200lb weight loss journey. Advice for keeping skin tight?

kherrons
kherrons Posts: 99 Member
Hey guys. So I'm pretty new to the message boards and I thought I'd make my first official post. I have been on this horrible roller coaster of yo-yo dieting for probably the past eight years. I finally woke up one day and started to take it seriously and do it the right way. 'm not at a huge milestone yet, I've only lost 15 pounds, but as I get further on my journey I am freaking out about excess skin. I know it is about becoming a healthier you, but let's face it, we all want to look hot naked.

I just recently moved to Texas and it is hot as hell here so I go swimming probably five times a week and incorporate strength training at least three days out of the week. I drink close to a gallon of water day and my mother in my opinion has always had a pretty rocking body. I'm hoping that some of these things will work in my favor. I plan to lose the 200 over at least two years.

So I guess what I'm looking for are people who have been through this process, lost a person or two, and managed to keep the sagging skin to a minimum. What exercises did you do, how often did you do it, what are some suggestions you could give?

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks for reading :smile:

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I'm just starting to try for some weight loss - about a week in- and have at least 100lbs to lose.

I'm hoping to learn from your answers too!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    I have lost 1/2 my weight and my arms are starting to look terrible. I have done this before and gotten to this weight before and they looked fine. I think I have played Russian Roulette one too many times and gravity has taken over this time. :-( I have come to the conclusion that if I can just get my old (skinny) arms back, I will accept the flabby tummy etc. I miss my nice arms. I wonder how much an arm lift will cost? :huh:
  • I'd love some tips too :)
  • kherrons
    Blondageh I think about lifts and tucks probably once a week and realize I'm just way too broke for that:laugh:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    There is no magic answer. Slow and steady is the best way to preserve elasticity. Exercise to encourage blood flow. Eat at a reasonable deficit, mostly nutritious foods, and the rest is unfortunately based on genetics. Regardless, if you end up with loose skin, it will all still be worth it.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Blondageh I think about lifts and tucks probably once a week and realize I'm just way too broke for that:laugh:

I am too! I told my husband when I get all skinny I am going to find a sugar daddy to pay for all that. Problem solved. :tongue:
  • dbuckner
    dbuckner Posts: 2 Member
    Lots of water and aniioxidents also weight lifing
  • kherrons
    Misskittyninja, You just gave me a reason for a weekly massage! Definitely my favorite advice so far :) thank you for all the great tips.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    It mostly comes down to genetics. There are other factors that contribute, like how long you have been overweight and your age and condition of your skin, etc... but really, it's all on your dna. Some people can have loose skin problems with a 40 pound weight loss, and some people look perfect after 100 pounds loss. Just keep hydrated, keep the blood flowing, and remember not to freak out if it starts to get a bit "baggy." It can take up to three years for your skin to catch up to your new body size. After you've been at the size you want to be for that long, you'll know what you're actually working with.

Good luck on your journey! :)
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    I do moderate strength training with light weights and resistance bands along with Pilates 2-3 times a week. This, combined with 5-7 days of cardio, has resulted in minimal flabby skin.
  • kherrons
    I guess I've been overweight for so long I can be patient with my skin to recover *fingers crossed* thank you Youcandoeet

Rumplesnat, you are definitely an inspiration! Congratulations on your weight loss. You've lost what I'd like to. I'm going to have to try incorporating some Pilates in my workouts now :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Weekly Massage

Getting frequent massages that utilize effleurage movements, a technique that helps to improve skin circulation, is a great way to maintain skin health. There are also techniques that can help to smooth cellulite if that is a concern. If getting a professional massage isn't for you, there are many massage techniques that are great for the skin that you can do yourself. Use a good quality lotion or oil and focus on stimulating the blood flow so that the skin's surface will feel rejuvenated

SOLD! lol I'd love to get weekly massages.
  • Body brushing is great! I bought a brush off Amazon that has a contoured handle so I can brush my back as well. It's supposed to also help reduce cellulite - haven't been brushing long enough to notice a difference yet but it's worth a try.

There's youtube videos on the best way to body brush to get the maximum benefit from it.
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Ok...everyone says there's no trick to getting your skin tighten...well there just may be. My mother was 50 years old when she started losing weight effectively. Before then she had been a yo-yo dieter. She went from about 280 to 170 in about a year. I never really thought about it until I was talking to her one day while she changed. WOW...she had like next to NO stretch marks and NO hanging skin. She is only 5'3" so her 280 is almost my 323!

Her secret. Walk with water bottles pumping your arms as you walk. Riding her stationary bike, lifting arms above head with water bottles. A very inexpensive lotion from the Dollar General store. $1 bottle of creamy baby oil. After every shower she generously applied to her whole body including face. Vitamin E gel pills.

She is now 59 she has gained about $20 back, mostly from being in one of those hover-rounds...at 39 I have more wrinkles then she does! I've just started using the lotion on my face to hopefully slow down the aging!

Good luck! Hope it Helps!
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    what lotion>? i have released 206 pounds..over the years i started out at 370.. now im 164 no lose skin. i did body brush some. i also used 3 and 5 pound weights and went to the gym and used machines.. i have arthritis in my wrists and left elbows so no free weights.. i have 29 pounds to goal .. i think the fear of lose skin is my biggest fear.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!