stability ball???

Options
Has anyone logged exercise using a stability ball??? If so how much calories do you log?

Replies

• kimmie0627
    kimmie0627 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I read on another posat you burn up to 200 extra calories per hour you just sit on the satbility ball. I think I am going to get one just to sit on it instead of the sofa.
  • mab0669
    mab0669 Posts: 29
    Options
    That post that says you can burn 200 calories sitting on that ball for 1 hours has got to be wrong. I burn 100 calories on my treadmill in 20 minutes and when i'm done i'm sweating. I sit on my ball and i don't feel it is doing much. I mostly use my ball for sit ups, push ups and leg lifts, so I don't count that towards my aerobic activity since it doesn't get the heart pumping.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yes that a post going on right now but after a quick google search, yea it’s a good thing to do if you can to engage your core but as part of my office’s health and safety committee please don't fall down and stop if you experience back pain. Offices don't invest in expensive ergonomically sound chairs for nothing you know!

AND more importantly to MFP’ers, you only burn 4 calories more an hour on the ball then in a chair. THe 200 calories an hour are burned sitting in general, its not something you should log.

http://sweatscience.com/?p=728
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It is a core builder, you may want to log it as strength training. It was many weeks ago, but I did find a site once that said you would burn about double the calories on a ball compared to sitting in a chair. A different weight tracking site said that an average woman weighing 135 pounds would burn approximately 60 calories sitting. I couldn't find anything tonight to confirm or deny any of the calorie counts about sitting on a stability ball.
  • lds25
    lds25 Posts: 68
    Options
    Well just after posting this I went back to my ball to finish my workout, lost my balance, fell backwards, hit my head on the corner of the wall and just about knocked my block off! Well after a big lump, a huge headache and 2 traumatized sons I think the ball is going to be used less LOL!