Trying to become a runner!!:)

Options
need some people to hold me accountable and be on my journey with me. as of right now ill do one or two miles a day. usually 10 minutes a mile, really wanna kick up both the numbers and would love some followers and support:)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you can run a mile in 10 minutes, slow it down and you'll be able to run 2 or 3 without trouble.
  • JimmyAsh
    JimmyAsh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If your on Facebook have a look at a page 0-60 Beginners Luck by George Anderson. It teaches you the basics of running and how to build up. It also has a section on breathing and how to get it right.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    it's worth following a structured programme to progress. Many many people (myself included) have good things to say about a couch to 5k programme. It's a run/walk progressive programme, which aims to get you to run a continuous 5k (or at least 30 minutes) at the end of it.

The general tips are to keep it slow, slower than you might think, not much faster than walking, slow enough to be able to have a conversation and that way you'll build endurance. Run for longer, which ultimately will help a beginner run a shorter distance faster. Build no more than 10% distance per week.

as a beginner, you should incorporate rest days, and not run more than three times a week. running every day at this stage is likely to result in overtraining and injury which will do nothing but set you back.

There's various running challenges on here, and if you search for couch to 5k or c25k that should find you some good groups for support.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Follow a program and learn about proper running form. Get evaluated by a real running coach. Despite popular belief - running is NOT something you can just go out and do. You can and will seriously injure yourself if you continue a running journey with crappy form and training routines.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be a runner? Do you like running? If so, for motivation and accountability join a local running group and sign up for a race. If you need motivation because you do not like running, find something you like. It is easier to stay motivated when you are having fun.

Good luck.