Fitbit says 698 left MFP says 837?

Options
tracymayo1
tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So my Fitbit and MFP are synced and I was looking at the 2 side by side and noticed that the calories LEFT are different...
If I log my food on MFP and I let my FitBit do the adjustments based on my actual recorded activity - shouldn't the numbers be the same if nor closer??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Mine will show different numbers at different times of day (I think because Fitbit has a different way to "guess" how many calories I will use for the rest of the day), but they end up at the same place by end of day usually. I would just pick one and stick with it. I use MFP for all my calorie IN tracking and Fitbit for all my calorie OUT tracking. That way I never have to worry about discrepancies.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    @janejellyroll - I tend to do the same... MFP = IN Fitbit = OUT.
    Now that you mention it you are right - normally by the time I "close" my day they are about the same (+/- 50 calories) I guess I never noticed such a gap before today.
    I'll watch for the lower of the 2 to be safe I suppose, and see what is left after logging dinner based on that!

Thanks for the confirmation
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I personally do not pay attention to the calories that Fitbit allots for me. I strictly focus on what MFP says. It's just easier that way for me.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I also use mfp for CI and fitbit for CO. At the end of the day they are usually pretty close. Fitbit annoys me though because I could be "in the zone" when I go to bed and the next day it will show I was "under goal" so I just go by what mfp says I have left and try to eat most of my fitbit adjustment. So far it is working for me.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Your FitBit is going to be more accurate as it's tied to your Heart Rate. MFP Estimates your calorie burn based on the type of activity and your body weight. However, intensity, fitness level and other factors are not considered in the estimate, just a straight " X Calories/Minute times Body Weight".

Eg, last week my wife and I trained together. We both did 45 mins of Strength training. I am 200lbs and she is 240. That being said, I multiple sets pushing at 80% of my max. She did really light weights just going through the motions as she is new.

But, according to MFP, she burned more cals than I did based on Weight * Time in the same activity.

IF we'd been wearing fitbits, no doubt we'd see different numbers.

Go with what your fitbit says and take MFP as a ballpark estimate.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Egger29 wrote: »
    Your FitBit is going to be more accurate as it's tied to your Heart Rate. MFP Estimates your calorie burn based on the type of activity and your body weight. However, intensity, fitness level and other factors are not considered in the estimate, just a straight " X Calories/Minute times Body Weight".

Eg, last week my wife and I trained together. We both did 45 mins of Strength training. I am 200lbs and she is 240. That being said, I multiple sets pushing at 80% of my max. She did really light weights just going through the motions as she is new.

But, according to MFP, she burned more cals than I did based on Weight * Time in the same activity.

IF we'd been wearing fitbits, no doubt we'd see different numbers.

Go with what your fitbit says and take MFP as a ballpark estimate.

I wear the Flex.
    It doesn't use anything with heart rate.. just steps..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    So my Fitbit and MFP are synced and I was looking at the 2 side by side and noticed that the calories LEFT are different...
    If I log my food on MFP and I let my FitBit do the adjustments based on my actual recorded activity - shouldn't the numbers be the same if nor closer??

MFP assumes you will be alive at midnight; FitBit does not ;)