Eat a late breakfast - Good advice?

Options
Hi All-
Is there any credence to the advice to eat a late breakfast and shorten my eating window? This would supposedly push my metabolism into fat-burning mode. I currently eat breakfast around 7am after exercising on my treadmill, and stop eating by 7pm.
Thanks!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It works for me, but not for everyone. You can try it and see how it affects you.

I leave breakfast til 9:30 or 10:00. I don't get hungry until then. It seems like if I eat breakfast when I get up, I actually get hungry more throughout the day and end up eating more calories.

ETA: And what @kommodevaran said. You can't change your metabolism, and there is no fat-burning mode. That's all woo made up to make you buy weight loss products. The ONLY thing that ultimately causes weight loss is eating fewer calories than your body uses. You can eat in whatever time frame works for you. Your body doesn't "store fat" if you eat late. It doesn't "rev up your metabolism" if you eat first thing in the morning. All woo!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast at all....
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I either push back breakfast or skip and eat a larger lunch, not too hungry in the AM. It helps! Definitely nothing to do with metabolism, simply because when I start eating for the day its hard for me to stop lol.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,197 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry at all when I wake up. My stomach doesn't wake up until about 10:30 and so that's when I have a small snack. Works for me ... and has nothing to do with metabolism.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think the difference in your metabolic rate is going to be negligible at best. But I believe eating at times that are comfortable to you can make a HUGE difference in how easy sticking to your calorie goal is.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't care when you eat. That said, if I eat breakfast I will be starving all day for whatever reason. I tend to just have a coffee in the morning and eat lunch between 11a-12p as my first meal.

It's really all about what works for you.

If your interested in IF there are health benefits, yes.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Wow two other people like me! I thought I was weird. If I eat breakfast I am hungrier and eat more all day than if I don't!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry on a morning and need my breakfast, if I don't have any I don't have the energy to do anything.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options

My breakfast is at 3/4 pm not sure if that counts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Ditto.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I can't do "break fast" before 11:00 a.m.. I am one of those that once I start eating its ON for the rest of day. I am hungrier after I eat for some reason. If I delay I can actually last longer.. stupid weird.

Metabolically and fat burning, unsure of anything about this and in my knowledge its not really a thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit, you are in fat burning mode...has nothing to do with what time you eat breakfast.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    This would supposedly push my metabolism into fat-burning mode.
    Complete woo.
    Burning fat is totally normal and usual - absolutely nothing has to be done to force it.

Eat in whatever pattern helps you to adhere to your calorie goal.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Your first meal of the day is breakfast technically... It doesn't have to be before noon and egg based.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Your first meal of the day is breakfast technically... It doesn't have to be before noon and egg based.

No doubt. I'm clued up on the topic. Thought I'd sprinkle a bit of sarcasm on the thread.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Skip that early morning meal. Eat at a time that works best for you.