Steel cut oats

Options
I'm trying REALLY hard but I just can't find the love for these oats... How do you other people do it!?

Replies

• kingdomtech
    kingdomtech Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't like them steel cut either. However, my wife bought a "flaker". It makes them the same consistency as instant oat meal (which I prefer). I also put a 1/2 tablespoon of strawberry preserves in it sometimes.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like them but they leave me extremely hungry for some reason. Old fashioned oats keep my full longer so I eat them instead.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I used to make them in the crock pot overnight and had them in the morning or packed them for lunch, usually with some nuts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you like flake?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think they're awesome...but if you don't like them, find something else to eat.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    don't eat what you don't like because you "should". Also, copper cut is better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Not every food is for everyone. I think they taste delicious.

Life is too short to force yourself to eat something you dislike.

This. Steel cut are my favorite -- I love the texture. Absolutely no reason to eat them if you don't like them, though.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I tried groats recently and found that they really have to be soaked over night before cooking. Maybe steel cut are similar?

But I agree with the other posters, if you've given them a fair try and don't like them, don't eat them.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    2nd the crock pot suggestion. I also like to blend mine up with smoothies, or mix them with yogurt as a parfait. Many different ways to try them.
    However, just because they meet some arbitrary definition of "healthy", doesn't mean you have to force feed them to yourself. As an example, avocados have many healthy nutrients, but despite that, I personally can't stand them and don't eat them. We all like different things..nothing wrong with that.

Have something else you do like instead. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Rather than the crock pot, my preferred way to cook steel cuts is in a rice cooker. When I have them I put them in the moment I get out of bed, go shower and get dressed, and then eat them (it's even better when I am running, as I put them in before my run and they are like my favorite post-run meal).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I crave them once in a blue moon but always find them disappointing unless I add a ton of calories to them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Tried them. I didn't really think they were better or worse than rolled oats.
    If you have to try that hard to eat something then don't. Steel cut oats are not magic. Eat other foods.
  • SusanKKO
    SusanKKO Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think they're pretty good with a spoon or two of peanut butter.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of oatmeal. I'll eat it once in a great while when I'm in the mood. It's too many calories for something that doesn't bring much pleasure
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I think they're delicious and I can flavor them so many different ways! But if you don't like them, don't eat them?
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal in general tastes like book binding paste.

Steel cut oats taste better to me than regular oatmeal -- I think they're the nut or kernal versus regular oatmeal which is just the leaves. But I have to add something to made them edible -- fruit, something.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Not a fan either. There are lots of other healthy options for breakfast though :)

**ALTHOUGH steel cut oats do make fantastic peanut butter cookies.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    PennWalker wrote: »
    Oatmeal in general tastes like book binding paste.

Steel cut oats taste better to me than regular oatmeal -- I think they're the nut or kernal versus regular oatmeal which is just the leaves. But I have to add something to made them edible -- fruit, something.

It is the exact same grain (oat groats) just processed differently. One method is cut and the other is steamed and flattened with a roller. It isn't a different part of the plant. http://agricultured.org/different-types-oatmeal/
  • sansathome
    sansathome Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have discovered oat bran hot cereal... oatmeal is too "slimy" for me but this is more like the texture of cream of wheat. 120 cal for serving and I add blueberries and 1/2 tsp of butter.... keeps me full until lunch... 6g fiber with 3g being soluble and 3 insoluble - only takes about 4 min in the microwave