If you aren't hungry when you wake up, can you still be in deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    appreciate that...but I didn't gain 40 lbs. by not eating enough. I agree I need to be tracking but I was just wondering more or less about the feeling of hunger and if it needed to be present in the morning to be in deficit.
    If you're not actually weighing your food, you might not even be eating enough to begin with, which would explain why you're so hungry at night. Best bet is to get all your numbers put into MFP...figure out what you require each day to lose whatever weight it is you're looking to lose, and start to weigh, log and follow your trends. Once you start weighing each food and logging, you'll be able to better see overall why you are so hungry at the end of each day. Sometimes just a couple simple tweaks can fix everything.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Nope. Why don't you start each day as a new day, new deficit to build?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If you are always hungry in a deficit Id take a look at macros. Eat more fat and protein. For me I stay fuller longer eating close to 50% of my calories from fat. If I get the bulk of my calories from simple carbs Im hungry a lot more through out the day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible to not be hungry in the morning and be in a deficit. I eat most of my food just before going to bed so I'm rarely hungry before 1:00 even though I get up at 6:30. I've lost 30 lbs this way.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Thank you. Appreciate the input!
    Of course it's possible to not be hungry in the morning and be in a deficit. I eat most of my food just before going to bed so I'm rarely hungry before 1:00 even though I get up at 6:30. I've lost 30 lbs this way.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    being hungry or not has nothing to do with being in a deficit...

A deficit is simply consuming less energy than your body expends...so, like if you need 2000 calories to maintain weight and you eat 1500 you would be in a 500 calorie deficit.

This^

Hunger is due to the release of ghrelin and you don't need to be in an energy deficit for it to be released, it normally is released when your stomach is empty. People who consistently eat far more than they need still get hungry.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The other thing I would say is just because I and others don't always feel hungry in the morning doesn't mean it will ever happen for you. My dad is one who has always been ravenous when he wakes up and he has maintained his weight within about 10 pounds for about 50 years. I have actually seen him get up at 3am, make a full breakfast and go back to bed. It can be a part of your physiology if you are hungry in the morning or not.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hunger doesn't depend on how many calories you eat, but on WHAT you eat. You could eat 2000 calories of chocolate and still be hungry, or 1200 calories of veggies and be stuffed.

So hunger really isn't a factor at all.
  • charlenekapf
    edited September 2016
    Options
    unfortunately I find this to be false. If I eat pounds of cauliflower and brussels sprouts, etc. I am stuffed but still feel ridiculously hungry because the lack of fat. It's an odd feeling but I did that a lot when I was really strict with counting. I would look pregnant by night time, but be so hungry because my fats were low. I do believe that your body also senses calories and that yes veggies help bulk up meals quite nicely but only eating vegetables for the bulk of your calories makes you bloated, gassy and not really full for longer than an hour.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hunger doesn't depend on how many calories you eat, but on WHAT you eat. You could eat 2000 calories of chocolate and still be hungry, or 1200 calories of veggies and be stuffed.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I will be. I am starting to get back on track but I wanted to know if it was possible to not have to feel hunger in the morning and still be losing. I was not asking if I actually WAS in a deficit as I know nobody can tell me that but myself if I'm accurately weighing and tracking. I wanted to know more about the feeling of waking up in the morning when dieting. Weird question I know but I was curious as I've always felt ravenous and dead if I'm in a deficit.
    You have not answered the question--are you weighing and logging all your food?

Sounds like previously your calorie deficit was too aggressive and/or you weren't focusing on foods that satiate you.

Did you lose weight fast previously? That tends to lead to rebound weight gain.

I run a moderate calorie deficit and am only hungry right before meals.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    I've always lost weight fast. Always very hard to maintain. Always intense exercise. I think the hormonal impact all this has had has also made it difficult as my body has been through a lot. However, I do know it is CICO. But I believe my hunger/satiety/sleep is screwed up from years of yo-yoing. but i cannot go on gaining like I have.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I will be. I am starting to get back on track but I wanted to know if it was possible to not have to feel hunger in the morning and still be losing. I was not asking if I actually WAS in a deficit as I know nobody can tell me that but myself if I'm accurately weighing and tracking. I wanted to know more about the feeling of waking up in the morning when dieting. Weird question I know but I was curious as I've always felt ravenous and dead if I'm in a deficit.

Sounds like previously your calorie deficit was too aggressive and/or you weren't focusing on foods that satiate you.

• kshama2001
    Options
    I've always lost weight fast. Always very hard to maintain. Always intense exercise. I think the hormonal impact all this has had has also made it difficult as my body has been through a lot. However, I do know it is CICO. But I believe my hunger/satiety/sleep is screwed up from years of yo-yoing. but i cannot go on gaining like I have.

If 125 pounds was a good weight for you, that means you have less than 50 pounds to lose and should not seek a weekly weight loss goal of more than a pound a week. Losing weight slowly will teach you good habits which will make maintenance easier.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    thank you. i see it as having a ton of weight to lose and it freaks me out but you're right. slow and steady and learning healthier habits for life is a lot better than previous approaches of overexercising and crash/fad dieting. waiting on bloodwork from Dr. also to address thyroid and hormones again given it's been awhile since I stopped taking the medication and probably need to amp it up slowly.

If 125 pounds was a good weight for you, that means you have less than 50 pounds to lose and should not seek a weekly weight loss goal of more than a pound a week. Losing weight slowly will teach you good habits which will make maintenance easier.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    thank you. i see it as having a ton of weight to lose and it freaks me out but you're right. slow and steady and learning healthier habits for life is a lot better than previous approaches of overexercising and crash/fad dieting. waiting on bloodwork from Dr. also to address thyroid and hormones again given it's been awhile since I stopped taking the medication and probably need to amp it up slowly.

Maybe watch a few episodes of My 600 Pound Life to get some perspective ;)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    unfortunately I find this to be false. If I eat pounds of cauliflower and brussels sprouts, etc. I am stuffed but still feel ridiculously hungry because the lack of fat. It's an odd feeling but I did that a lot when I was really strict with counting. I would look pregnant by night time, but be so hungry because my fats were low. I do believe that your body also senses calories and that yes veggies help bulk up meals quite nicely but only eating vegetables for the bulk of your calories makes you bloated, gassy and not really full for longer than an hour.
    Francl27 wrote: »

I find it to be totally true. And as you say, there has to be fat. So bring on the butter or olive oil and it's all good. Also, with the necessary fat you don't need to eat "pounds" of anything. Unfortunately vegetables get a bad rap because people think that because vegetables are on the menu fat is not. Some people purposely leave out the fat because they think it makes them fat. I can only imagine how bland and boring that must be.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    haha yes...that is true.

Maybe watch a few episodes of My 600 Pound Life to get some perspective ;)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry most of the time, even when I was gaining. That feeling contributed to eating habits that caused me to gain 5-10 lbs per year for many years. I'm still hungry most of the time, my macros are right, I have appropriate amounts of protein & fat, keep hydrated, etc. I've concluded it's just gonna be a thing with me long term & I just have to accept it. So maybe it's just a thing with some of use based on body chemistry, hormones, etc.
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the double combo, low carb and low cal, I'm @ 30g carbs per day and 1200-1500 calories. I'm in deficit for sure, I've lost over 20 pounds in 2 months, and I'm very rarely hungry, I usually have to make myself eat just to make calories. Also when I get the munchies now instead of eating a whole package of cinnamon rolls or muffins like I used too after smoking my body wants meats & proteins now, lunch meats and sliced cheese usually.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Lack of hunger/appetite isn't related to caloric deficit. There are several medical conditions which inhibit hunger, no matter how much of a deficit you are in.