First week of exercising

Options
How often does everyone workout,is everyday too much?my first day at gym left me a bit sore but I found the 2nd session helped ease pain in arms,I'm coping fine so far with exercise I'm doing each day,just wondering what other ppls thoughts are

Replies

• huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    It's okay to be a bit sore in the beginning, because you're waking up muscles that you don't usually use or push for more exertion.

It's good that you continued with a 2nd work-out.
    The warmth of the muscles usually help loosen up my tight muscles/DOMs.

It depends on your goals and your fitness level and the time you have available.

I can't "work-out" everyday, but I usually try to do something everyday, may it be walk my dog or dance in the house.
    My goals are to lose body fat and weight, and be able to do unassisted pull-ups.
    I try to strength train 2-3 times a week, switching between SL 5x5 and KB and some rowing.
    I know I should stick to some program, but I'm busy and I got bored with just SL when I did it for a year.
    Other 3 days, I farm or go hiking/biking/Zumba or take long walks.
    My body needs 2 rest days. I'm old (43).

What kinds of exercise do you do?

Amanda

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I strength train 4 time s a week but infrequently have other exercise sessions (walks, runs, swimming, cycling) through the week.

Personally i wold say that everyday is too much - rest is important psychologically and to prevent injury, especially when on reduced calories.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I typically exercise 6 days a week. I run 5 days, strength train 3 to 4 days, do 1 day of non running cardio, and yoga about 3 to 5 days. If you haven't tried yoga, I highly recommend it. It helps tremendously with muscle soreness. I have some 20 to 30 minute videos that I do at home. Yesterday, I ran 4 miles doing some speed training before work, then had Body Pump class after work. I did a 20 minute yoga video before bed, and I feel great today. If I didn't do that viseo, I'd hardly be able to walk.
  • suzymum1985
    suzymum1985 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    It's okay to be a bit sore in the beginning, because you're waking up muscles that you don't usually use or push for more exertion.

It's good that you continued with a 2nd work-out.
    The warmth of the muscles usually help loosen up my tight muscles/DOMs.

It depends on your goals and your fitness level and the time you have available.

I can't "work-out" everyday, but I usually try to do something everyday, may it be walk my dog or dance in the house.
    My goals are to lose body fat and weight, and be able to do unassisted pull-ups.
    I try to strength train 2-3 times a week, switching between SL 5x5 and KB and some rowing.
    I know I should stick to some program, but I'm busy and I got bored with just SL when I did it for a year.
    Other 3 days, I farm or go hiking/biking/Zumba or take long walks.
    My body needs 2 rest days. I'm old (43).

What kinds of exercise do you do?

Amanda

• lena2591
    lena2591 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to do cardio (walking is my cardio of choice right now) 5x a week, leaving me 2 days off. I also incorporate weights 4 days a week and squats/planks/sit-ups everyday. It sounds like a lot but I started slow and worked my way up and hopefully will continue to do so.

Keep up the exercising, remember there are things to do right in your home or a quick walk or stairs to climb :) Soon enough you'll see results
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you define as a workout. I see some people at the gym that are doing incredibly intense workouts that probably aren't recommended as a daily thing. Others are doing more moderate workouts that really are mainly cardio looking to help them burn calories.

If you are lifting you want to give your muscles days to recover and rebuild. If it is cardio it can depend on the intensity, but doing some cardio every day if it is your main form of exercise really isn't that bad. You don't have to work out every day and if your body starts acting too tired a day or two of rest may be a good thing. I don't see why if it is a cardio workout you can't go daily.. or do cardio some days and weight lifting others.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I try to go at least twice a week but my goal is 3 days a week. Eventually I'd like to add cardio on my off days, but it might be a month or so before I'm ready to do that.
  • ChubRub93
    ChubRub93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We're also just starting out (my aunt and I are taking kickboxing together) so we're starting with three days a week- monday, wednesday, and Saturday. If it weren't for scheduling and how far away the gym is from work we'd like to at least add another day to that.