17 weeks 17 KGs??

Options
Hi every one,

So I was just calculating, I have 17 weeks until my (mostly wasted) gym membership ends. As stated above, I had this crazy idea of trying to shed 17 kilos in these 17 weeks. I am planning to eat clean, cut out sugar, introduce 30 mins cardio plus moderate weights to my currently sedentary lifestyle. And drinking adequate water to complement it all.

What do you guys think? Is it doable? Any tips and tricks?

If you want to attempt this with me then feel free to buzz me or add me as a buddy.

Thanks,
N

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's pretty aggressive, do you have a lot to lose?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    1kg = 7700kcal so
    Each week you have to have 7700kcal deficit so that is eat 1100kcal each day less than you burn overall. This is very difficult (and unhealthy for 17 weeks) unless you are obese.
    I'm 65 kilos and for me 30min cardio burns 200 to 250kcal.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your stats, it does not sound doable. Especially because weight loss comes first and foremost from a calorie deficit.
  • Koljandertjie69
    Koljandertjie69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Best N, Gebezi are completely right that it is probably unhealthy BUT I know how you feel... I'm inpatient as well and even try to loose more than a kg a week... BUT another BUT I'm still 30 kgs over weight so I got a lot to loose. I will try and loose a kg a week with you! Add me as friend any time :smiley:
  • Farhana1107
    Farhana1107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's doable but the maximum possibility is that you'll get all it back as soon as you stop the aggressive diet and workouts.Besides health issues are also included. Try to be a little patient and target more time to lose the kilos.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback everyone. Some good insights there. I just think I should be giving my absolutely best this time. I am super frustrated but keep putting it off for another day. My laziness takes over I guess. I kinda dont understand what approach to take, aggressive as I have mentioned here or a more subtle, steady approach. In need of some serious motivation. If someone says I cant do it, I will most likely end up doing it.

This is like taking exams at times. Some people study all year long and few crazy souls just study the night before. I have successfully lost 10kg in 3 months before. And without significant effort. I think I just needed some negative reinforcement.

If you have read this rant till here, I am really grateful to you. I will appreciate further insights on this, if you please
  • nehaad88
    Options
    That's pretty aggressive, do you have a lot to lose?

I have around 25 kilos to lose, if I shoot for my most ideal weight
  • nehaad88
    Options
    Best N, Gebezi are completely right that it is probably unhealthy BUT I know how you feel... I'm inpatient as well and even try to loose more than a kg a week... BUT another BUT I'm still 30 kgs over weight so I got a lot to loose. I will try and loose a kg a week with you! Add me as friend any time :smiley:

Hey.. Cant seem to add you.. If you can do it ll be great..
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My tip is to renew your gym membership and plan on taking at least 6-9 months to accomplish this goal in a healthy manner. Read the sticky posts here on MFP (at the top of each forum) about how to set up calorie tracking and adjust your food intake. Get a food scale, start logging, and proceed from there!

We are all impatient to lose weight. I had 150 to lose and it's taken well over 2 years. I would have loved to get to my goal faster, but that's not the point. The changes we make to our eating must be ones we're willing and able to live with for the rest of our lives.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Aim to go 17 times ..or 34 ..or better yet 51 times

Aim to do better, go farther, faster, lift more each week

Far better goal

At the same time start eating less ...see what happens
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I did 15 kg in 16 weeks. If you're going to do that you've got to log everything meticulously and stick to your calorie limit every single day. No diet breaks. And do eat about half your exercise calories back ... if you exercise, you need fuel. But be realistic when it comes to logging exercise too.

After 16 weeks I took a 1-month diet break, then lost another 11 kg in the next 16 weeks.

I have been maintaining for almost a year since then.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Oh, I should add ... I didn't plan to lose 15 kg in 16 weeks. I planned to stick to my diet like glue for 16 weeks and see where I ended up.
  • nehaad88
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Oh, I should add ... I didn't plan to lose 15 kg in 16 weeks. I planned to stick to my diet like glue for 16 weeks and see where I ended up.

Thats great.. What did you diet and exercise routine look like?
  • Machka9
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thats great.. What did you diet and exercise routine look like?

During the first 16 weeks ...

1250 calories

+

50-60% of my exercise calories if I did a small amount of exercise (under 90 minutes/day)

or

70-80% of my exercise calories if I did more exercise (like on weekends when I would go for a 4-hour bicycle ride or something).

I went to the local grocery stores and markets etc. to find food I liked that would fit within my calorie limit and I meticulously weighed and logged everything.

As for exercise, I climbed the stairs in my office, walked and cycled. A light day was 20 flights of stairs and a 30 min brisk walk. Heavier days were usually long distance cycling including quite a few hills.

During the second 16 weeks, I upped my calories to 1350 and started including weight lifting, cycling even longer distances, and I was up to 35-40 flights of stairs 4-5 days a week.

Now my focus is on training for even yet longer cycling distances, so I moved into maintenance when I started doing that. Too hard to put in that level of effort on a deficit.

• lynalyei
    lynalyei Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    add me please.
    i need all the motivation to lose weight.