Foam Rolling Convert

Options
2»

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I read not to foam roll the ITBand. Instead roll out the surrounding muscles where tightness can actually be released.

I notice a better lifting experience when I foam roll -- more weight, less imbalances, better range of motion... It takes time but worth it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I read not to foam roll the ITBand. Instead roll out the surrounding muscles where tightness can actually be released.

I notice a better lifting experience when I foam roll -- more weight, less imbalances, better range of motion... It takes time but worth it.

I believe this is because some people have weakened IT bands and underactive glutes. In this case, foam rolling this area is not going to fix anything.

In any case, from the education i've received, only the low back should never be foam rolled.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

If you want to get serious about it... you need this lil torture device.

i go to the kids-party-favour section of loonie stores. those little rubber super-bounce balls are like a buck for a pack of 6 and NOTHING cuddles in under the medial border of your shoulderblade and hunts out the trigger points like those little things do. i've tried the lumpy-spiky things, but tbh i prefer something that rolls smoothly against whatever you're leaning on. the glunk-klunk mechanics of the knobby objects kind of spoil it for me.

also, for the horrors that lurk just underneath and behind the collarbone zone . . . i washed out this empty roll-on deodorant bottle. little half-inch rollerball on the end of that is just right. i keep meaning to try and find a refillable version that i can open up and fill with oil or lotion without making a leaky horrible mess.

also, semantic nitpick: 'slightly' painful at 7 out of 10? pssshtt. 'slightly' is anything that's 4 or below. anything over 5 doesn't deserve to get off so lightly.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

If you want to get serious about it... you need this lil torture device.

i go to the kids-party-favour section of loonie stores. those little rubber super-bounce balls are like a buck for a pack of 6 and NOTHING cuddles in under the medial border of your shoulderblade and hunts out the trigger points like those little things do.

also, for the horrors that lurk just underneath and behind the collarbone zone . . . i washed out this empty roll-on deodorant bottle. little half-inch rollerball on the end of that is just right. i keep meaning to try and find a refillable version that i can open up and fill with oil or lotion without making a leaky horrible mess.

also, semantic nitpick: 'slightly' painful at 7 out of 10? pssshtt. 'slightly' is anything that's 4 or below. anything over 5 doesn't deserve to get off so lightly.

hahaha :lol:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I've tried foam-rolling my quads, but it hurts like hell - not in a good way - on the outsides. Any tips?

i had the luck of lifting with a professional massage therapist for a while. never tried to suck free work out of him, but he did give me this one seminal tip: always start out by releasing the attachment and insertion points of a muscle. you can just locate the bone area where they attach and sort of loosen things up all around it - with little finger-tip pushes inwards towards the center of the bone lump. then go to work on the 'belly'. i've learned more muscular anatomy since i started lifting . . .

and with quads: try releasing from the edges inwards first before you dive in with the big long strokes. like when you were a little kid with a colouring book and you'd do that thing of starting at the outline and then moving towards the middle. 'colour in' the whole outline of the muscle with little pushy cross-pokes across the grain of the fibres to free it up a little and just get it moving. THEN start to move in and do the long stuff that goes with the fibres.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have two different kinds of arthritis and the muscles around my joints are always stiff when I wake up in the morning. I start my day with static stretching and foam rolling. Every morning before my run. And then again after. It has made such a huge difference in my life. I was convinced that I'd never be able to run as much as I do, and foam rolling my hip flexors daily has changed my life.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is great but you should also have a look at "The Stick". The same way that foam rollers come in different densities there are a variety of models of "The Stick" with varying degrees of stiffness.....for those time that rolling doesn't quite do it you can use the stick (or have your partner get those hard to reach spots)

kipwmdte1ic7.jpg

WHY ARE PEOPLE IGNORING THIS UNDERRATED POST????
  • rainbowbow
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Foam rolling is great but you should also have a look at "The Stick". The same way that foam rollers come in different densities there are a variety of models of "The Stick" with varying degrees of stiffness.....for those time that rolling doesn't quite do it you can use the stick (or have your partner get those hard to reach spots)

kipwmdte1ic7.jpg

i don't think anyone ignored it. I even recommended a massage stick in the very next post...Also, massage sticks have a fatal flaw.... unless you have a partner than can only be used on the lower body.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

kipwmdte1ic7.jpg

i don't think anyone ignored it. I even recommended a massage stick in the very next post...

I don't think you read the post with the proper state of mind.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

kipwmdte1ic7.jpg

i don't think anyone ignored it. I even recommended a massage stick in the very next post...

I don't think you read the post with the proper state of mind.

:flushed:
  • rileyes
    Options

I believe this is because some people have weakened IT bands and underactive glutes. In this case, foam rolling this area is not going to fix anything.

In any case, from the education i've received, only the low back should never be foam rolled.

This may help to understand the ITBand better:
    http://asmwellness.com/dont-foam-roll-your-it-band/

• rainbowbow
    Options

I understand the ITBand. He recommends that if foam rolling the ITBand isn't helping, to foam roll the surrounding muscles. Which I already do (namely the TFL and glutes).

• rileyes
    Options

I understand the ITBand. He recommends that if foam rolling the ITBand isn't helping, to foam roll the surrounding muscles. Which I already do (namely the TFL and glutes).

Below is an excerpt from the article:

"The Function of the IT Band

The IT band is pretty much just tendon. It doesn’t do any contracting – it transfers the contractile forces of the muscles that feed into it. Those muscles are the tensor fascia latae (TFL) and gluteus medius and maximus (see illustration). Foam rolling will not prompt significant release of the tension in the IT band.The trick is to focus on the muscles that pull on the IT band and give it its tension. As those muscles tighten and pull on the IT band, the IT band is pulled taut against quadricep muscle (vastus lateralis). Eventually, the IT band can get stuck to the quadricep by way of their connective tissue becoming intertwined."

Massaging surrounding muscle seems to promote better function and mobility than massaging a structurally rigid tendon.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Below is an excerpt from the article:

"The Function of the IT Band

The IT band is pretty much just tendon. It doesn’t do any contracting – it transfers the contractile forces of the muscles that feed into it. Those muscles are the tensor fascia latae (TFL) and gluteus medius and maximus (see illustration). Foam rolling will not prompt significant release of the tension in the IT band.The trick is to focus on the muscles that pull on the IT band and give it its tension. As those muscles tighten and pull on the IT band, the IT band is pulled taut against quadricep muscle (vastus lateralis). Eventually, the IT band can get stuck to the quadricep by way of their connective tissue becoming intertwined."

Massaging surrounding muscle seems to promote better function and mobility than massaging a structurally rigid tendon.

oh, certainly. But that doesn't mean that foam rolling the IT band is harmful or even unnecessary.

Also from your article:
    " As those muscles tighten and pull on the IT band, the IT band is pulled taut against quadricep muscle (vastus lateralis). Eventually, the IT band can get stuck to the quadricep by way of their connective tissue becoming intertwined.

What I propose: getting the IT band unstuck from the underlying muscle and fascia, through massage, in addition to releasing the glutes and TFL through massage or foam rolling. This has proven to be highly effective for my clients with IT band issues. So, if you are having IT band issues, and if foam rolling directly on the IT band hasn’t been helping, use the video below as a visual guide for how to get that foam roller into your TFL and Glutes effectively. "

As stated, I already foam roll the TFL and Glutes, rolling the IT Band is not harmful in addition to these. The fact of the matter is... the largest quadriceps muscle (the vastus lateralis) runs right under and along the IT band. If nothing else, neglecting this area is unhelpful for that. If you don't want to call it "foam rolling the ITBand" you can just say "i'm foam rolling my quads" while literally rolling the same area.

shutterstock124562680new.jpg

To be clear, he is not stating that foam rolling the IT band is harmful, he is stating that if you believe you have IT Band pain that releasing the surrounding muscles help and are often more effective. I am not denying this.

http://blog.nasm.org/fitness/it-band-syndrome-cause-and-solution-2/

Atleast according to NASM (whom both he and I are both certified through by the way) dealing with IT Band syndrome should be a comprehensive approach rolling the TFL, Glutes, IT Band, strengthening the posterior tibialis (if foot compensations are identified) , the gluteus medius , and gluteus maximus.
  • rileyes
    Options
    I think it is safe to say that massaging the surrounding muscles of the ITB is best. So massage the glutes (another discussion), TFL, quads, hams, gastrocnemius... to better release tension on the ITB.

The article made a couple good points and is worth a reread.