Why is 60g oats so much?!

Hi all,

I'm following Kayla Itsines app diet plan, and it says 60g oats for porridge in the food section. When I measure out 60g oats in my kitchen scales it is SO MUCH! It basically fills the bowl - I've started just doing half a mug of oats but even that is quite a lot. The pre-packaged porridge pots are 57g and there's hardly anything in there... so I must be doing something right. I'm going mad because the scales say 60g... anyone else know what I'm doing wrong? Sorry for such a stupid post!

Replies

• Havamal71
    Havamal71 Posts: 19 Member
    Check and see if it is referring to 60g wet or dry...
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Are the prepackaged ones flavored? If so, much of the weight is from the sugar in there.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    60g should be something like 3/4 cup. If you measure out 60g then put that in a measuring cup, how much is it?

I hope your scales aren't going wonky!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    60g of dry oats is about 1.5 servings and there is not much moisture in it until you cook it and will also have a lot of air between the flakes (assume rolled oats here). The 57g prepackaged oats have more moisture and probably sugar as well plush is has less air that adds extra volume.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Do you mean it looks like so much?

I normally use 40 grams of oats. It seems like a sufficient amount but not "so much." Last week I decided to make my overnight oats with 60 grams, which meant I needed to add more milk, and by the time I added fruit and protein powder and almonds and let it sit overnight, it was too much for me.
  • alves_patricia
    alves_patricia Posts: 16 Member
    I did 100 g of oats Monday and used a ton of water to make it more voluminous :open_mouth: 60 g is not a lot !
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I did 100 g of oats Monday and used a ton of water to make it more voluminous :open_mouth: 60 g is not a lot !

Do you eat just oats at that meal? Once cooked, 100 grams of dried oats would be way too much for me.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    I use 30g of oats with 1/2 cup of almond milk and a splash of water. 60g would be too much for me.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    When I measure out a half cup of dry oats then toss them onto the scale it comes out to 60 grams. That's a good amount for a filling breakfast but I wouldn't describe it as even remotely close to way too much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I agree! I have oats for dessert, and have a minimum of 80g, plus milk, protein powder and chia seeds.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    If you do not like oats, you have the option to eat something else.