For those who gained it back

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Thank you @Aaron_K123! You reminded me that this is also the first time I'm losing weight for me and not an event (vacation, birthday etc). I know I will count calories from here on out but I hope to count mentally one day buy guesstimates.

Sad to say that weight loss for me this time around is yet again event inspired.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    I had lost 96lbs counting calories while eating keto, ended up gaining 60-ish lbs back because as soon as I switched back to eating normally, I ate everything and didn't count calories anymore. Right now I'm at ~70lbs down again with plain calorie counting.

This happened to me as well however old Atkins wasn't about counting calories so I naturally increased calories when I went up in carbs and the weight went up. Regardless It wasn't sustainable for me and sadly I knew it when I went on it. It was just easier to read how such and such stays so thin on low very low carbs and I got caught up. I've since for unrelated reasons stopped eating meat with the exception of fish once or twice a month.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight (20-25 lbs) about three times and gained it back and a little more each time. The first time was in college, when I broke up with my boyfriend and became a vegetarian. I think after losing 20 lbs initially, I then just eventually started finding unhealthy vegetarian food, plus didn't track food back then, and slowly I gained it all back. The second time I lost weight was when my husband and I decided to lose together, and we got really into running and doing races (5k, 10k, half marathons). I was counting calories (eating 1650 cal per day--I'm female, 5'6", started out at about 140 then), and we worked up to running a lot of miles per week. I got down to 118 and loved how I looked and felt, and loved running and racing. Then I got a running related injury, couldn't run as much, and lost all my momentum, and gained back more than half the weight pretty quickly. Then over the years we had 3 kids, so between fertility hormones, pregnancies, and the busyness that comes with having young kids, I eventually got back to the high 140s. Then I found IF and got back into running some, so lost about 17 lbs that way. Then we decided to try for a fourth and ended up having miscarriages, and I found myself at 156 when it was all done. So now I'm back to counting calories, but this time enjoying doing so on MFP (it was a chore counting calories on paper way back when!). I'm also now trying to get into an exercise habit that will be maintainable over the long term. I don't want to have to rely on a high training volume to keep my weight down, because life happens and I can't always be certain that exercise will happen. I'm expecting to need to continue to log daily, but that's okay because I'm a numbers gal, and like I said, I do enjoy logging on MFP. I began my FINAL weight loss journey two months ago and I'm down 11 lbs, so steady goes it!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @kommodevaran thank you. I learned this from old Atkins diet too.
    @mygrl4meee thank you. I'm hoping to learn that I cant always put others first, sometimes I come first so that I can not only be here for them but also be the best me to help them.

Eta - putting myself first sometimes has been extremely difficult for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging and weighing, got into a relationship, started cooking higher calorie foods, eating out more, drinking more, and exercising less.

My plan for maintenance when I get there is to continue to log or minimally continue to weigh and go back to logging if I gain five pounds.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Unsustainable diet - didn't learn how to eat properly and just went back to my old habits afterwards. I only lost 30 pounds but very fast (4 months?) so I just really didn't learn anything.

This is pretty much what I did, too.

About nine years ago I lost weight using meal-replacement shakes - not one of the well known brands, but still a product from a reputable MLM company that my friend and sponsor had used (and was still using... that should have been a clue!) with great success. I realised that my brain didn't think I'd had a meal unless there was something to chew, so I'd have a piece of fruit or something with my breakfast shake and a plain salad with the lunch one, then a normal dinner. (As far as I recall, I probably ate what was "normal" for me at that time rather than trying to eat "healthy".)

I started at 198lbs and got down to 175 in about 4 months - I didn't do any exercise, but I was in an active job at the time and on my feet for 8 hours a day, which probably helped! I got a sedentary job in an office, and after a couple more months I stopped using the shakes because they were pretty expensive and I just couldn't keep up with the cost. I blithely figured I'd stay at that weight without trying... We all know how that goes!

So, I learned nothing about calories or portion control, went back to eating the way I had been before I started, and soon the weight started creeping back on. I'd complain about my weight but do nothing, because I thought I'd have to be on the shakes for the rest of my life like my friend (who probably still has one a day - I lost contact with her so I don't know), always feel hungry, and never be able to eat my favourite foods again. I didn't like being fat, but I wasn't prepared to put myself through misery to lose weight even though I hated my body and what I'd done to it. I resigned myself to being fat for ever, because I had no willpower.

Over the years all 23lbs and a lot more came back, and I started this year at 217. I was probably a few pounds heavier last year, thanks to a job that had an in-house cook and fabulous hot lunches as a perk! I was sad to lose that when I was laid off, but it was probably far better for my health. I have a friend who's lost a lot of weight himself, along with his wife, and had mentioned MFP to me before. In January I was finally ready to try again and signed up... after realising I didn't have to cut out anything if I didn't want to, but only watch my portions and count calories, I was sold!

As of this week I'm down 40lbs, and although I think I may have to count and log even when I get to maintenance, I'm learning a lot this time and I'm gradually getting used to estimating calories and portion sizes. I'm learning to be satisfied with smaller meals and less treats, and I don't even crave chocolate any more. I can see this being something I'll be able to keep up for the long haul, although I realise I can't let myself get complacent again. I'll need to weigh myself regularly and watch my intake, but I can see myself succeeding this time!

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant. Just started working on the pregnancy weight when I got pregnant again.

I am just about back to where I was when I got pregnant the first time, only this time I'm using 2 kinds of birth control.
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I lost 105lbs initially on MFP, kept it off for two years. Had anorexic bulimic history and dieting has always been hard. After my mom passed away I started binge eating again and gained 60lbs back. When I hear myself say, "I don't care anymore this is to hard!" I know it's a red flag for binging. I have now lost 25lbs of that 60. For me it's about keeping diabetes at bay. I do at least 60 minutes of exercise and weights everyday! When my family complains I just ask do you want me to weigh 250lbs again and be diabetic?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I became very active and switched how I ate, instead of the protein or carb for my main course I had salads and the other stuff as a small side. I didnt count any calories and I lost 80+lbs. I maintained for 3 years and then switched to a stressful desk job so my activity decreased a lot and at the same time I moved in with my boyfriend who is a chef and always bringing treats home.

After a year I had gained 30lb and one pant size. Thats when I joined this site and got a fitbit to motivate myself to become more active again.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    @ashjongfit Thank you for sharing your story. So glad that you're able to see inside yourself that way--not everyone can.

For me, I am successful maintaining as long as I stay vigilent, once I slack off (due to stress, illness, lack of motivation, whatever), the weight comes right back on. I've found that if I weigh myself daily and log my calories about 1/2 the week (sticking to weight loss numbers), I can maintain fairly comfortably. Once I completely stop logging, though, it's going to come back on. This is pretty much what everyone else is saying too. Good luck!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I lost ~60 lbs using MFP - simply keeping track of my intake and increasing my output. I stopped logging about a year ago and gained ~35 lbs back, so back on track for one week now. Don't plan to do anything different other than continuing to keep logging and stay aware.

Did you try to eat intuitively or did you just not pay attention?

I paid no attention and stopped working out. No surprises there. My priorities temporarily shifted and dealing with some bad issues at work - these have largely been resolved and priorities have been adjusted appropriately.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In 2012 I used the Weight Watchers points system and somedays just counted calories, and I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I was super proud of myself and felt so much better, but after I lost the weight I went back to how I usually ate. With Weight Watchers I was just eating a bunch of premade meals and snacks that I didn't actually like. I have gained all the weight back since.

As I've noticed the weight coming back over the years, I've been slowly incorporating healthier foods into my diet. I still buy some premade microwave meals for the times I'm too lazy to make a healthy meal for myself, but I mostly mealprep and make things that I find to be delicious--things I'll remake for myself even 30 pounds lighter, just because it tastes good and I enjoy it!

Now I'm using MFP to log my calories and exercise and incorporate all of the healthy habits I've slowly been learning the last few years. I feel amazing! I think the key is to be honest with yourself and recognize the things that are usually barriers to weight loss--then getting creative and finding a way to make it work for you! Love Mexican food? Try out recipes that are healthier versions of what you normally eat! Can't resist those doritos? Just have 2-4 and eat them slowly, so at least you're not depriving yourself. Make this a LIFESTYLE change and not just a 3-Month change that will inevitably set you up for failure.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My second time here .. lost 60 first time .. had some health issues and gained it back .. I could blame that or the ice cream being on sale lol main thing is we have to take care of ourselves .. no one else will ... hope I succeed this time ..

Good luck
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I lost and gained many times, always gaining more than I lost. Then I decided to change my entire outlook on food and it's role in my life. I've lost 43 pounds while learning new eating habits and stress reduction strategies. It's been a long slow loss, however; as soon as I plataue for a couple of weeks I notice the weight begins creeping up so now when that plataue comes it's a signal for me to go into maintenance mode ... which sometimes lasts as long as 4 months at a time. ... what do I do ... eat food that doesn't trigger pig-outs 90-95% of the time and when I do have the foods that do trigger cravings/pig-outs I have them outside my home instead of in it ... cause I've learned if it's in the house I'll over-indulge in times of weakness. That, and prepare my own meals and reserve restaurant meals (fast or not) to special occasions. And, an steady increase in my physical output ... nothing wild or super extensive, just a big mixture of stretch, strength, cardio all done in at home or on the sidewalks of my neighborhood. I am for 45 minutes of such activity a day/
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I maintained for awhile until:
    1) I hit a really stressful patch of life
    2) I had trouble sleeping and got a lot less sleep
    3) I got lax about drinks with calories.

The only BIG difference in my food intake, honestly? Was getting in the habit of having wine with dinner a couple of nights a week, but those coupel of hundred calories a shot add up over time!