need some advise on will power! please

Options
I have been doing good so far but everytime i pass a culvers i end up getting an ice cream even if i tell my self not to stop! grrr i need to find that will power and am even thinking about finding a different way home from work just to avoid it but that doesn't solve my will power issues! I think i just need some support and some advise on how to find that will power any suggestions or advise is Greatly wanted!

Replies

• waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I thinking finding another route home might help. But why don't you plan the ice cream as a treat after giving it up for an entire week or two? Or stock up on some lower calorie/lower fat/lower carb brand of ice cream like Skinny Cow mini fudge bars (50 calories in 1 pop) and plan for it?
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    " LACK OF WILL POWER HAS CAUSED MORE FAILURE THAN LACK OF INTELLIGENCE OR ABILITY "
    ~Flower A. Newhouse~

I have this laminated and posted right on my fridge. My willpower is awful sometimes, but once I get obsessed with something, I am determined. I once went 14 YEARS without eating chocolate.(I KNOW, right?):flowerforyou: After a while I never missed it. Until my wedding day and I had chocolate wedding cake for my chocoholic new husband!!) Can you try the Skinny Cow novelty ice creams? They really are YUMMY! Don't worry! There will come a moment when you will "OWN" this new lifestyle and you won't let ANYONE sabotage your efforts (not even yourself!) Good luck, and add me as a cheerleader!
    Donna
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I never deprive myself from craving because I know that I will end up eating other stuff that I think is better than my craving and it still doesn't satisfy it................I try to eat sweets and everything else that I crave in moderation. For example, I love love love chocolate. So I buy my favorite kind, which is kinda expensive and then have just one if I have a craving. I never eat something to substitute for my craving because it never satisfies it. Its all about moderation and serving size.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a super sweet tooth so I try to satisfy it in a more healthy way, since your weakness seems to be ice cream, maybe keep some frozen yogurt with a lower calorie count in the freezer at home. That way you still feel that you are getting the treat but it is not as big of an impact on your health. It is all about baby steps and making small changes and then building upon them.

Good luck!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I agree - allow yourself a ice cream type treat like Skinny Cow. When you pass say I will wait until I get home!
  • pastancil
    pastancil Posts: 10
    Options
    Best advice I got from this site was to buy the book called The End of Overeating. I think the author is David Kessler, M. D. He really explains how the brain is working when we crave someting. It all makes such perfect sense now. Book is kinda dry at first, and sort of "clinical", but I waded through it all and it set me on the right path for sure. Good Luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving for something I know I shouldn't have...I try to resist it and if I can't, I try to find an alternative. I keep a bag of semi-sweet real chocolate chips in the freezer at work and if I get a sweet craving, I'll eat 5 or 6 and it takes care of it. Also, I got some honey roasted peanuts and those worked earlier. :)

With ice cream...if I'm at home and get a craving, instead of spending $2 on a pint of ice cream (and close to 800 calories), I drive a little further and get some frozen yogurt with fruit (about 300 calories and MUCH better for you) and that usually curbs my craving.
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    and a bonus to having the ice cream at home...you'll save money!
  • Fit4Life05
    Fit4Life05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... O willpower, willpower, wherefore art thou willpower. Seriously though, why is it there some of the time and not all of the time? I have a major addiction to ice-cream too....a love affair that I had to kick to the curb! It was very difficult, and Ben and Jerry still call me every once in awhile, but I had to make the switch to frozen yogurt. Now I'm not sure if you have a golden spoon near you or not, but it is the ultimate indulgence for me now. Low cal and no fat = NO GUILT!!! You can find frozen yogurt at the grocery store too. If that doesn't help, try brushing your teeth or popping a piece of gum in your mouth before you leave for home. Also, when I have a really bad sweet tooth I take 1 tsp of organic raw honey to keep me from eating every sweet thing in the pantry. It doesn't help every time, but it's a great all natural treat when you need a fix! I hope that helps...keep up the good work! You'll get there!
  • KittyKattMeow
    Options
    Something has has worked for me; EVERY TIME you want something that you know you should not have, tell yourself "that's 10 pounds." I did this with butter and cheese and it helped a TON. If you don't eat it, then that is a lot of calories every time you are craving that you are eliminating. You can do it!
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Skinny Cow? It's only 130 calories? Much easier on the diet too. Even Frozen Yogart is very good and lower cal than normal icecream. Don't beat yourself up. Everyone needs a "diet" break. It's okay :flowerforyou:
  • KittyKattMeow
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this and not use to keeping track of everything I eat. This will be an adjustment. I'm still trying to figure out how to add my workout to my exercise list. I am not finding this as user friendly as I had hoped.
  • Fit4Life05
    Fit4Life05 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm new too...it gets easier. I like to think of it as weight watchers meets facebook, lol. You have to view the food tracking like a game. It's like anything new, in the beginning it's a little intimidating but once you get the hang of it, its really fun. Just don't beat yourself up if you miss a day or forget to add something because you'll get burned out! Good luck and have fun with it!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Sometimes substitutions work for me (ice cream definitely does - I don't feel deprived if I have Skinny Cow, etc. instead of full fat) but sometimes it really, really doesn't. Yoghurt being a prime example - I absolutely hate runny, aspertame ridden low fat/low cal. So for me, if I can make a substitution that satisfies me I will but if there's any chance that it's just going to make me crave the real thing, I have a small portion of the real thing in the first place.

I also try to remove temptation if it's something I truly have a problem with overeating - I'm a savoury/crunchy craving kind of a girl, so I don't keep any crisps in the house and I don't buy big bags of nuts, etc. Instead I go out and get a small portion if the craving truly persists. I say that because sometimes I want something just because I want it - not because I'm hungry. So I try to wait, think about why I want what I want, think about how I'm feeling (I'm a bored or stressed eater), and think about the consequence (e.g. how have I done with my calories so far today) before I eat.
  • uvlocagrl
    uvlocagrl Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advise i will try the frozen yougurt and the skinny cow!!! thank you thank you thank you! believe me it helped me make it through yesterday and i feel great about today!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have a skinny cow almost everyday, but I plan for it as it seems to be the perfect ending to me being good, LOL. I think mini anythings are great. As long as you stop at one mini. there is nothing I won't eat, but I won't eat a lot of most things. Well...... you couldn't get me to eat liver and onions:frown: :sick:
  • thinkthinjen
    Options
    I sometimes drive thru McDonalds and get their small vanilla cone. It's low fat soft serve and only 150 calories. It usually takes care of my craving! I agree with Skinny Cow...delicious! I like some of the Weight Watcher bars too!