What Are Your Food Alternatives

Options
NicoleMichael62
NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you guys have any go to alternatives for the not so healthy food you love?

Instead of potato chips what do you have?
Instead of a chocolate bar what do you have?
Instead of bacon wh....there is no substitute for bacon! :'(

Would love to know your healthy alternatives.

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    maybe turkey bacon...but all things are in play within your calorie goal.
  • itsmemalak
    itsmemalak Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kale chips or (i know its weird) but i really like nori sheets, i put them in the oven very quickly and i eat them like chips lol

Dark chocolate but usually when i want something sweet i do a banana icecream (blended frozen banana) and i sprinkle some granola and dark chocolate chips on it. Its so good

I never really ate bacon but maybe try turkey bacon? It's less calories, i try to cut red meat as much as i can tbh
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

I refuse!!! I have a feeling it just wouldn't taste as good. Hahaha.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    itsmemalak wrote: »
    Kale chips or (i know its weird) but i really like nori sheets, i put them in the oven very quickly and i eat them like chips lol

Dark chocolate but usually when i want something sweet i do a banana icecream (blended frozen banana) and i sprinkle some granola and dark chocolate chips on it. Its so good

I never really ate bacon but maybe try turkey bacon? It's less calories, i try to cut red meat as much as i can tbh

I love the frozen banana idea. That sounds really good cause I love bananas.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

I refuse!!! I have a feeling it just wouldn't taste as good. Hahaha.

It doesn't.. :( this was an alternative that failed for me. :(
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    *Shrugs* A couple pieces, heck even three or four, pieces of bacon isn't that calorific. I eat the bacon.

I also eat the chocolate and the chips. Chocolate more likely on a workout day, chips in a single serve bag.

If it fit (my calories) I eats.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    Glad to see everyone loves a bit of bacon in their lives. LOL.

I honestly have a few healthy chip options (I like the sweet potato, quinoa and beet chips from Terra) and for chocolate I just try to portion control and go for the dark kind.

But bacon you just can't! LOL. Only my willpower can help me cause turkey bacon isn't where its at. :D
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For chips, a sourdough pretzel
  • theresakruse48
    theresakruse48 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is yummy! And i eat protein bars in place of a candy bar..and in place of ice cream I have a protein shake...but like others have said, sometimes you just have to eat the real thing and fit it into your calories!
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't like bacon. I love potato chips. I try to satisfy myself with popcorn or something, but whatever. And I'm allergic to chocolate so I never have that and don't miss it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Total agreement. No substitute for bacon. Or chocolate for that matter. And I have both frequently-- not daily but usually once or more a week. I'm not that into chips, but if I want some, I'll weigh & eat them, too. Or if in a restaurant, I'll have a few (3-5) just for the taste, which generally reminds me I'd rather spend the calories on things I like more. Maybe if at home try air popped popcorn instead of chips? I like popcorn better than chips, though.

The one thing I do pretty consistently is if I'm serving a main dish with pasta, rice or couscous for my family, I'll serve mine on fresh spinach instead. I don't know if you would call that a substitution because spinach in no way approximates rice, but it often tastes really good with the curry or stir fry or beans whatever I made for the rice and it is a lot of volume & nutrition with few calories.

I also make a couple fat bombs (sugarless flourless brownies & ricotta lemon cake) that substitute as desserts (well, they actually ARE desserts) while helping me with my macros.

And diet sodas. Don't have them every day, but I like one every now and then and dislike sugary ones.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    PB2 powder for my peanut butter fix (when I don't have the calories left for the real thing)
    Halo Top vs Ben & Jerry's for my ice cream fix
    Xtreme Wellness and Sprouts tortillas (50 - 80 calories) vs traditional flour tortillas (210 calories on average)
    Laughing Cow cheese spreads instead of regular cheese for wraps
    Special K pop chips vs regular potato chips
    Single serving popcorn bags!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I also eat them if I want them. I just fit them within my calories, and strive to have the majority of my food be nutritious.
  • cmjlavallee
    cmjlavallee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There are a few things I have tried and enjoy...

I really like chicken breakfast sausage (alfresco is the brand I use, very yummy)
    I like baked chips or veggie straws for my chip cravings
    I've used the Olive Oil based Mayo that has less calories and have recently found and fell in love with yogurt dips that have only 25 calories to 2 TBSP (Chobani). I've been using this instead of mayo and making chicken salad with cucumbers, pickles, etc. I've found flavors like onion, roasted red pepper, chili lime.
    I too indulge in dark chocolate, Godiva, Ghirardelli or Dove. Usually just a square with my coffee in the afternoon.
    I can also enjoy low fat cheese slices when on a sandwich
    Also use sandwich thins instead of bread.

I know you can eat whatever fits into your calories but some of these have helped my calories go a bit further during the day. Good luck!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Instead of potato chips eat air popped pop corn or just eat 1 portion which is about 12 chips. You have to count them out & then put the bag away.

Instead of a chocolate candy bar I was eating Fiber One brownies for less than 100 calories plus 5g of fiber! 2-3 Hershey's kisses also helps. They say a small amount of dark chocolate is good for you.

I've learned to make my mashed potatoes with cauliflower.

Instead of sugared soda I now drink water. I really hate diet soda so that's not an option for me.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    Turkey bacon is yummy! And i eat protein bars in place of a candy bar..and in place of ice cream I have a protein shake...but like others have said, sometimes you just have to eat the real thing and fit it into your calories!

I have switched to coconut/soy milk ice cream bars. Which are actually pretty good. I tried one brand of a protein shake and I couldn't stomach the first sip. It was gross.

I know what you mean...to satisfy your craving sometimes you just gotta have the real thing.
  • NicoleMichael62
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Total agreement. No substitute for bacon. Or chocolate for that matter. And I have both frequently-- not daily but usually once or more a week. I'm not that into chips, but if I want some, I'll weigh & eat them, too. Or if in a restaurant, I'll have a few (3-5) just for the taste, which generally reminds me I'd rather spend the calories on things I like more. Maybe if at home try air popped popcorn instead of chips? I like popcorn better than chips, though.

The one thing I do pretty consistently is if I'm serving a main dish with pasta, rice or couscous for my family, I'll serve mine on fresh spinach instead. I don't know if you would call that a substitution because spinach in no way approximates rice, but it often tastes really good with the curry or stir fry or beans whatever I made for the rice and it is a lot of volume & nutrition with few calories.

I also make a couple fat bombs (sugarless flourless brownies & ricotta lemon cake) that substitute as desserts (well, they actually ARE desserts) while helping me with my macros.

And diet sodas. Don't have them every day, but I like one every now and then and dislike sugary ones.

Those sugarless flourless brownies sound amazing! I usually have one of those 90 calorie fibre 1 brownies if I am craving that.