Lower carbs and sugar - more fat?

Options
I'm trying to eat as little carbs and sugar as I can without hating myself. Currently I'm consuming between 70-100g carbs and 20-40g sugar daily. But I'm always going over my MFP recommended fat goal of 40g, averaging about 60-80g daily. I'm staying around my 1200 calorie goal, a couple hundred more on workout days.

What should my fat goal be? Is it ok to eat more fat if I'm eating less carbs and sugar?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Yes, otherwise you will be miserable and binge.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you lower carbs you pretty much have to increase fat. Nothing wrong with fat (or carbs, for that matter). Choice within those categories matters more, for nutrition purposes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    There are only three macronutrients: carbohydrates, protein and fat. If you cut down on one of them you'll be eating more of the other two, that's just the way it works. There's really no reason to cut down on carbs unless you have some sort of medical issue, though. Calories in < calories out for weight loss. Anything else is secondary.

If you really want to cut down carbs and the red numbers are bothering you, edit your macro goals to lower your daily goal for them and also raise fat and protein. They always have to total 100%.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. Protein stays pretty steady but fats and carbs are what tends to change.

Choose fattier meats on workout days or just add cheese or butter to your normal foods.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Unless you have specific body building goals, or diagnosed health issues, it's something that can be worried about too much.

There are only 3 macro nutrients to choose from - Protein / Carbohydrate / Fat. Sugar is carbohydrate.

Fat was the bad guy in the 90's. Carbs are the bad guy today. None of these macros in themselves are going to hinder your weight loss. 1200 cal plus eating back exercise calories will mean you lose weight if you are in a deficit. You could achieve 1200 cal today with 8 chicken breasts, and 1200 cal tomorrow with 10 bags of carrots. You'll lose weight - but be bored and won't get the benefits of other vitamins, minerals, fibre from eating a balanced diet.

If you are simply looking to lose fat and be in good health, choose foods that will help you feel full / satisfied and stay within your calorie goals. Adequate protein is recommended as it helps you to feel fuller for longer along with other benefits. Eating complex carbs instead of simple carbs is also recommended for the same reasons. Same deal for fat.
  • adriennevy
    adriennevy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great, this is all good news!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You can adjust your macros so that you don't feel like you are "doing wrong". I have like a 50-60% fat goal each day.....