Maxed out on hip thrusts

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I roll the bar up my legs and lift it all with my hips. My arms don't get involved. If you can't do that, yes, do more reps.

This
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Just looked up bumper plates. Are they in place of the iron plates I already have? Sorry, just don't understand.

You can use bumpers alone or with your iron plates.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I roll the bar up my legs and lift it all with my hips. My arms don't get involved. If you can't do that, yes, do more reps.

This

OP, you could also add another set instead of just adding reps.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the fast replies. Much appreciated!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    What I used to do was pick up the bar from standing like a deadlift and then sit on the bench with it and put it on my lap then carefully slide myself down from the bench onto the floor into the hip thrust position
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    nvm. morning me doesn't recognize jokes very easily.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    So instead of buying 35 lb iron plates I should buy 35 lb bumper plates? Are they higher than their iron equivalent? Just unsure of what I am looking at. Not well versed in this area as you can tell.

All bumper plates are the diameter of 45lb regular plates, even if the weight is 10lbs, it's the diameter of a normal 45lb plate.
  • jerb00
    Options
    Oh! Now i get it. This makes so much more sense. Thanks!!!
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do the deadlift weight up, sit on bench, slowely slide into thrust position.

could you ask another gym member to place weight on you when your hubs ain't there?

not ideal, but you can thrust on a smith machine..
  • jerb00
    Options
    katie2400 wrote: »
    I do the deadlift weight up, sit on bench, slowely slide into thrust position.

could you ask another gym member to place weight on you when your hubs ain't there?

not ideal, but you can thrust on a smith machine..

Thanks for the suggestion but I lift at home.

I can't deadlift as much as I can thrust. But did roll my bar up on little pieces f wood we have today and was very careful be it worked! I could thrust 85lbs. Now I just need to get a cushion for the bar so j can lose the pillow and the bumper things so I don't have to mess with the wood☺️
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So are you guys saying that a squat sponge is the same amount of padding as the regular bar pads that you see at the gym? Or the same as cutting a pool noodle? Or is it more padding? I'm just trying to understand. I was using a pool noodle, but as my weights increased I wanted more padding. I am using this big foam thing, and now it's so big and bulky. I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the squat sponge. Thanks!
  • jemhh
    Options
    So are you guys saying that a squat sponge is the same amount of padding as the regular bar pads that you see at the gym? Or the same as cutting a pool noodle? Or is it more padding? I'm just trying to understand. I was using a pool noodle, but as my weights increased I wanted more padding. I am using this big foam thing, and now it's so big and bulky. I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the squat sponge. Thanks!

A squat sponge is more dense than a pool noodle. I've never seen a bar pads at a gym so I can't speak to that comparison. I read the recommendation for a squat sponge either on the Strong Curves FB page or on Contreras's site. I've never had problems with it and my hip bones are pretty prominent when I lie down for glute bridges.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If nobody has mentioned it a simply solution is to do unilateral hip thrusts. Not only do you work with half the working weight, you work on imbalances in the strength of each leg.

It's what I'm forced to do because my glutes, thighs, & Chief gets in the way under a Oly bar. Half the weight allows me to squeeze under a lot easier without having pinching myself.
  • jerb00
    Options

I upgraded from pool noodle to Squat Sponge. Big upgrade. I say worth it.

OP, I'm still not up to 45s yet, and I also work out at home. I prop one end of the barbell on a cinderblock and wiggle under it. Lot cheaper than buying bumper plates.

Good idea. Probably better than the wood I used today.
  • jerb00
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    If nobody has mentioned it a simply solution is to do unilateral hip thrusts. Not only do you work with half the working weight, you work on imbalances in the strength of each leg.

It's what I'm forced to do because my glutes, thighs, & Chief gets in the way under a Oly bar. Half the weight allows me to squeeze under a lot easier without having pinching myself.

Is that the same thing as single leg hip thrusts? If so,while I thanks you for the suggestion - I hate them! I mean, I get that they are beneficial but I seriously hate them and everything around me when I am doing them. I try never to do them unless absolutely necessary
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I just roll it over my legs and position it above my hips. Simple sit on the ground, legs straight out and roll it into position. Then bend your knees and put your feet flat on the ground with the bench behind you at shoulder blade level. That will put you into the starting position
  • jerb00
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I just roll it over my legs and position it above my hips. Simple sit on the ground, legs straight out and roll it into position. Then bend your knees and put your feet flat on the ground with the bench behind you at shoulder blade level. That will put you into the starting position

Right now i can't cuz I only have 25 lb plates and I need a pillow on my hips to keep them from bruising as badly. But I have been trying to work it out with the suggestions I have been given. Thanks for replying.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Is that the same thing as single leg hip thrusts? If so,while I thanks you for the suggestion - I hate them! I mean, I get that they are beneficial but I seriously hate them and everything around me when I am doing them. I try never to do them unless absolutely necessary

Lol, yes.

Preference noted.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I never do single leg hip thrusts but single leg glute bridges make me hateful too. They are a good reminder that bodyweight exercises can be really challenging. Just like Swiss ball leg curls. Deceptively difficult.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    And here I am proud of myself I could do a 15m basic workout with 15lb dumbbells ... =D