Olive oil

Options
xaryo
xaryo Posts: 104 Member
Is olive oil that much caloric?

I was preparing my lunch last night and calculating everything. ( look at my log) and 3 table spoon of olive oil is really that much calories??

Next time i'll skip the oil, put more vinegar or leminjuce and uae thoses calories to add a tuna can.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yup. It's a fat at 9 calories per gram.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...yeah. Oils are fat...fat is calorie dense. Oils and fat (like butter) are around 120 calories per Tbsp. Also, caloric density has nothing to do with somethings nutritional value...and dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition. Olive oil is a good heart healthy oil to use...not sure why you would use 3 Tbsp though...that's a lot of oil.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes, its fat, so has a lot of calories
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is pure fat. Fat has 9 calories per gram. So... yes.

That being said, if you are using it as your only dressing on salads (which are generally VERY low calorie) i don't see an issue with it if it fits into your goal. A good salad that I make might have 400 or so calories with atleast 250 of that coming from fats.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Did you really eat all 3 tbsp or was there some in the pan afterwards? I only use 0.5 tbsp to cook most anything.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Fat has 9 calories per gram
    Protein and carbs 4 calories per gram
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes it's high. I do about 1 tbsp of olive oil max a day. It's a healthy fat and has good nutritional value, but definitely one to measure and portion.
  • xaryo
    Options
    1 tbs only for a bowl of salad. I mean that's not enough that or nothing it will taste the same.

Must be my measurment that is wrong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    xaryo wrote: »
    1 tbs only for a bowl of salad. I mean that's not enough that or nothing it will taste the same.

That's only because you're accustomed to dumping a gallon of salad dressing on your salad...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    When I bake cauliflower I generally coat it in a couple tbsp of olive oil, then salt and pepper it. Once it's done I figure at least 1 tbsp of the oil is left in the pan, so I only log 1 tbsp. It depends though on how you're using it though. If you're using it in a dressing you may be eating more of it. I've just learned to use less. Try using less oil and more vinegar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's only because you're accustomed to dumping a gallon of salad dressing on your salad...

Yeah, straight olive oil is not a good substitute for salad dressing. Mix it with vinegar or something.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, although it's fat, is a "healthy fat" compared to butter and some other oils, so you calories are better spent from a health and nutrition point of view. We all need healthy fat in our diets.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    People like what they like, but sometimes people's preferences change, too. FWIW, I also think 3TBS is a ton of dressing. Maybe you could get used to enjoying salad with less? Gradually trim back the dressing quantity? Lowering the oil ratio, as you mentioned, is a great approach, too.

I dislike a lot of dressing. It kind of ruins it for me. If a salad has chicken, bacon, cheese, avocado, nuts, salmon or anything else that has a strong flavor, I prefer no dressing at all. Different likes.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use two tablespoons on my daily lunch salad, a good couple of shakes of wine vinegar sprinkled with pink salt. Love it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

....If I use oil on salad it's a half tablespoon. A whole tablespoon would be a treat. And I eat a whole box of lettuce, a whole cucumber, whole tomato, meat, and a whole pepper in my salads.
  • jnm120
    jnm120 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

....If I use oil on salad it's a half tablespoon. A whole tablespoon would be a treat. And I eat a whole box of lettuce, a whole cucumber, whole tomato, meat, and a whole pepper in my salads.

^^ What she said. My salads are generally pretty big, and a lot of time I will either use half an avocado or a half tablespoon of dressing. A whole tablespoon completely overpowers the salad for me.
  • GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you're using that much oil & still staying within your goals, great. I sometimes eat things without added fat in some meals (like plain broccoli or cauliflower) so I can have another meal with more (healthy) fats. OTOH, there are alternatives to using lots of oil. For instance, these are some lovely healthy recipes for salad dressing. Also, I've found I can often significantly reduce the amount of oil/fat in a recipe & it still tastes fine.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jnm120 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

^^ What she said. My salads are generally pretty big, and a lot of time I will either use half an avocado or a half tablespoon of dressing. A whole tablespoon completely overpowers the salad for me.

I would love a whole tablespoon but I would rather break up my macros and get a bit of other foods in.
  • xaryo
    Options
    I re-did approximatly the same recipe than last time.

Except this time, i put more tofu and just 1 tbls of olive oil. Less cal, more volume.

Salad in a mason jar.
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It is a healthy fat and too much of anything is bad. I only use 1tbsp a day but i have now switched to rapeseed oil