Question about calorie intake for weight loss

Options
I've been taking in 1200 cal a day (very little, if anything processed or manufactured) I always cook for myself, I watch my Sodium and sugar, and I've recently started exercising over the past month. I am walking one and a half to 2 miles before work every morning and I try to stay active all day & considering I have desk job, most of the time that means getting up and walking around the building a few times if possible. I have a jawbone tracker and I noticed that I get calories taken away every day if I don't meet a specific number of steps. I'm averaging out about 6000 steps a day I'm working towards 10,000. It seems my weight-loss has stalled and from what I'm reading on these boards I think 1200 calories may be too low, especially with the calorie deficit.

Ive lost almost 50 lbs doing this but I haven't lost anything in a month and a half. I will lose 2 pounds and gainback two pounds week after week and I feel like I'm striving toward a calorie goal that's not healthy

Does anybody have any recommendations or advice for me?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your current height and weight?
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your food intake? Do you weigh all your food, or do you use measuring cups? Do you eat back exercise calories? If so, how do you arrive at the number of calories burned?
  • LAC73167
    LAC73167 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do weigh everything - I use a digital scale and measuring cups and (measuring spoons ha ha) and I eat every single calorie that's afforded to me -if I end up earning exercise calories yes I do eat them
  • LAC73167
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What are your current height and weight?

5'3". 190
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I follow a low carb, high fat (ketogenic) lifestyle. Have done so for the past few years with great success in terms of weight loss. Couple of thoughts on what you've posted.
    a) yes, you're not eating enough!
    b) don't eat back exercise calories - it defeats the purpose of exercise to a large degree
    I used a ketogenic calculator and based on the info provided the results where as follows:
    For a moderate calorie deficit (24%) you need to be eating 1469 calories.
    The macros are as follows:
    Carbs, 20 grams, 80 calories, 5%
    Protein, 88 grams, 352 calories, 24%
    Fat, 115 grams, 1036 calories, 71%
    If you're interested in looking at this eating style there are a number of really good sites.
    http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy
    https://www.dietdoctor.com
    http://www.ruled.me
    Wishing you all the best on your continued weight-loss journey.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    DEBOO7 wrote: »
    Hi there... I follow a low carb, high fat (ketogenic) lifestyle. Have done so for the past few years with great success in terms of weight loss. Couple of thoughts on what you've posted.
    a) yes, you're not eating enough!
    b) don't eat back exercise calories - it defeats the purpose of exercise to a large degree
    I used a ketogenic calculator and based on the info provided the results where as follows:
    For a moderate calorie deficit (24%) you need to be eating 1469 calories.
    The macros are as follows:
    Carbs, 20 grams, 80 calories, 5%
    Protein, 88 grams, 352 calories, 24%
    Fat, 115 grams, 1036 calories, 71%
    If you're interested in looking at this eating style there are a number of really good sites.
    http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy
    https://www.dietdoctor.com
    http://www.ruled.me
    Wishing you all the best on your continued weight-loss journey.

Thanks! I'm going to check this out! it seems interesting
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    "I walk 1.5-2.5 miles every morning and try to stay active throughout the day" and "I average about 6,000 steps per day" seems like it may not add up to me. Its hard to say without following you around all day, but myself (5.6 ft woman) I average about 2,000 steps per mile, so would be up to 3-40000 after the morning walk you describe, and its pretty tough for me to get less than 4000 steps a day if I have to do anything (go to work, grocery shop, chores around the house).

You may be correct, but it seems like maybe your calories out could be where you need to look for accuracy.

As for a calorie goal- age, height, current weight, goal weight would all be useful information if you want advice on that. It seems like most people should be able to lose if they are accurately intaking 1200 calories, but size and age definitely factor into that.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I ran your current stats using current weight and you have a BMR of approx 1460. And as a sedentary person (I did not know your activity level so I used this) your TDEE at your age, height and current weight that is appox 1750.

to lose 10% of your weight a week, you need approx 1570. to lose 20% you need approx 1402.. You see the difference in the these numbers compared to the 1200 you are doing now?

You have been losing at a pretty aggressive deficit, and I presume you told MFP 2 pounds per week and sedentary?

Its time to rethink your calorie deficit and perhaps increase your activity. You have not stalled per se, but your weight loss has slowed down greatly and most like masked on the scale in the form of water retention, due to a host of variables like too lowish calorie in take, female hormones, hydration or lack there off, perhaps some added stress because you are not losing, etc.

Can you redo your calorie goal in MFP to a slower rate of loss per week now that you are smaller in weight now and try to get out of this 1200 calories per day and increase your activity level some?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 days into my fitness weightless plan.. and just now seeing the difference. Stick with it.. and all of a sudden it will happen. Last week i was discouraged. and just kept with it.. not letting myself fail. All of a sudden I'm a size smaller and my clothes are getting loose.. It is almost like it happened overnight.

Also. .I've been out of shape for a long time.. give you body time to adjust.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    "I walk 1.5-2.5 miles every morning and try to stay active throughout the day" and "I average about 6,000 steps per day" seems like it may not add up to me. Its hard to say without following you around all day, but myself (5.6 ft woman) I average about 2,000 steps per mile, so would be up to 3-40000 after the morning walk you describe, and its pretty tough for me to get less than 4000 steps a day if I have to do anything (go to work, grocery shop, chores around the house).

You may be correct, but it seems like maybe your calories out could be where you need to look for accuracy.

As for a calorie goal- age, height, current weight, goal weight would all be useful information if you want advice on that. It seems like most people should be able to lose if they are accurately intaking 1200 calories, but size and age definitely factor into that.

You're correct most of my steps are done in the morning and that's why I do it every morning. I sit at a desk 90% of the day except for my lunch hour and breaks by time I get home the little bit of running around to do I probably do an additional 2000 steps throughout the whole day. I'm 5'3 and I do about 2000 steps per mile so your numbers make sense.

I'm working on upping my steps little by little. I've been out of shape for so long that it's taking me a little time.

• LAC73167
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I ran your current stats using current weight and you have a BMR of approx 1460. And as a sedentary person (I did not know your activity level so I used this) your TDEE at your age, height and current weight that is appox 1750.

to lose 10% of your weight a week, you need approx 1570. to lose 20% you need approx 1402.. You see the difference in the these numbers compared to the 1200 you are doing now?

You have been losing at a pretty aggressive deficit, and I presume you told MFP 2 pounds per week and sedentary?

Its time to rethink your calorie deficit and perhaps increase your activity. You have not stalled per se, but your weight loss has slowed down greatly and most like masked on the scale in the form of water retention, due to a host of variables like too lowish calorie in take, female hormones, hydration or lack there off, perhaps some added stress because you are not losing, etc.

Can you redo your calorie goal in MFP to a slower rate of loss per week now that you are smaller in weight now and try to get out of this 1200 calories per day and increase your activity level some?

Before I could reply I had to look up TDEE and BMR!

This is all great and useful information and I really appreciate what you did by going in researching it for me! I'm gonna look into this today thanks again
  • LAC73167
    Options
    I'm 52 days into my fitness weightless plan.. and just now seeing the difference. Stick with it.. and all of a sudden it will happen. Last week i was discouraged. and just kept with it.. not letting myself fail. All of a sudden I'm a size smaller and my clothes are getting loose.. It is almost like it happened overnight.

Also. .I've been out of shape for a long time.. give you body time to adjust.

Thanks! I love to see a massive shift happen! But I don't think it's going to unless I change something!
  • LAC73167
    Options
    Thanks!
  • LAC73167
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Changed my settings from to losing 1 lb per week (it was 2) and from lightly active to active - new calorie goal is 1580. - I can live with that!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    LAC73167 wrote: »
    Changed my settings from to losing 1 lb per week (it was 2) and from lightly active to active - new calorie goal is 1580. - I can live with that!

If you find there are issues with this calorie goal, you are in a good place to adjust downward in your activity level if needed. So for example If your actual activities (day to day are less) and your weight trend at 1 pound per week is not in line with this active setting (which it may not be) adjust this back down.

This is good stuff!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    You've lost 50 pounds, so you clearly know what you're doing and are doing it right!! The last bit is soooooo much harder and takes longer. Be patient and keep the faith. Continue to bump up activity as much as you can. Get plenty of sleep and water. MOST important, don't get frustrated a give up -- or worse yet backtrack. FIGHT to keep that 50 off and eventually you will break through and hit your goal.
  • LAC73167
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    You've lost 50 pounds, so you clearly know what you're doing and are doing it right!! The last bit is soooooo much harder and takes longer. Be patient and keep the faith. Continue to bump up activity as much as you can. Get plenty of sleep and water. MOST important, don't get frustrated a give up -- or worse yet backtrack. FIGHT to keep that 50 off and eventually you will break through and hit your goal.

Thank you!
  • LAC73167
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    LAC73167 wrote: »

If you find there are issues with this calorie goal, you are in a good place to adjust downward in your activity level if needed. So for example If your actual activities (day to day are less) and your weight trend at 1 pound per week is not in line with this active setting (which it may not be) adjust this back down.

This is good stuff!

I'm learning stuff here!!
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    How many calories is your jawbone giving you, say for a mile's walking?

I keep pointing people to this article which changed my relationship with exercise calculators/ trackers which are all wrong, wrong, wrong:

http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn