HELP..No Time or Money for the Gym...

Options
I will be quitting my job in August to pursue my last two years at the University of Oklahoma. What are some things I could do to help me get in shape. I have about 25 lbs to loose. Any suggestions would help. I already know walking, as I can not run it hurts my knees so bad. Thank you for the information.

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Home workouts are awesome. I love fitnessblender.com (all videos are free!) and Jillian Michaels has some great workout DVDs, but a lot of them involve a lot of jumping and might hurt your knees. Her Yoga Meltdown DVD shouldn't bother your knees though.

I saw great results with just Jillian DVDs when I didn't have a gym membership, but of course you need to make sure you are eating right too. Good luck with school!
  • wednesdaypennington
    Options
    get a fitness dvd and do that I don't know your current fitness level but youtube had tons of fitnests dvds on there that you can watcdh for free just search workout dvd then you can at least figure out your current level
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Will you have access to your university's fitness center?
  • OUchic76
    OUchic76 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you ALL so very much. I do have access to my Universitys fitness room but I do not think they want my three year old in there. LOL that is the only problem with that as my mom will be my babysitter, but she works nights so she cant watch him more for me to work out.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone there are loads of fitness apps you can download...I just started you are your own gym, (it's also a book, so if you have a good library....) and essentially you do the workouts at home with only household things like furniture to assist. Only done one day so far, but was only £2 and was a good 35 min workout part of a 10 week program
  • leaellenj
    leaellenj Posts: 38
    Options
    Search Body Rock TV- they have tons of great workout videos. You can also find some great things on YouTube.
    At your local library you can request a variety of workout DVDs through interlibrary loan.

Nike Training Club is a great app that you can use at home with just some dumbbells.

Of course there's also just walking, running, biking, etc.

Working out doesn't have to cost lots of money. And if you can fit in 3-4 10 minute workouts periodically through the day, it's just as beneficial as doing one solid 30 minute workout but it may fit in your schedule better.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Will you have access to your university's fitness center?

nm. saw the response.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Sit ups
    Push ups
    Use YouTube, there are some awesome things on there.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Running, home work out DVDs, pilates, yoga, body weight training.... anything that doesn't require equipment. Which is a lot.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oh! You have a three year old! Let me tell you what I did when my children were smaller, and it's great for you.

Lay on your back and let your child lay against your shins, then take his hands and lift your shins up. Rock him back and forth toward you...away from you...toward you...he will love it and you will have a great core workout.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    As a full-time mom with a full-time job and a 3/4-time course load in graduate school, I find it hard to believe you have no time. I find time to work out at least 6 hours a week most weeks. If you are a college student, your school should have a gym available to students for free or nearly free.

There are multitudes of workout books and videos that you can do at home. The opportunities are as endless as the potential excuses. You can exercise on a regular basis regardless of time or money constraints. Get up 30 minutes earlier, get out of the house for a 30 minute workout after dinner. Maybe your university offers child care that you could use for studying and working out.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you can invest some money into a pullup bar or a suspension trainer you can get all the workouts you will ever need off youtube. Suspension trainer especially. Best fitness tool I ever bought.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i work full time, school part time, i spend time with my family and friends, commute, cook, study, watch tv, play a little video games, do laundry, go grocery shopping, run errands, do chores, etc etc etc.

i still find (make) time to exercise.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Body weight circuits. People show about them on the net for free and some gyms publish free WODs. You could also, if money allows, get a couple cheap items like a skip rope and a kettlebell, maybe even a used TRX. Might not be your favorite thing, but you're going to be poor for a couple years so you'll just have to live with that ;)
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you have cable, you should get the fitness channel for free. If not, do side bends, crunches, jumping jacks, etc... Youtube has a lot of videos. Don't focus on what you can't do. Focus on what you Can do
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Workout DVDs! During the school year, I'm a full time university student, spending most of my time out on placement. The rest of the year, I'm working 2 jobs and saving most of the money for when I'm *not* working. So I have no time or money either.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have an ankle injury and got a stationary bike at a yard sale. It is very low impact for the ankles, but I'm not sure about the knees. I just point it at the TV and get my exercise that way. I always go for at least 15 minutes, sometimes up to 30. I have also tried exercise DVDs from the library.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    you dont need a gym to lose weight though. as long as you diet properly
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bring your child into the workout with you. Jump rope together, play in the yard, go for a bike ride. You don't need to invest in a lot of equipment to get a good workout - just be creative.