Post anything you want (as long as it follows MFP guidelines)

Options

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    There's an opening somewhere in the house. Do you have an attic?

We do but the access to it is sealed quite well. Have a pest control guy coming on Tuesday to hopefully get to the bottom of it. Bats are protected here so If we find that they are living up there, this will be a huge problem.

I'd think they'd be able to clear them out without hurting them and seal up the hole.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,452 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    kjem3wb0jpja.png

Cracked me up ..it's true lol
  • km8907
    Options

We do but the access to it is sealed quite well. Have a pest control guy coming on Tuesday to hopefully get to the bottom of it. Bats are protected here so If we find that they are living up there, this will be a huge problem.

I'd think they'd be able to clear them out without hurting them and seal up the hole.

I have an acquaintance down the street who has lived with them for years because they can only remove them a certain time of year (I think it's fall) and she was quoted $4000 for the removal. It's illegal to kill them so it's not like I can just tent the house or bomb the attic. Really hoping this isn't the case. Some of the fireplaces aren't sealed. I'm hoping against hope that they're coming in there.

Damn that's crazy
  • km8907
    Options

I have an acquaintance down the street who has lived with them for years because they can only remove them a certain time of year (I think it's fall) and she was quoted $4000 for the removal. It's illegal to kill them so it's not like I can just tent the house or bomb the attic. Really hoping this isn't the case. Some of the fireplaces aren't sealed. I'm hoping against hope that they're coming in there.

Damn that's crazy

This house seems like one mistake after another most days

If renting weren't so expensive I'd say *kitten* it to home ownership.
  • myfplogin3973262
    myfplogin3973262 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I sold the house a year ago and can't be happier. Rain? Leaks? Land sliding, retaining walls creaking or broken? No water? Flooding? No power? Heavy trees falling across your driveway? Landscaping? Not my problem anymore. Besides, those services are shared among a few hundred renters and are much, much cheaper than calling a contractor just for you. Assuming that you can successfully entice one to come. I was waiting for a plumber for weeks (that is CA.)

Of course, it all depends. For a large family a house is cheaper than a rented apartment. For a small one the apartment is cheaper. And how do you attach a price tag to the peace of mind? I live now 10 minutes away from work, compared to 45-100 minutes before. Money-wise, the property tax was about 50% of the yearly rent, but you need to consider lost profit from the investment (there is no interest on the house) and the expenses on maintenance, which were HIGH. All in all, I am better off now. I can earn money, but I cannot earn time that I was wasting left and right on fixing this and that. And I am not chained to the property; I can leave basically whenever I want, modulo contract term.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    br1huqip8yvw.png
    84dace5h4lki.png

Eeeeeeeeeeek!!!!! :o This is when I wish I could just have the annaconda in my toilet instead.
  • km8907
    Options

I sold the house a year ago and can't be happier. Rain? Leaks? Land sliding, retaining walls creaking or broken? No water? Flooding? No power? Heavy trees falling across your driveway? Landscaping? Not my problem anymore. Besides, those services are shared among a few hundred renters and are much, much cheaper than calling a contractor just for you. Assuming that you can successfully entice one to come. I was waiting for a plumber for weeks (that is CA.)

Of course, it all depends. For a large family a house is cheaper than a rented apartment. For a small one the apartment is cheaper. And how do you attach a price tag to the peace of mind? I live now 10 minutes away from work, compared to 45-100 minutes before. Money-wise, the property tax was about 50% of the yearly rent, but you need to consider lost profit from the investment (there is no interest on the house) and the expenses on maintenance, which were HIGH. All in all, I am better off now. I can earn money, but I cannot earn time that I was wasting left and right on fixing this and that. And I am not chained to the property; I can leave basically whenever I want, modulo contract term.

I think it's because I work with seniors that renting scares me off. Someone on a fixed income, all of a sudden rent goes up and you can't afford to live there anymore. What do you do? Find somewhere cheaper to live? In my town that's hard to come by. Years long waiting list for low income housing. What are you supposed to do?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

That is ridiculous. I wonder if there are any natural remedies to repell bats. I know mice hate cinnamon and peppermint.
  • slivesey77
    slivesey77 Posts: 2,450 Member
    Options
    I've heard moth balls. Also, there are devices you plug in that gives off a high pitched sound that they don't like. Supposed to drive them out.
  • myfplogin3973262
    myfplogin3973262 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it's because I work with seniors that renting scares me off. Someone on a fixed income, all of a sudden rent goes up and you can't afford to live there anymore. What do you do? Find somewhere cheaper to live? In my town that's hard to come by. Years long waiting list for low income housing. What are you supposed to do?

The problem is that housing (and healthcare) are too expensive for too many. Homeowners are also facing unexpected costs, and you cannot just quit. Say, the water is gone; water comes from the well and is pumped uphill, but something is wrong and the tanks are empty. You have not a drop of water in the house... Happened more than once. Or, just a few messages above, bats in the attic - and you must pay big bucks for their relocation (or a $100 for an airgun if they are not protected, as far as you know.) At least in CA there is Proposition 13. In other states... not so much. Homeowner can be also driven out - and those costs are much higher than renter's. There may be too many reasons to sell one house and buy another, but it's enormously expensive. As one guy used to say, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark". It does not help anyone, rich or poor, that people cannot afford to live. This is what produces social unrest.

One of my friends left the city recently and moved to a village 300 miles away, where he bought a small house on the edge of a forest. This is the best he could afford, with his VA subsidies and all. I haven't been there yet. The house is below street level, under redwood trees. It's dark there even on a sunny day. He is happy.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    So we had a second bat in the house tonight. This is obviously not a coincidence and I don't want to live here anymore.

I was reading about that earlier. You probably have a colony living in your house.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    What's everyone up to this fine Saturday evening?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Also you have to trap them. It should not cost $4000 though. They have a no entry solution. Killing them is the worst way. I posted a website earlier with good info about it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    armd5h0a3sgv.png
    This is awesome! My guy would be aroused, no matter how many nips are sticking out!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Wanna go for a walk Harley?
    His answer?

32dyg2bb6xmj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.