Social struggles

Options

Replies

• winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. I get the same thing at work and they come sit next to me with their greasy food from the lunch truck and tell me I'm missing out on life..
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! All of you had great advice. It really helped a bunch! It's also nice to know that there are people out there who have experienced the same sort of thing!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    "What's it to you?"
    "Maybe you should pay a little more attention to what YOU'RE eating."
    "This works for me."
    "All mine. None for you."
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Tell them to f*** off?

This works for me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Do you like the food you are eating? If so talk about how much you enjoy your lunch, ask what they like about their lunch and then change the topic. Don't use words like junk, crap, unhealthy to talk about food. Talk about flavor, satisfaction, cost... whatever, just focus on the positives.
    If you don't like salad bring food you do like. There is a world of nutritious lower calorie lunches that are not salad.
  • FitLaughLove
    Options
    Most of the time people are like "ew why do you have to be so healthy" and I freeze up and respond with an awkward "haha idk I try". Or they say something like "wow how's that salad" in a sarcastic tone. It just really makes me feel like I'm 2 feet tall. I'm not the confrontational type so I just take it. But I really like the suggestions of using positive comebacks like "you're just jealous of my AWESOME salad" which was mentioned earlier in the thread!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Just smile and say, "Don't worry, it's all mine and I'm not sharing!"

Just stick to your goals and do your thing. It's so rude to comment on other people's food. Pretty soon they will see your results and be asking you how to eat.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Get in there first.

Announce your salad and all it's tasty ingredients then turn and say- Josie, you wasting your money at the greasy food truck again, Deb, the same old burger and fries. Don't you ever get bored of eating the same stuff day in day out? I love the variety a salad gives me and the money I am saving for a cruise is a real bonus. Can't wait to get into my bikini.

Cheers, h.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    asaber1616 wrote: »
    How do you handle people giving you a hard time for trying to eat right? I bring salads for lunch often and always get crap for it.. Sometimes it gets so embarrassing that I have considered bringing unhealthy food.. just so they shut up ha
    If you like to read at lunch, or listen to music and they gave you crap for that too, would you give in to their demands? People LOVE to worry about what others are doing so much that they usually want to interfere in some way. It ain't there business, so don't let it be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FitLaughLove
    Options
    Get in there first.

Announce your salad and all it's tasty ingredients then turn and say- Josie, you wasting your money at the greasy food truck again, Deb, the same old burger and fries. Don't you ever get bored of eating the same stuff day in day out? I love the variety a salad gives me and the money I am saving for a cruise is a real bonus. Can't wait to get into my bikini.

Cheers, h.
    Get in there first.

Cheers, h.

This is the greatest thing I have ever read hands down
  • GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Giving people crap for eating a nutritious lunch is kinda like giving someone crap for not smoking. Who does that?!?!

When I quit smoking 10 years ago, I got tons of crap for it from both smokers and nonsmokers. Sometimes people just don't like change whether it's for good or ill.

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Giving people crap for eating a nutritious lunch is kinda like giving someone crap for not smoking. Who does that?!?!

When I quit smoking 10 years ago, I got tons of crap for it from both smokers and nonsmokers. Sometimes people just don't like change whether it's for good or ill.

Seriously?!
    What is with people?!
    When I quit smoking, it seemed my world suddenly exploded with cheerleaders. I can't imagine people being negative about someone dealing with such a terrible addiction

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Get in there first.

Cheers, h.

This is the greatest thing I have ever read hands down [/quote]

Hahaha. Funny thing is I was posting from my phone so didn't see your bikini avatar. h.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    Get in there first.

Cheers, h.

Seriously??

So, before anyone evens says anything about your food, say something rude about their food ????? :o

• WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Another strategy that works for Oh, so many situations where people stick their noses in where they don't belong is to say, "Wow, that was really rude! You must be so embarrassed!" But the trick is, you have to say it in a really sympathetic tone, like you are saying it to your best friend who just loudly belched in the middle of a big meeting with the bigwigs at her/his company.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    my husband giggles when he sees me weighing my food. I told him he was a douche and moved on. If this was easy everyone would look amazing.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care. I eat the way I eat because it makes me feel good and I enjoy it. If Jim from accounting doesn't like my salad, he simply doesn't need to eat one.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    asaber1616 wrote: »
    How do you handle people giving you a hard time for trying to eat right? I bring salads for lunch often and always get crap for it.. Sometimes it gets so embarrassing that I have considered bringing unhealthy food.. just so they shut up ha

I feel your pain! I eat Soylent for breakfast and lunch, think liquid meal replacement. I eat whatever I want for dinner as long as I maintain my calorie limit.

If I am invited for a social breakfast or lunch I bring along my Soylent in a insulated bottle and eat that, while socializing.

I explain I made a lifestyle change, I lost 50 pounds, and this is how I continue that change and maintain my weight.

The hardest thing to ignore is when I socially eat for dinner, I get a lot of crap like - "your breaking your diet!" "You can't eat that, can you?!" "Oh! Cheat Day!"

You simply have to ignore it and smile. If you let it bother you, your night is ruined. Own your lifestyle change!

Usually when I share my before and after pics people shut up and start asking questions.

mhq0up26dc8j.png

I think it's harder now to explain that I don't drink alcohol - (mainly because I would rather eat those calories in food instead of liquid and keep my inhibitions.)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    no one has ever commented on how my diet is.. and that goes for when i did fad diets... in a deficit... or bulking. My friends and family and i are extremely supportive and frankly dont care what one chooses for their life. Ive never had co workers voice negative opinons but they probably know im not the one lol. People love to voice their unwanted opinions. Its your life who cares what people think? You know the saying.... opinions are like *kitten* everyone has them.
  • S2tupidAss
    S2tupidAss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cut the chase and the people holding you back from what's really important for you and your goals