what, keep going. Because even if you learn to be fat and happy, your health will sacrifice and later down the road your quality of life will decrease.

I feel like that too about food with sugar. I feel like an addict when I shop at the grocery store. I try to stay out of the aisles with cereal, sugary protein bars, cookies, yogurt, etc. I've actually picked up Greek yogurts, read the labels for the sugar, wondering if I could have just one, and put them back (my doctor told me to lower my blood sugar). I stopped buying Greek yogurt to eat in moderation because I would just eat all of them in 1 or 2 days. Years ago, I quit smoking and this feels exactly the same.
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I soo feel the same way :(
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options

I hear you. And I wish the self professed bingers were as honest as you when posting about what they call binging. Then they post photos of themselves posing proudly all slim and trim. Either they 1) aren't posting updated pics of their fatness, or 2) are just eating too much food sometimes and dramatizing it as "bingeing" or 3) they're bulimic and not saying so.

I do agree with that. I doubt a bulimic would admit the binging without admitting the getting rid of it.

Exercise bulimia and laxative purges are a little easier to hide IMHO especially when the frequency is lower. There are forums where people talk about that separate from here because they know if they discuss it here they will probably have their posts nixed and their accounts deleted. Not that I would know anything about this topic in general, coughcough.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Or perhaps sentenced to hang out with a bulimic or an b/p or someone with BED? I am on an Ed message forum (it's not pro ana but it's secret and people are very open about symptoms) and have read about binge that are over 20 000 calories which involved multiple purging sessions in between and then going back out and going to multiple fast food drive this and the grocery store to get more to binge/ purge on. I've never been that bad but still epic
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

Exercise bulimia and laxative purges are a little easier to hide IMHO especially when the frequency is lower. There are forums where people talk about that separate from here because they know if they discuss it here they will probably have their posts nixed and their accounts deleted. Not that I would know anything about this topic in general, coughcough.

Oh those were my forms of purging too plus diuretics. Yup very common with anorexics. I'm on such a forum but it is definitely not pro ana where eds are accepted and openly discussed but not necessarily encouraged of you know what mean
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I should add I haven't abused laxatives in 12 years and am still suffering the consequences. I know there isn't much literature but I'm convinced my severe crohn's disease is at least partially connected to ingesting way too many laxatives.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad day vent to me by the OP and sure we have all been there. Easy to get overwhelmed and wonder 'why am I doing this?'. I have bad days and good days and im sure tomorrow will be a better day :)

OP's ok..she's got her head on....tomorrow WILL be a better day, for all of us! xo
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I found myself over eating all my life. As a child I used to lay in bed fantasying if only the walls would roll up and under the sheetrock would be fried chicken, potatoes, steaks.. spaghetti.. whatever.. lol and we had family dinner every night around the table and never wanted for food. It was all in my mind for whatever psychological reasons.. Thru my teens and 20s and into my 30s I could scarf up on all I wanted.. close a bar down at 2am and go to Jack and have double jumbo jack with cheese, extra sauce, 2 tacos and fries and shake... I never gained weight UNTIL I hit 40... KABOOM!! A struggle ever since with every diet known to man and woman. Anyway, fast forward to 2016 and now I'm on the right track with mfpal. Logging and weighing I have become aware of what I am really putting in my body and I am seeing results.. losing a pound per week. I have found my place...finally.
  • steelcity74
    steelcity74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am the same way - I told my wellness coach about my obsessions and that I felt like I was crazy - she directed me to this book - Intuitive Eating - you will swear the beginning of the book was written about you just like I felt it was about my life. The book teaches you to go back and listen to your bodys hunger and fullness signs. You have to break the psychological connection and the binge/guilt, restriction cycles. It was a great read over a couple of days. I will admit as the book will tell you - it's hard to change old habits but you have to let go of all the crap we have been fed about food and dieting.

https://amazon.com/Intuitive-Eating-Evelyn-Tribole/dp/1250004047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474566153&sr=8-1&keywords=intuitive+eating
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Or perhaps sentenced to hang out with a bulimic or an b/p or someone with BED? I am on an Ed message forum (it's not pro ana but it's secret and people are very open about symptoms) and have read about binge that are over 20 000 calories which involved multiple purging sessions in between and then going back out and going to multiple fast food drive this and the grocery store to get more to binge/ purge on. I've never been that bad but still epic

I wonder if you and I are on the same board lol.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

I wonder if you and I are on the same board lol.

Probably. I don't post much though. Teef?
  • fatguy_fitness
    fatguy_fitness Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I feel this way too. Sometimes I sneak away with a bunch of food and eat as quickly as a I can so I don't get caught. It's almost like I'm cheating on my wife with food. Then afterwards I'll sit there feeling sick, ashamed and depressed, vowing to never do it again...until the next time. The next day, I'll feel fine, not thinking about how miserable I was the day before and do it all over again. I don't smoke, do drugs and rarely drink...food is where I get my "rush".

Right now I'm doing good, but I've done good in the past and have fallen hard off the wagon. I'm trying to make it stick this time. I want to become someone to whom food is just an energy source, not for pleasure or a "high".