Gaining every week now

Options

Replies

• rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I take 125mcg levothyroxine daily and have slowly but steadily through monitoring food intake and regular exercise lost 9kg (20llbs) doubt it is your drugs
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    between 1500- and 1600 a day

which, if you stopped losing weight a year ago, is your maintenance?

at 16 stone 1600 is my maintenance?

my tdee says 2300?

my tdee says 2300?

I'm just going by what you've said. you havent lost weight since last year, and you eat 1600 cals per day?

yes its strange.. its why i was tested for my thyroid in the first place, as ive already lost 5 stone ( well 4 now) i was doing everything right so i couldnt understand it. the bloods came back with a tsh of 5.8 and they stuck me on levothyroxine. since the pills ive gained a stone. this past year i was able to lose but then gain, lose again then gain again, but now im on the pills ive consistently gained.

so 1600 is maintenance... try eating 1350 plus any extra exercise you can do.

I am in agreement with this.

edited my post: if you are feeling alright now on the medication, and have the energy to get back to being active again too, what @GottaBurnEmAll said.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Please don't stop taking your levothyroxine, if anything, it would be helping you lose weight, not gain weight.

You said you were maintaining on your 1600 calorie intake with exercise and have stopped exercising and started putting weight back on and are wondering why?

I think that's your answer right there.

While your thyroid might need adjusting, so does your activity level.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've always been sedentary and never eaten exercise cals so it didn't effect me when I stopped exercising. I struggle for time now as I've started college I'm a mother of 2 and I work full time so as you can see I'm a bit busy.

So maybe rosnz I need to up my dosage?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Note: I don't have hypothyroidism, so I may be blowing smoke.

From what I've read from people who do have hypothyroidism (and other auto-immune diseases), what they have for calories out can be significantly LESS than what online calculators say is their TDEE. OP says TDEE is 2300, but it's very possible OP's body isn't burning 2300. If OP isn't losing weight on 1600, then her TDEE is less than 1600, probably much less since OP's gained a stone in a year.

IDK how long you've been on your meds, but maybe your body just hasn't balanced out the hormones yet to affect weight loss? I hope you get this figured out.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

my tdee says 2300?

Unless you've actually done metabolic tests to have it measured, the TDEE calculators that you find online are very generic and only assume average/normal populations. You are not average/normal if you are hypothyroid.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing your food and using correct entries. I doubt it's the levo causing your weight gain. Don't up your dose. It's not a weight loss drug and in too high of a dose can cause cardiac problems.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

my tdee says 2300?

I'm just going by what you've said. you havent lost weight since last year, and you eat 1600 cals per day?

yes its strange.. its why i was tested for my thyroid in the first place, as ive already lost 5 stone ( well 4 now) i was doing everything right so i couldnt understand it. the bloods came back with a tsh of 5.8 and they stuck me on levothyroxine. since the pills ive gained a stone. this past year i was able to lose but then gain, lose again then gain again, but now im on the pills ive consistently gained.

First off, a tsh of 5.8 is horrible. Most functional medicine doctors will tell you that a person will not feel good with a tsh over 1.5 much less be able to lose weight at a decent rate.

Second, synthroid is not effective for a lot of people bc it only addresses t4. The problem is if your body is not efficient at converting t4 to t3 then you can take very high doses of it and get no change in actual active thyroid hormone. I would push your doctor to get you on both a t3 and t4 med (either armour or add cytomel to the levoxy) and increase the dose to get you to a max 1.5 tsh.

I know right where you're at. I was gaining 20#'s a month and freaking out before a decent doctor figured this all out. Again, I would look at the sttm website and get some numbers guidance to take to your doctor. Your FREE t3 and free t4 should be in the upper 1/3 of the lab range. If they are lower then that you are going to struggle. Just getting t4 and t3 checked won't tell you anything. You need to check your FREE t3 and free t4.

Hopefully you're appt goes well and you have a competent enough doctor to get this right (you'd be surprised how many are worthless in this area).
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you previously exercised and did NOT eat the exercise calories (that were increasing your calories expended), that definitely affects you when you stop.

You might have thought it was a bonus, when in reality it was the only thing between a maintenance level of calories and gaining.

People with thyroid issues can't necessarily use the standard TDEE calculator because their bodies aren't functioning in an average way. If you have a below average TDEE, plus some inaccuracies in your calories in (most people do), plus reduced calories out due to your new schedule, all these things add up.

Your doctor should be looking at blood test results to adjust your dosage.

• RoxieDawn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've always been sedentary and never eaten exercise cals so it didn't effect me when I stopped exercising. I struggle for time now as I've started college I'm a mother of 2 and I work full time so as you can see I'm a bit busy.

So maybe rosnz I need to up my dosage?

I would not consider just upping your dosage based on a posters experience or what they are taking in the same form of medication as yourself. .

Keep your doctor appointment today and discuss this with him/her.

I am a afraid that you are believing with your whole heart that your medication is the primary cause of what is happening with your weight loss. There are several variables including your activity, calories and your medication (but this should be helping your metabolism not hindering it), and you should continue to seek the guidance and supervision of you docs.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    no i stopped losing weight a year ago. i have gained a stone and a half since July.. i know exactly what im putting in my mouth, i eat 1600 calories to lose 1.5 lbs a week., i did exercise but with looking after 2 girls/college/full time job its getting harder.
    i know deep down in my gut its not me, it has to be the pills. i have a doctors appointment at 11.30.

Also, utilize your pharmacist. Doctors are diagnosticians primarily but pharmacists can help your doctor with prescribing a more appropriate med or dosage. (I only know this because my friend is a pharmacist and talking with her I have realized that pharmacists are tragically under utilized.) Good luck!
  • leahcollett1
    Options

my tdee says 2300?

First off, a tsh of 5.8 is horrible. Most functional medicine doctors will tell you that a person will not feel good with a tsh over 1.5 much less be able to lose weight at a decent rate.

Second, synthroid is not effective for a lot of people bc it only addresses t4. The problem is if your body is not efficient at converting t4 to t3 then you can take very high doses of it and get no change in actual active thyroid hormone. I would push your doctor to get you on both a t3 and t4 med (either armour or add cytomel to the levoxy) and increase the dose to get you to a max 1.5 tsh.

I know right where you're at. I was gaining 20#'s a month and freaking out before a decent doctor figured this all out. Again, I would look at the sttm website and get some numbers guidance to take to your doctor. Your FREE t3 and free t4 should be in the upper 1/3 of the lab range. If they are lower then that you are going to struggle. Just getting t4 and t3 checked won't tell you anything. You need to check your FREE t3 and free t4.

Hopefully you're appt goes well and you have a competent enough doctor to get this right (you'd be surprised how many are worthless in this area).

dam i wish i knew this before this morning i have just been for my bloods today and on the form it just states t3 and t4.
    im in the uk, and ive heard that we are not licensed for t3 here, does anybody know whether thats true? my doctor has just told me to be patient that it takes a while for the levo to work. that she will look at my bloody tests on monday and adjust accordingly. so mean while i have to either have a diet of 1200 ( which at the moment for me is really hard) or just accept the weight gain.
    whats scaring the living crap out of me is just getting to 20 stone again. i dont want to be that girl and at 16 stone im marginally heading towards it at a bloody fast pace, at a stone every 8 weeks.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've been on levothyroxine since beginning of August. To treat thyroid. I have gained every week since despite counting calories and weighing everything. I lost 5 stone before now nothing. I'm now back to 16 stone.

I'm thinking of stopping my Meds I know for a fact it's them as I've never gained every week before

I'm taking 50mg of levo

Okay .... so go see your doctor and discuss with them, NO ONE ON HERE KNOWS YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY!!!

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

my tdee says 2300?

dam i wish i knew this before this morning i have just been for my bloods today and on the form it just states t3 and t4.
    im in the uk, and ive heard that we are not licensed for t3 here, does anybody know whether thats true? my doctor has just told me to be patient that it takes a while for the levo to work. that she will look at my bloody tests on monday and adjust accordingly. so mean while i have to either have a diet of 1200 ( which at the moment for me is really hard) or just accept the weight gain.
    whats scaring the living crap out of me is just getting to 20 stone again. i dont want to be that girl and at 16 stone im marginally heading towards it at a bloody fast pace, at a stone every 8 weeks.

given your stats, why not try 1350, as i suggested, and try and find time for some exercise to increase that number a bit more.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

my tdee says 2300?

I mentioned this on the other thread you had about your thyroid but it probably got lost in the mix. Nonetheless, if your doctor won't do this over the phone you'll have to make some eating adjustments until you can get this fixed. Your dose of levoxy is actually fairly low but I suspect the issue is t4 to t3 conversion and not enough meds. 200-400mcg of selenium can help the conversion issue. I still have to take 400mcg of selenium a day even on armour b/c I have pituitary damage that doesn't help my conversion issues be any easier. UK can do T3 b/c I have at least one friend there that does it. It's a matter of finding a doctor that BELIEVES that could be the issue. It's hard here even to find a good doctor that gets all this. I went through 3 or 4 endos before I finally found a decent family doctor that knew what he was doing and would listen to me. It can be very frustrating! Hang in there. Advocate for yourself as best you can. I've just learned to tell doctors what they're going to do, not the other way around. If they don't like it, I literally tell them I'll take my money elsewhere and that usually makes a difference. Although in the UK, that may not work. :/
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your calories elsewhere? Because your diary looks blank to me on here....
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

my tdee says 2300?

OP, you are not gonna be the girl at 16 stone.. Can you be patient for a while longer? NO need to keep stressing yourself out over this until the doctor calls back?

You can do something now in regards to your concerns while the doctors work on your medical history and reviewing your tests.. till then try the suggestions given.. Its all good advice..

Doctor already stated that it takes time to get get the medication working. I am of very little knowledge on the medication, but I have had low t4 before and it takes time to get your blood panels back to normal.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    yes sorry i count calories on another website called weight loss resources.co.,uk. its a uk based website.
    thanks everyone for your replies. its the feeling of not being in control that frightens me,
    i will try to reduce my calories to 1350 and see if that helps. although i find i do get hungry
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    yes sorry i count calories on another website called weight loss resources.co.,uk. its a uk based website.
    thanks everyone for your replies. its the feeling of not being in control that frightens me,
    i will try to reduce my calories to 1350 and see if that helps. although i find i do get hungry

Do you log every day on that other website? I'm perplexed why you would log 2.5 days here this month if you are logging elsewhere as well.

On the days you did log here, (Sep 1 & 16) I noticed you were short on your Fiber goal. Try reaching that and seeing if that helps with satiety. Also, your fat target and consumption is very low. Fat is important for satiety as well. Try tweaking your macros to include more fat. Making these changes might help you eat less calories for the same amount of fullness.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    ok, thanks - yea i sometimes enter calories on both to compare - im trying to decide which is a better site for me thats all. that is very interesting because i ate something full of fat earlier ( unlike me) and funny enough didnt think about food until 2pm again not like me at all. i was surprised that my belly wasn't gurgling at me. thats really interesting point.